QB Zane Flores [Oklahoma State Commit]

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

It will end up being over 20, pushing 25. All this year people said 2022 would be such a small class, 11-12, and it was always going to be low ranked because of that, to excuse the lower average star ranking. Then we took 18, similar to a lot of schools ranked higher than us, and those people were nowhere to be found to talk about the low 40 something ranking that came with it.  Kids leave every year and we will take more than the 16-20 they expect now.

It is still early for 2023 recruiting to expect a big number of commits in light of the extra 1100 players in the transfer portal being about a third of the number of D1 scholarships for all the schools.  Likely that many for next year again so it is likely that class numbers in the Dec 22 signing will be in the mid teens.  

And Neb recruiting is just NOT going to be top twenty level when the program has been so poor for so long.  Of course, the real measure is the finished product on the field every fall.  At 3-9, 4-8, etc, we are just not a good football team or program yet.  Frost & Co will struggle. I tend to believe his recruiting has been better than what you would expect.  The on field results have been the shortcoming imo.  

The biggest issue with recruiting in the past 5-6 years has been an imbalance of recruits across all the positions, especially in the lines and QB.  They have fixed, presumably, QB now so going forward, if they can keep and develop  most of them, and bring in 1 each year from now on, it will really help.  We need to reload, not rebuild but that takes 4-5 years of steady, incremental improvement and doesn’t happen in one or two magical years. Sad as it is say about my Huskers. 

It also would really help the win-loss deal if they can actually get a couple of ‘great’ players that are difference makers.  It’s been a long time since NU has had any imo.  

• Plus1 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:06 AM, runningblind said:

It will end up being over 20, pushing 25. All this year people said 2022 would be such a small class, 11-12, and it was always going to be low ranked because of that, to excuse the lower average star ranking. Then we took 18, similar to a lot of schools ranked higher than us, and those people were nowhere to be found to talk about the low 40 something ranking that came with it.  Kids leave every year and we will take more than the 16-20 they expect now.

You're doing a lot of exaggerating here.

Pretty sure there was never numbers like 11-12 thrown out.  It was more like 13-15 was the expectation.  And I think most of the extras were because the new offensive coaches brought some highly-ranked guys with them.  We were not planning to take five WRs but Joseph could get Palmer and Crawford.  Palmer isn't in the above numbers but we probably would have taken fewer other WRs if we knew he was a possibility.  We were only looking at one RB until Applewhite brought Allen along.  And Jaeden Gould was a late surprise that you have to take.

So they weren't intentionally undershooting the numbers, just the situation changed.  And I don't think there is any way we can get to 20 this year, barring a mass exodus.  With the five commits we have now, we'd be at 84 if everyone else came back.  Obviously they won't but I don't think there will be 14 early exits.  And that's before any transfers are taken, and there will be some of those.

The issue is we have 27 scholarship sophomores this year.  Until that "class" makes it though, the numbers will be odd.  

15 is the number I've seen for this class before transfers.  With the transfers, it will be 20 or a bit more.  And that's still a lot of guys leaving to get back down to 85.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

You're doing a lot of exaggerating here.

Pretty sure there was never numbers like 11-12 thrown out.  It was more like 13-15 was the expectation.  And I think most of the extras were because the new offensive coaches brought some highly-ranked guys with them.  We were not planning to take five WRs but Joseph could get Palmer and Crawford.  Palmer isn't in the above numbers but we probably would have taken fewer other WRs if we knew he was a possibility.  We were only looking at one RB until Applewhite brought Allen along.  And Jaeden Gould was a late surprise that you have to take.

So they weren't intentionally undershooting the numbers, just the situation changed.  And I don't think there is any way we can get to 20 this year, barring a mass exodus.  With the five commits we have now, we'd be at 84 if everyone else came back.  Obviously they won't but I don't think there will be 14 early exits.  And that's before any transfers are taken, and there will be some of those.

The issue is we have 27 scholarship sophomores this year.  Until that "class" makes it though, the numbers will be odd.  

15 is the number I've seen for this class before transfers.  With the transfers, it will be 20 or a bit more.  And that's still a lot of guys leaving to get back down to 85.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/recruiting/why-is-the-huskers-2022-recruiting-class-ranked-so-low/article_92408dbc-5d10-11ec-a003-bbd7726d5ad7.html

This said 12 or 13 expected, so I was pretty close.  Hardly exaggerating there.  We signed 18, and while some of that is the coaching changes sure, that's still 50% over that 12-13 number.

What I am saying is there always seems to be more attrition than people expect. We just had 2 more leave yesterday for example. 

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/recruiting/why-is-the-huskers-2022-recruiting-class-ranked-so-low/article_92408dbc-5d10-11ec-a003-bbd7726d5ad7.html

This said 12 or 13 expected, so I was pretty close.  Hardly exaggerating there.  We signed 18, and while some of that is the coaching changes sure, that's still 50% over that 12-13 number.

What I am saying is there always seems to be more attrition than people expect. We just had 2 more leave yesterday for example. 

Eh, one guy who's not really even a recruiting guy.

Here I saw 14-15

Here they again said 14 though mentioned it could be as high as 16-17

Here a recruit said the coaches told him 14

Here Decked said 13-16

So really that article is the only time I ever saw it listed as small as 12.  It was more likely that the range was closer to 18 than 11.

And none of that accounts for any allowance for what they thought they could get an who was interested, which changed drastically late in the class.

• Fire 1
On 2/16/2022 at 11:05 AM, BigRedBuster said:

He'll go somewhere, not start, transfer, get picked up by a power program, win the Heisman, win the NC, get drafted top 5, take his team to the Super Bowl......and Husker fans will condemn Frost and Whipple for not taking him.

Naaaa....that would never happen.

Just revisiting this prediction.

• Haha 1

Pretty neat watching the OP develop and grow.  From "here's a QB from Gretna, to a Bowling Green offer, to a possible Ohio State visit".  I am really rooting for the kid.  Even though I am ultimately very happy with Watson.  Plus we have Torres on campus and a larger QB room.  Having said all that, I wouldn't be thrilled if Flores goes to a B1G opponent.  Outside of the conference, I'm okay with and will root for him for sure.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Zane Flores [Oklahoma State Commit]