Your Confidence Level - New Coaches & Portal Additions

TGHusker

Coaches & Portal Upgrades  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, after being away for 2 weeks doing the covid dance, I have wanted to get a pulse on everyone's confidence level at this point and how 

it has or has not changed since TA reconfigured Scott's contract and Scott let go of most of his O staff.

Major changes:

New coaches:   Are you comfortable wt each new coach?

Portal:  Potentially huge portal gains - across the board?  Does the influx of new experienced talent improve your out look for 2022?

Some thoughts:

Generally, I'm pretty excited about the coaching changes.  It all has to be proven on the field (that I know is the mantra of everyone so let me say it upfront). 

I think the new OC will infuse new ideas and life into the offences and hopefully be a mentor to SF.

Joseph is the cream - he is already showing his potential.

Having a dedicated ST coach will be worth a win or 2 in itself.

I'm excited not only by the portal gains but also the JUCU transfers.  Some great talent.  We will be a totally different looking team.

My main concerns:

OL:  all of these good feelings and gains can come to naught if our OL does not improve by leaps and bounds next year.  This is also where there is more doubt in my mind regarding

the new OL coach- can he pull it off??

Defense: Even if the offense turns it around next year, we'll have a young D.  Can Chin and gang take the infusion of new talent, plus existing young talent and make the D the 

strength that it was in 2021?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Ok, after being away for 2 weeks doing the covid dance, I have wanted to get a pulse on everyone's confidence level at this point and how 

it has or has not changed since TA reconfigured Scott's contract and Scott let go of most of his O staff.

Major changes:

Portal:  Potentially huge portal gains - across the board?  Does the influx of new experienced talent improve your out look for 2022?

Some thoughts:

Generally, I'm pretty excited about the coaching changes.  It all has to be proven on the field (that I know is the mantra of everyone so let me say it upfront). 

I think the new OC will infuse new ideas and life into the offences and hopefully be a mentor to SF.

I'm excited not only by the portal gains but also the JUCU transfers.  Some great talent.  We will be a totally different looking team.

My main concerns:

OL:  all of these good feelings and gains can come to naught if our OL does not improve by leaps and bounds next year.  This is also where there is more doubt in my mind regarding

Defense: Even if the offense turns it around next year, we'll have a young D.  Can Chin and gang take the infusion of new talent, plus existing young talent and make the D the 

Pretty much encapsulates a Cliff Notes version for me. 

5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Major changes:

Some thoughts:

My main concerns:

Firstly, hopefully you are getting along much better. Can sure be a nasty bug! Had it myself beginning Dec. 22nd. I'm still dealing with some of the aftermath. Lots of congestion issues now and headaches. 

I think that many sense the situation similar with you. My biggest concern is the OL. It is KEY to our success next season. Another concern I have is how reliable of a rushing game we'll have. The RB's need to get rolling sooner. 1 or 2 need to be identified in short order. The defense will gather momentum through the season with experience. The special teams will improve I'm sure.

One can appreciate the patience. The sense of urgency needs to carry over into the team. As of right now. An across the board evaluation was necessary. Scott's demonstrated a willingness to make adjustments. They're all upgrades IMO. And, they've acquired a number of players to give the personnel a boost.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Our passing attack could potentially be very, very good. Then it's a question of how well the other areas of the game can be complementary to it.  

24 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Major changes:

Some thoughts:

My main concerns:

I am trying to find a middle ground between debbie downer and Kool-aid drinker.

I think Frost has finally acted like someone whose butt is red hot. He has added some great talent and if this doesnt work, I feel good in moving on because he was given a fair shot.

That being said, nothing SF has done has given me much hope in his ability as a coach. He makes some really bad in-game decisions that just make me think he is in over his head. 

Part of me is ok if we fall on our face this year because then we get to hit reset.

Part of me hopes that a strong OC gives SF a chance to focus elsewhere and be a true HC and not a OC/HC who cant manage the big picture.

Week 1 against NW is CRUCIAL in my mind. 

The teams schedule gives them a legit chance to win quite a few games. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7-8 wins.  Much more aggregate coaching experience with the new staff additions will be the most important factor, IMO.  CT looks promising as QB and could end up being really good.  I'm looking for more RB and WR production/consistency and I think we'll see that with coaching upgrades at both spots.  I'm now on the Chin's bandwagon, so I think the defense could be just as good as last season if the secondary additions pan out as we hope.  ST will be significantly better with Coach Busch.  Bank on that.  The biggest question mark for me is the O-Line and what that looks like.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

OL coach is the weakest hire,

from being on the outside looking in!   sf brought more bad coaches to this staff then good ones.   Development has almost been non-excistant!

Which of the coaches on our staff would you consider bad? 

OC/QB- Whipple

DC- Chinander

AHC/WR Coach- Joseph

ST Coord- Busch

RB- Applewhite

TE- Beckton

OL-Raiola

DL-Dawson

LB-Ruud

DB-Fisher

26 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I am trying to find a middle ground between debbie downer and Kool-aid drinker.

I think Frost has finally acted like someone whose butt is red hot. He has added some great talent and if this doesnt work, I feel good in moving on because he was given a fair shot.

That being said, nothing SF has done has given me much hope in his ability as a coach. He makes some really bad in-game decisions that just make me think he is in over his head. 

Part of me is ok if we fall on our face this year because then we get to hit reset.

Part of me hopes that a strong OC gives SF a chance to focus elsewhere and be a true HC and not a OC/HC who cant manage the big picture.

Week 1 against NW is CRUCIAL in my mind. 

The teams schedule gives them a legit chance to win quite a few games. 

Agree with all of this. 

but I truly have no prediction, or expectation, for wins or losses. I think coaching wise we took a giant leap forward on the offensive side. A couple of older guys that can mentor frost is a bonus to their football and recruiting savvy 

19 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

OL coach is the weakest hire,

from being on the outside looking in!   sf brought more bad coaches to this staff then good ones.   Development has almost been non-excistant!

Is weak, or young and unproven? 

5 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Agree with all of this. 

but I truly have no prediction, or expectation, for wins or losses. I think coaching wise we took a giant leap forward on the offensive side. A couple of older guys that can mentor frost is a bonus to their football and recruiting savvy 

Is weak, or young and unproven? 

Teven Jenkins on the Bears told Hunter Anthony that he would have loved an opportunity to play for Raiola in college. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Just improving special teams will improve the record substantially. The rest mostly comes down to the O line. But I'll be honest: I think the odds of Raiola producing a quick turnaround with the line are slim to none. Maybe in the long run it'll work out, but as far as I'm concerned, we're starting from zero with the group that takes the longest to develop, and doing it with an unproven coach.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

As others have said it will really come down to OL development. I think our RB talent is greatly improved- will the OL open holes??  If Casey Thompson is as advertised I think we’ll have an excellent passing game.  Joseph will have the receivers ready. Again does the OL give the QB the opportunity to execute the passing game?

one could say that HCSF’s career is in the hands of the OL and their coach

2 hours ago, M.A. said:

Firstly, hopefully you are getting along much better. Can sure be a nasty bug! Had it myself beginning Dec. 22nd. I'm still dealing with some of the aftermath. Lots of congestion issues now and headaches. 

Im doing much better. Thanks for your thoughts —about a week of 102 temperature plus the other junk was no fun. Went back to work today after a 2 week absence 

• Fire 1