RB competiton

As sure as he sits before you, Brandon Jackson remains an integral part of Nebraska’s I-back picture. He may be forgotten by some. But he’s not gone.

Even Jackson, however, understands that he tends to be overlooked at times.

“Hopefully I can shock a lot of people and bring my name back out there,” said the 5-foot-11, 210-pound Jackson, smiling broadly as he discussed his return from offseason shoulder surgery.

Jackson, in his first live action in seven months, reeled off a 15-yard run during a full-scale scrimmage Saturday. Nebraska coach Bill Callahan praised Jackson’s hard running.

Nearly two weeks into preseason drills, Husker coaches say none of the four I-backs in competition has separated from the pack. As for Jackson, he’s clearly glad to be part of the race after twice being shelved by shoulder injuries.

Make no mistake, Jackson said, the I-back battle is intense, with each player receiving essentially the same share of practice repetitions.

“It’s a fast, high tempo in practice,” Jackson said. “You don’t have much time to rest. Even though there are four backs, the reps go pretty quick. Everybody’s working together. Every back is pushing each other, making each other work that much harder. That’s what I like to see.”

Callahan said Jackson appears 100 percent healthy.

“I’ve always had my intensity high,” said Jackson, a native of Horn Lake, Miss. (population 14,000). “Even after I had my surgery, I always did my rehab intensely so I could get back out here and be full-go.”

Perhaps Jackson will return to the form he flashed in 2004 as a true freshman. He rushed for 390 yards and six touchdowns while adding 359 yards on 17 kickoff returns, an average of 21.1 yards per attempt. His progress was slowed the following spring by a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

After appearing in nine games and rushing for just 52 yards last season, Jackson missed all of this year’s spring practice following surgery to repair a torn labrum in his other shoulder.

Jackson faded to the background as I-backs Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn emerged as true freshmen last season behind starter Cory Ross. Then, this past offseason, Nebraska brought to camp heralded Kenny Wilson, a transfer from Butler County (Kan.) Community College.

Now Nebraska coaches tout a “by-committee” approach at I-back.

One can see why Jackson might still be flying under the radar somewhat.

“He’s never flown under my radar,” Callahan said. “He’s always been a quality back in my eyes.”

Truth be told, Jackson said, he’s accustomed to being somewhat overlooked.

“I’m always the guy who’s not in the spotlight,” he said. “I know there’s always new people coming in and out of the program. When I was recruited here, I didn’t think I was really in the spotlight, and I was OK with all that. I don’t worry about that kind of stuff. I just keep my head in the playbook and keep my work ethic where it’s supposed to be.”

Jackson has added 15 pounds since his freshman season. He said he recently ran a 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds.

“He’s big — he’s ripped,” Lucky said. “He’s going to be good this year. We’re all going to be good.”

Callahan, meanwhile, continues to adeptly avoid comments that might indicate an I-back has an edge.

“I’m really pleased with the way the backs are working and running,” the coach said. “Now, we can always get better. They can run a little bit lower. They can get their pads down.”

Said Jackson: “It just feels great to be back out here again, getting hit, grinding. I love it. It’s the game.”

Briefly

With 10 of 18 preseason practices in the books, Nebraska players were given Sunday off. The Huskers resume practice with two sessions today.

***SNIP***

Nearly two weeks into preseason drills, Husker coaches say none of the four I-backs in competition has separated from the pack.

***SNIP***

It would be interesting if the coaches would list - for each back - what it is that is keeping them from obtaining that "seperation". What is it that each back needs to do better?

We can assume it isn't the running, per se - we know they all can run. So, what is it?

IIRC last year he was reported as one of the fastest guys on the team. I was thinking Tierre and Shanle were a couple of the others. IF he isn't playing tentative to those shoulders this year look out, BJax could be our main man. not quite as big as KW but close, and he has been in the system the longest.

***SNIP***

Nearly two weeks into preseason drills, Husker coaches say none of the four I-backs in competition has separated from the pack.

***SNIP***

It would be interesting if the coaches would list - for each back - what it is that is keeping them from obtaining that "seperation". What is it that each back needs to do better?

We can assume it isn't the running, per se - we know they all can run. So, what is it?

ill venture a guess and assume its their pass blocking abilities.

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

ill venture a guess and assume its their pass blocking abilities.

Outside of knowing the playbook, and running ability I would venture to say...

#1. pass protection

#2. catchin ability

Would be nice if we can get a couple of Ross'esque middle screens for 75 yards and a TD.

Niceto be like to the good ol' days when we had a stable of quality running backs. Now it's up to Coach Callahan to come up with the game plan to utilize them properly.

That's the big question. Early on in Calahans tenure we heard about a power running game and how it was an integral part of the west coast style offense. We also heard about how adaptable it was to the personnel that were available to be put on the field. I'll be anxious to see how he is able to utilize the talent he has and adapt to it rather than force a system that doesn't have the personnel needed. I'm confident he'll do fine but anxious to see for sure.

With a solid O line the offense should be fun to watch this year.

pound that rock baby. smash mouth football. run it down their neck. running the ball creates an identity, and we definatly have one of the most talented back fields in he conference. the POTENTIAL that they all have is NFL caliber. they just need to put it together. i cant wait for the season to start, we gonna be good.

I have a feeling all the running backs will have a "package" of plays or situations that they will be used in.

I also have a feeling that the ones that can line up at wr and shift to rb or vice versa will be used. There will also be times when they are all on the field I think.