Nebraska lands Chubba Purdy

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Also the team unity of a 3-9 team is probably the last thing we should be worried about maintaining.   I view the roster shakeups as a positive. 

Whatever type of “unity” there is that has led to multiple losing seasons and repeated one score losses needs to be shaken up. Not the type of environment you want to maintain.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, GSG said:

TIL that "Chubba" is the nickname his dad gave him when he hit 38 pounds at 1 year old. Also learned his real name is Preston.

tenor.gif

If he had kept going by Preston during his youth, I would expect him to be a future PGA Tour pro instead of a QB at a major school. Of course, I would say the same about Stetson Bennett IV. 

• Haha 1
On 1/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I could be wrong, but IMO Smothers was recruited for an offensive system that Frost was already trying to move away from with the recruitments of Haarberg and Torres (taller, not as fast QB's).  Frost wanted to have a QB who could run and got enamored with the speed and athleticism of McCaffrey and Smothers.  After 2-3 years of seeing his QB's get beat up and not be effective enough passers, Frost began to look at bigger QB's who could stay in the pocket more.  While Thompson and Purdy aren't big, tall QB's, they do seem to be better pocket passers than Smothers.    

Based on Thompson's comments, it doesn't sound like Frost wants to move away from a running QB nearly as much as some are making out. Thompson WANTS to run more than he has so far, and ran a lot of option previously (learned from his old man). Remember that he was originally recruited to Texas to run Tim Beck's offense. It's just that Sark's offense that doesn't utilize the QB run much.

19 minutes ago, Toe said:

Based on Thompson's comments, it doesn't sound like Frost wants to move away from a running QB nearly as much as some are making out. Thompson WANTS to run more than he has so far, and ran a lot of option previously (learned from his old man). Remember that he was originally recruited to Texas to run Tim Beck's offense. It's just that Sark's offense that doesn't utilize the QB run much.

Fair enough.  I think one of the big unknowns is how Whipple & Frost will marry the 2 systems and philosophies.  I like having a mobile QB, but I have seen that relying on QB to run 10+ times a game is not a strong strategy in the long run in the Big Ten.  He takes too many hits, which leads to injuries, which leads to ineffective passing.

No offense to 2AM, but some of the indecision to throw was trusting receivers.....  Often times it turned into pocket scrambling.  He mentioned trust a lot in his career. 

A guy like Casey will trust his ability, his arm strength, his quick release, and the spot to throw to.  It's up to the receiver to be there.  It's a difference worth noting. 

1 hour ago, admo said:

No offense to 2AM, but some of the indecision to throw was trusting receivers.....  Often times it turned into pocket scrambling.  He mentioned trust a lot in his career. 

A guy like Casey will trust his ability, his arm strength, his quick release, and the spot to throw to.  It's up to the receiver to be there.  It's a difference worth noting. 

That's all fine and dandy in theory.  But, after multiple interceptions because the WR isn't where he's supposed to be, any QB is going to start questioning that trust.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's all fine and dandy in theory.  But, after multiple interceptions because the WR isn't where he's supposed to be, any QB is going to start questioning that trust.

With the younger receivers that could be a problem. Hopefully the more experienced ones will be in the right spots for CT most of the time. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Whatever type of “unity” there is that has led to multiple losing seasons and repeated one score losses needs to be shaken up. Not the type of environment you want to maintain.

Would you prefer if more starters with eligibility transferred to different schools? Seems to be undervaluing a positive aspect of the program that Frost is building up.

According to the ever evolving opinions of some here, Omar Manning and others should have left before the Covid year but yet he and others are still here and praise Frost. 

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And of course, it'll be the QB who gets the blame from most people, even though the WR is the one who really screwed up.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Savage Husker said:

Would you prefer if more starters with eligibility transferred to different schools? Seems to be undervaluing a positive aspect of the program that Frost is building up.

According to the ever evolving opinions of some here, Omar Manning and others should have left before the Covid year but yet he and others are still here and praise Frost. 

I would prefer this team starts winning. Period. If shaking up the status quo is what it takes, I’m good. Fact is the team has been losing and underperforming so I really don’t care what the starters or others have to say about Frost. They need to make their case on fall Saturdays when it matters, not in sound bites with the media.