Nebraska lands Chubba Purdy

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

We are going to have a better starting QB with two competent back ups in the event Casey goes down.   I think we are in a good situation QB this season.  

Most definitely.  We've seen a fraction of what Logan can do, and bits of pieces of what Chubba can do.  The future of the QB room feels good. 

• 1 month later...

Purdy did do some 7-on-7 work to start spring, but will now fully enter the fray after recovering from a mild foot injury. It sounds like things are fine on that end, as Whipple said he even had the urge to throw Purdy out there for about eight to 10 snaps last week but decided they might as well make it to spring break and give him one more week of rest.

19 hours ago, hunter49 said:

that QB room is likely to thin out before fall, very crowded in there right now.

probably get down to 3 guys who can play, i would think.

I disagree.  Smoothers is the only one I can see possibly moving on but his recent comments sure don't make it sound like that is a consideration.  Haarberg and Torres are both injured so really no reason for them to do anything right now.  Purdy will at minimum see the year out.  I guess Casey could transfer if he is beat out of the starting role but that doesn't appear likely either.      

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Haarberg and Torres are both injured so really no reason for them to do anything right now.

Wait, Haarberg is injured? When did that happen? I thought it was Thompson + Smothers + Haarberg that were healthy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

I think they’ve got 3 or 4 guys capable of leading a team to 7-9 wins this fall.  But, if you’re stuck in the pass pass run pass run type schemes, it’s hard to tell which guy(s) is/are the most promising.  Each one offers a little different flavor. Haarberg, Masker, Torres, Thompson appear most like the passing oriented attack of Frost and probably Whip.  I think Purdy can be Adrian only significantly better as a thrower with less errors, and maybe slightly less a runner but close.   Smothers is the QB of a run oriented offense with passing as a secondary feature.    He maybe only a very marginal passer and not the type to throw 45 times a game. Imo. 
The other guys are unknowns at this point.   I am hopeful the coaches give several a real, honest, sincere chance to be the starter and even if one seems to lead, numbers 2 and 3 get a good shot to show.  We won’t make it thru season with just any one and still compete in every game, imo.  Sacks will happen with our inexperienced and shallow OL and very young backs and receivers. Blocking will be shaky.  A QB who can’t escape and evade and buy time and make tight throws spells doom in a majority of the schedule. Imo.  Thompson and Purdy show some. Uncertain Haarberg / Torres have enough escape in them for this fall. Future years?  Maybe if they a quick release and read D well.  

I personally think Purdy's total ceiling is way higher than Thompson's in terms of what he can do to lead an offense once he's fully developed as a QB. I think he's the most talented QB on the roster (in terms of just raw, untapped talent) and I also think he's the kind of quarterback that would do the most damage in the B1G.

...but he's a redshirt freshman.

If he transfers it will seriously be a huge hit to any momentum we may be building.