QB Zane Flores [Oklahoma State Commit]

4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Do you think a player rated an 84 is being brought into a QB room, all of whom have 3 years or more of eligibility, because the staff thinks he's going to start? 

Realistically the staff knows they can't sell anything to a high school QB who's talented. They aren't coming here for Frost. So they recruited this kid. He's likely going to redshirt and he's going to get his chance in a few years. What they're after is depth, knowing that they're going to lose a few members of the QB room to the portal this fall.

I mean, you're going to believe what you want.  Generally speaking, higher-rated recruits tend to work out better.  But that's far from a lock.  A bunch of NFL QBs were three-star recruits including Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Nick Foles, Patrick Mahomes, Dak Prescott, Daniel Jones, Aaron Rogers, Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson and Jimmy Garoppolo was a two-star.  That's a third of the league and six of the last eight NFL MVPs.

It's an inexact science, especially for QBs.  

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean, you're going to believe what you want.  Generally speaking, higher-rated recruits tend to work out better.  But that's far from a lock.  A bunch of NFL QBs were three-star recruits including Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Nick Foles, Patrick Mahomes, Dak Prescott, Daniel Jones, Aaron Rogers, Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson and Jimmy Garoppolo was a two-star.  That's a third of the league and six of the last eight NFL MVPs.

It's an inexact science, especially for QBs.  

In not saying it's a lock, just that the probability of a 5* recruit becoming an all-conference/all-american/NFL draft pick is higher than a 4* player, which has a higher probability than a 3* player and so on. 

Realistically, a team sold follow the Blue Chip Ratio, which states that a roster should be 50% 4* recruits or higher. If the goal is to win conference championships, such is my goal as a fan, that's where Nebraska needs to aim. 

Personally, I don't think that Nebraska can reach 50%. Only 10 or so teams can.  But I think it's reasonable that Nebraska recruit 35%-40% of it's class be 4* or 5*, which translates to ~7-8 such players per year. Anything else isn't good enough.

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Do you think a player rated an 84 is being brought into a QB room, all of whom have 3 years or more of eligibility, because the staff thinks he's going to start? 

Realistically the staff knows they can't sell anything to a high school QB who's talented. They aren't coming here for Frost. So they recruited this kid. He's likely going to redshirt and he's going to get his chance in a few years. What they're after is depth, knowing that they're going to lose a few members of the QB room to the portal this fall.

No QB is being recruited with the staff having no thoughts of him being a competitor for the position at some point.

Realistically, some of those QBs with 3 years eligibility left are going to transfer at some point.

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Personally, I don't think that Nebraska can reach 50%. Only 10 or so teams can.  But I think it's reasonable that Nebraska recruit 35%-40% of it's class be 4* or 5*, which translates to ~7-8 such players per year. Anything else isn't good enough.

Per the 247 Composite, the 2019 class had 7 four-stars

The 2020 class had 10 four-stars.

Then we lost a ton of our ability to recruit due to COVID.

But even by your own admission, there has to be quite a few three-stars in each class.  And he's one of them.  That's how it goes.

• Plus1 1

I'm a big Flores fan cause I have watched him play a few times over the last 2 years and he always stuck out to me over anyone else I have watched at QB.  

Saying that,  after reading on various message boards and news articles about Watson,  the only thing holding him back from being a 4* or 5* is his height.  He camped at tOSU last summer and Day flat out told him that he would be their class QB if he were taller.   They really liked how he threw and moved around in the pocket. 

53 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I'm a big Flores fan cause I have watched him play a few times over the last 2 years and he always stuck out to me over anyone else I have watched at QB.  

Saying that,  after reading on various message boards and news articles about Watson,  the only thing holding him back from being a 4* or 5* is his height.  He camped at tOSU last summer and Day flat out told him that he would be their class QB if he were taller.   They really liked how he threw and moved around in the pocket. 

@Stumpy1, don't you think this kid is gonna be a at least a low 4*?  I would think so.  If Whip has been on this kid since the 6th grade, then he has to be legit [or we have place way too much confidence in Whip].  

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Per the 247 Composite, the 2019 class had 7 four-stars

The 2020 class had 10 four-stars.

Then we lost a ton of our ability to recruit due to COVID.

But even by your own admission, there has to be quite a few three-stars in each class.  And he's one of them.  That's how it goes.

Those recruiting classes, in my opinion, were good enough at first. Unfortunately many left the program, but that happens anywhere. I'm unsure if Nebraska has more 4* players leave compared to other programs however. 

Nebraska needs to recruit at that level 4 years in a row, which Frost is currently unable to do. Each year removed from that level is another year of rebuilding added to the program. Now, for the 2023 class, they're already falling behind.

Recruiting is more than stars and class ratings.  It must be focused on areas of most urgent need and of course, imo, winning some games this fall is absolutely critical.  Another losing season will be very very impactful.  So far, recent recruiting has been, overall, better targeted but still need those big guys on the lines to make a jump back into the middle or upper middle of the league.  There seems to be a very focused effort. Results on the field is the next major step. 

3 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Hopefully he can turn out to be a more athletic version of Chase Daniels 

14 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Those recruiting classes, in my opinion, were good enough at first. Unfortunately many left the program, but that happens anywhere. I'm unsure if Nebraska has more 4* players leave compared to other programs however. 

Nebraska needs to recruit at that level 4 years in a row, which Frost is currently unable to do. Each year removed from that level is another year of rebuilding added to the program. Now, for the 2023 class, they're already falling behind.

They’re not falling behind for the 2023 class. With five commits already and you’re looking at a class of 16-20 this year of freshman, it’s a good start. Plus you’ve got 2-3 more instate offers to kids that if they accept, we’ll gladly take them. That’s basically half of your freshman class right there.  

4 hours ago, Huskadeez said:

They’re not falling behind for the 2023 class. With five commits already and you’re looking at a class of 16-20 this year of freshman, it’s a good start. Plus you’ve got 2-3 more instate offers to kids that if they accept, we’ll gladly take them. That’s basically half of your freshman class right there.  

It will end up being over 20, pushing 25. All this year people said 2022 would be such a small class, 11-12, and it was always going to be low ranked because of that, to excuse the lower average star ranking. Then we took 18, similar to a lot of schools ranked higher than us, and those people were nowhere to be found to talk about the low 40 something ranking that came with it.  Kids leave every year and we will take more than the 16-20 they expect now.

• Haha 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Zane Flores [Oklahoma State Commit]