Your Confidence Level - New Coaches & Portal Additions

TGHusker

Coaches & Portal Upgrades  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Part of me hopes that a strong OC gives SF a chance to focus elsewhere and be a true HC and not a OC/HC who cant manage the big picture.

So I wonder what does it look like when the game is on the line. Does SF insert himself as HC and pull rank or does he patiently let his OC or DC play it out?   What is CEO Frost to do?  Typically that is when he got out coached

• Thanks 1

I am reservedly excited.  I think the Whipple and Thompson additions are enough to get us to a bowl game.

I am excited about the newcomers, I think they will have an immediate impact.

Outside of saving some cash, I don't see the point of keeping a coach that you're kind of just hoping doesn't get in the way.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
4 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Which of the coaches on our staff would you consider bad? 

OC/QB- Whipple

DC- Chinander

AHC/WR Coach- Joseph

ST Coord- Busch

RB- Applewhite

TE- Beckton

OL-Raiola

DL-Dawson

LB-Ruud

DB-Fisher

Raiola has the biggest question mark.   Will see after this season if it was a good or bad hire!     We'll learn a lot about Chinander this year. 

• Fire 2
8 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Im doing much better. Thanks for your thoughts —about a week of 102 temperature plus the other junk was no fun. Went back to work today after a 2 week absence 

That's good. Had three consecutive days of mid 104 degree temps. As high as 105.1. Never experienced anything like it. Still can barely smell and taste.  Can really affect one's nasal and lung passages. Glad that you're feeling better and back to work!

11 hours ago, The Dude said:

Outside of saving some cash, I don't see the point of keeping a coach that you're kind of just hoping doesn't get in the way.

And that is the sorry situation.  Do we have a $5m had coach in name only?   Seems to me that Joseph and Whip will be the true mature coaches on the field.  I hope SF can learn big time on how to be a CEO.  

• Fire 2
7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And that is the sorry situation.  Do we have a $5m had coach in name only?   Seems to me that Joseph and Whip will be the true mature coaches on the field.  I hope SF can learn big time on how to be a CEO.  

People act like Frost might as well not even be on the field.  He's the CEO so he might as well just be up in the sky box sipping a beer while the real coaches coach on the field.

That won't be how this works.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, Toe said:

Just improving special teams will improve the record substantially. The rest mostly comes down to the O line. But I'll be honest: I think the odds of Raiola producing a quick turnaround with the line are slim to none. Maybe in the long run it'll work out, but as far as I'm concerned, we're starting from zero with the group that takes the longest to develop, and doing it with an unproven coach.

I agree. Special Teams was a complete disaster last year. I have often wondered if we tried to do too much on offense. if we simplified some things, I believe the o line can get it done. I would love to see a fullback. Works for the 49er's. Bill Walsh once said, and I am paraphrasing here, "Do you want to run a ton of plays and be pretty good at them, or a few plays and run to perfection?".

We gotta clean up the basic fundamentals. I honestly think we will be fine next year.  

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

I agree. Special Teams was a complete disaster last year. I have often wondered if we tried to do too much on offense. if we simplified some things, I believe the o line can get it done. I would love to see a fullback. Works for the 49er's. Bill Walsh once said, and I am paraphrasing here, "Do you want to run a ton of plays and be pretty good at them, or a few plays and run to perfection?".

We gotta clean up the basic fundamentals. I honestly think we will be fine next year.  

What makes you believe Frost will suddenly change his system ?  This is my concern.  STs were not special at UCF really and the offense is basically unchanged.  A handful of 1 RB option runs a game and a reduction of the swing pass / jailbreak screen type passes is about all I’ve noticed.  Both - seemingly a response to fan outcry!   I hope you are right but seeing is believing for me.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Basically.   Having a CEO head coach is fine as long as he's a monster recruiter.  Since Frost isn't that I don't really see the point of dragging him along.  Joseph is a much better fit in that role imo.

10 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Raiola has the biggest question mark.   Will see after this season if it was a good or bad hire!     We'll learn a lot about Chinander this year. 

I have learned a lot about chins each year he has been here and continued to improve with an offense and special teams that hung him and the defense out to dry all the time. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

What makes you believe Frost will suddenly change his system ?  This is my concern.  STs were not special at UCF really and the offense is basically unchanged.  A handful of 1 RB option runs a game and a reduction of the swing pass / jailbreak screen type passes is about all I’ve noticed.  Both - seemingly a response to fan outcry!   I hope you are right but seeing is believing for me.  

Think that we're going to be surprised.  I've got a pretty good idea what the offense will be like. Scott's going to be much less involved. It might not be easy for him but he's doing it. He's been attempting to control too many things. The effort, while earnest, wasn't nearly effective enough. He's learning. Sometimes when a person is too close to issues, the picture isn't easy to see or acknowledge.

Staff members needed to go earlier. Determination accounts for a lot. So too the ability to adjust, adapt and make tough calls. He's serious about getting things turned around and right.  Will he be too tardy in making necessary changes remains to be seen. 

• Plus1 1

Thanks for the poll. 

You phrased the questions so fairly that I think most people of us are on the same page:  reservedly excited, recognize the potential, still have to prove it. 

The hires, the portal, and Trev Alberts short leashing of Scott Frost definitely has me looking forward to next season in a way I wasn't two months ago. 

I'm a lifelong fan. It's January. I'm always going to be optimistic in a poll. But if I had to bet my own money?  It's pretty easy to envision a 7-6 season with a bowl game and some breakout players, securing at least another season for Frost but leaving virtually every debate on HuskerBoard still running 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The fact that all these changes and hires is the biggest reason..  A guy like whipple is not going to come to a sinking program and not be allowed to make changes..

• Plus1 1

A healthy Thompson plays like a pro QB… injured Thompson looks like injured Martinez. 
We have so many RB we should play rugby style.

Doesn't look like we did anything with the O line so far…. still relying on our injured tackle as the best player.

Judging by what we saw from defense at the end of the season, losing JoJo will leave a Lavonte David size hole. Looks like the D line might be weaker too. Pretty good job recruiting the secondary.

I think the portal recruits will make special teams a thousand times better.

• Plus1 1