OG Sam Sledge

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

14 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Sledge commit?

• Nebraska
    • Miami (OH)
    • Kansas State

This poll is closed to new votes

Supposedly dad Bob is pretty impressed with Raiola.  He said Raiola is the first OL coach that they've seen teach line play how Bob was taught (no specifics on what that is).  Significantly different than any other college coach they've talked to.  Obviously dad is probably biased to that way but he said he thought the line would be better under that system.

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Supposedly dad Bob is pretty impressed with Raiola.  He said Raiola is the first OL coach that they've seen teach line play how Bob was taught (no specifics on what that is).  Significantly different than any other college coach they've talked to.  Obviously dad is probably biased to that way but he said he thought the line would be better under that system.

So is it concerning that our new OL coach is the only college coach teaching line play like they did in the 80s? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because I'm sure Raiola's college, NFL, and assistant coaching experience under some really good coaches have informed his style. But at first glance "he teaches like I was taught back in the 80s! No one does that any more!" is maybe not the ringing endorsement Bob thinks it is. 

• Plus1 1
On 1/22/2022 at 9:31 PM, Mavric said:

Father Bob was an All-Big Eight LT for Nebraska in '87 and '88 and a member of the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame.

First ever freshman to start for Prep (on the OL???)

Yes, it has to be first on the OL. I know that Vondrae Tostenson started at WR for them back in the mid-2000s.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Wistrom Disciple said:

Vondrae actually started at Omaha Central and then transferred to Prep before ending up at Millard South. Talk about a talent wasted... dude was unreal but couldn't stay focused on the bigger picture. 

That’s right, my bad! Here’s hoping that Sledge has a more successful career.

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 9:37 AM, Husker in WI said:

So is it concerning that our new OL coach is the only college coach teaching line play like they did in the 80s? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because I'm sure Raiola's college, NFL, and assistant coaching experience under some really good coaches have informed his style. But at first glance "he teaches like I was taught back in the 80s! No one does that any more!" is maybe not the ringing endorsement Bob thinks it is. 

I don't know if OL technique has changed all that much. They down blocked, zone blocked, pulled, trap and had different types of pass sets in 80s. I think it may be that with Whipples system, the schemes and technique are more aligned with what NU used to do back then. 

Forget where I saw this... Maybe it was Callahan. Anyways, the difference was summed up in man assignment vs zone assignment. 

Austin and previous staff were notorious for zone schemes, where OL blocked to a location and only hit the man/picked up the blitz in that spot/gap. By nature, this is more reactionary - "wait to see who comes into my zone".

Raiola is emphasizing a more man to man approach - fire off the ball to the second level and hit the MLB, for example. That is how I heard the main difference explained, FWIW.  

• Plus1 3
  • Mavric changed the title to OG Sam Sledge
  • Mavric pinned this topic