QB Zane Flores [Oklahoma State Commit]

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

He'll go somewhere, not start, transfer, get picked up by a power program, win the Heisman, win the NC, get drafted top 5, take his team to the Super Bowl......and Husker fans will condemn Frost and Whipple for not taking him.

Naaaa....that would never happen.

If he wins gatorade player of the year this is exactly what will happen 

On 2/16/2022 at 6:36 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I think more character. Supposedly he just rubbed the coaches and players the wrong way. I know it's just a first impression, and he's made another visit, but just something to keep in mind if NU is slow to offer. 

On 2/16/2022 at 9:54 AM, Huskers93-97 said:

Maybe they thought he was a prick? Whipple should like him then. 

On 2/16/2022 at 2:23 PM, Comish said:

Your " character" supposition is totally contrary to the bits of opinion I've heard. For instance, Benning on the radio raves about his humility and just going about his business.

I certainly don't have any inside scoop, but the gap on "character" opinion discrepancy is hard to figure.

Tying these together, maybe the "character" issue is he has too much for Whipple! He's not enough of a jerk. 

This will be interesting to watch though, it's a weird deal and I would expect at least a little contact from the staff. Now I wouldn't be totally shocked if he doesn't end up P5, nowadays offers aren't always committable. But it is different with local kids - hard to throw out a non-committable offer because then they get asked all the time why they haven't committed and have to explain it's not a real offer. I don't like it in any case, but it looks worse when it's local IMO.

QB is tough too because you only get one so mid-rated local guys (like Haarberg) are kind of a lose lose. He's probably not going to be one of the top guys on your board, so if you take him you are probably settling. Maybe that's canceled out by intangibles, maybe not. And if you don't take him, fans/local coaches are pissed - especially if the guy you do take doesn't produce, and realistically most QBs won't. 

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

Whip and Mickey need to go east and get this kid now. The lack of communication with a Nationally Ranked QB in their back yard who holds multiple P5 offers and 4 years of starting experience in Nebraskas highest level of high school ball is concerning. 

The talent level of what we recruited out of high school in 2022 and so far in 2023 is flat out not good. So just because this kid is from Nebraska doesn't mean he warrants an offer.

With that being said, the QB we got was recruited to ride the bench and bolster depth anyway, I suppose we could've placated fans by using the roster spot on a local kid.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The talent level of what we recruited out of high school in 2022 and so far in 2023 is flat out not good. So just because this kid is from Nebraska doesn't mean he warrants an offer.

With that being said, the QB we got was recruited to ride the bench and bolster depth anyway, I suppose we could've placated fans by using the roster spot on a local kid.

Terrible take lol. "the QB we got was recruited to ride the bench", not even worth engaging with stuff like that. 

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, Atbone95 said:

Terrible take lol. "the QB we got was recruited to ride the bench", not even worth engaging with stuff like that. 

Do you think a player rated an 84 is being brought into a QB room, all of whom have 3 years or more of eligibility, because the staff thinks he's going to start? 

Realistically the staff knows they can't sell anything to a high school QB who's talented. They aren't coming here for Frost. So they recruited this kid. He's likely going to redshirt and he's going to get his chance in a few years. What they're after is depth, knowing that they're going to lose a few members of the QB room to the portal this fall.

• Mavric changed the title to QB Zane Flores [Oklahoma State Commit]