QB Zane Flores [Oklahoma State Commit]

• 1 month later...

18 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Weren't Johnny Stanton and Christian Gebbia Elite 11 guys?? 

Not a good track record for us.

I don't know they were both highly regarded.  This just feels like another recruiting miss in the making.  Maybe it's just because he's a local kid.

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

This just feels like another recruiting miss in the making.  Maybe it's just because he's a local kid.

If he turns out to be pretty good, I'm sure many will label it as a "miss", especially if Watson doesn't pan out.

But I think that would be an unfair characterization (potentially).  It's simply a case of bad timing.  We brought in a guy who already had been recruiting another guy that he liked and would have to start from square one with Flores.  When recruiting QBs, you don't really have time to do that.  You grab the guy you want when you can get them.  You can't really afford to slow play one while you build a relationship with another and risk losing them both.  

Had Whipple been here a year earlier, that's different.  But I don't think it's fair to call it a miss.  It's not like he really chose one guy over the other.  He chose a guy he had been recruiting for years over a guy he doesn't even know.

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Mavric said:

If he turns out to be pretty good, I'm sure many will label it as a "miss", especially if Watson doesn't pan out.

But I think that would be an unfair characterization (potentially).  It's simply a case of bad timing.  We brought in a guy who already had been recruiting another guy that he liked and would have to start from square one with Flores.  When recruiting QBs, you don't really have time to do that.  You grab the guy you want when you can get them.  You can't really afford to slow play one while you build a relationship with another and risk losing them both.  

Had Whipple been here a year earlier, that's different.  But I don't think it's fair to call it a miss.  It's not like he really chose one guy over the other.  He chose a guy he had been recruiting for years over a guy he doesn't even know.

His profile here shows an offer from Pitt.  When did that offer happen?  Before or after Whipple left?

21 hours ago, Mavric said:

It may not be Whipple's fault but to not even really contact an instate player with what could be some pretty good college talent, seems pretty inexcusable.  At least show SOME interest.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

It may not be Whipple's fault but to not even really contact an instate player with what could be some pretty good college talent, seems pretty inexcusable.  At least show SOME interest.

Eh. I'd rather have us say.

"Man kid, you're really damn good, we wish we could take you, but we only have room for one scholarship QB this year and I've been recruiting this other kid since he was in 7th grade, so we're going to take him. We wish you the absolute best in your career, and if things change don't be afraid to reach out, you never know what the future holds." 

Than 

"Well, we're kind of full, but here is a non-committable offer that's really just for show, or you know what, we could offer you a walk-on spot and you could earn a scholarship later, if it works out." 

The first one respects his talent and his time, is open and honest. The last one feels like a used car salesman trying to talk you into buying a 1972 Pinto because he doesn't have what you really want on the lot. 

28 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Eh. I'd rather have us say.

"Man kid, you're really damn good, we wish we could take you, but we only have room for one scholarship QB this year and I've been recruiting this other kid since he was in 7th grade, so we're going to take him. We wish you the absolute best in your career, and if things change don't be afraid to reach out, you never know what the future holds." 

Than 

"Well, we're kind of full, but here is a non-committable offer that's really just for show, or you know what, we could offer you a walk-on spot and you could earn a scholarship later, if it works out." 

The first one respects his talent and his time, is open and honest. The last one feels like a used car salesman trying to talk you into buying a 1972 Pinto because he doesn't have what you really want on the lot. 

And what about before whipple?

• 4 weeks later...

Zane Flores, Gretna (Neb.)- Oklahoma State

The Cowboys do a really nice job of evaluating and developing quarterbacks and they found another gem in Flores. He's a stock up guy right now and his game projects well to the next level. He was very productive as a junior and his 70% completion rate is about as good as you'll see. He showed off that accuracy Tuesday and a live arm to go with it. He moves well in the pocket, gets the ball out quick and looks primed for a strong week. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...