Your Confidence Level - New Coaches & Portal Additions

TGHusker

Coaches & Portal Upgrades  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

He will still be very involved.  Hopefully, more involved in the entire game planning and during the game.  Yes, Chins and Whipple will be calling the plays.  But, it's not like Frost won't be doing anything while on the sidelines.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I think this may be the first time we have a true OC who calls the shots during the game - since before Devaney hired a guy named Osborne. 

On 1/25/2022 at 10:11 AM, Toe said:

I'm not really seeing that. We replaced a 4* guy with a couple middling 3*s? If there's an improvement at RB, it'll much more likely come from improved coaching and OL play, rather than any talent upgrade. Although getting Ervin back from injury doesn't hurt.

I hope Ervin rebounds well from injury, but he didn't exactly light it up.  He averaged 3.2 ypc in his 4 games before injury. 2 of those 4 games were against Furman and Buffalo...

Hopefully the new additions help improve the talent level in the RB room. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I hope Ervin rebounds well from injury, but he didn't exactly light it up.  He averaged 3.2 ypc in his 4 games before injury. 2 of those 4 games were against Furman and Buffalo...

Hopefully the new additions help improve the talent level in the RB room. 

I wonder about the overall RB production - how much was lack of skill by the RB and how much was OL play.   I suspect OL play was a huge contributor to lack of production.

Thus my overall concern for 2022 rides wt how well we improve OL play. 

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I think this may be the first time we have a true OC who calls the shots during the game - since before Devaney hired a guy named Osborne. 

Did Pelini or Riley actually call plays.  I’m sure both had planning input, rightfully so, but actual in game offensive plays?   Maybe Riley?  I just didn’t know it if so.  ? 

• Plus1 1

This is a fun thread.

On the last option, my only comment is in regards to this:

Yes - I think Trev's patience will be rewarded and that good decisions by SF have been made since Trev retained Frost"

I'm in the camp that believes Frost didn't come up with these plans on his own; I think Alberts and maybe even the administrators put their heads together to come up with the meat of the plan to fire the four coaches.

8 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Did Pelini or Riley actually call plays.  I’m sure both had planning input, rightfully so, but actual in game offensive plays?   Maybe Riley?  I just didn’t know it if so.  ? 

I'm thinking Riley was pretty involved in the play calling  - Bo- perhaps not as much - except on the D side. 

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

This is a fun thread.

Yes - I think Trev's patience will be rewarded and that good decisions by SF have been made since Trev retained Frost"

I'm in the camp that believes Frost didn't come up with these plans on his own; I think Alberts and maybe even the administrators put their heads together to come up with the meat of the plan to fire the four coaches.

I agree.  I think Frost was the reluctant horse that had to be led to water.   I believe that Frost had his hands tied on the issue and had to swallow the hard pill of firing his friends.  It will be interesting to see how it all works out.  At least right now, with the results in recruiting and the active recruiting going on right now, I'm hoping Frost is now a believer and has accepted the change as something good.  He may have to realize he'll never be a "Tom" - HC and OC and effective at both.  

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

This is a fun thread.

It’s all outsider speculation (supposition) but as those four coaches were very well known to Frost for long time periods and mostly coached for him for years and he practically insisted he bring each with him to NU or he wouldn’t come, I think it’s reasonable to believe he did not want to fire them.  He was likely facing an ultimatum of make major changes or find another job.  It seems that the offense was the focus of the issue for those above Frost and their advisors.  We don’t know who but as Osborne was a regular observer during the fall, it seems probable his feelings were considered.  Who else?  Who knows.  

Special teams was so obvious, virtually everybody recognized the dire need for major improvement/changes.  Surely Frost was well aware and needed no encouragement there. 

The changes are all very well targeted towards fixing the two thirds of the team most troubled. Recruiting targeted defense as well.  I tend to think Frost recognized the areas of need but maybe had a very difficult time making such drastic changes involving people and families he cared very much for personally.

Firing people from jobs you know they want, need, love and are career type positions is VERY hard.  I have faced such situations a few times.  I was lucky to have darn few though, thank goodness.  Frost has a big heart and cares about people very much.  He is a good man and a good HC but he is not perfect.  He has one of the most difficult HC jobs in the country imo.   There are not many who can handle it imo. 

Last year we had historically bad OT play, pitiful special teams and a QB that couldn't throw in the redzone.

Fix one of those things and you are bowl eligible. Fix 2 and you win 8-9 games. All three? you win 10 plus with a legit shot at all of them. And that was a very tough schedule.

They 100% fixed special teams bringing in an elite punter in Brian Buschini, A 5 Star kicker in Charlie Weinrich who turned down scholarships to walk on here. and an electric return man in Trey Palmer. And an actual special teams coach.

They almost definitely improved redzone scoring. We went to the redzone 53 times last season. We scored on 41 of those and scored a TD on 35. 28 rushing 7 passing with 6fg. We had about a 53% chance at rushing for a touchdown, otherwise we were as likely or more likely to end up with zero points vs a passing td or fg. And it's not like we didn't try. Martinez was 9 for 22 40.9% with 7 tds and a pick in the redzone.

Texas went to the Redzone 47 times last season with 19 rushing td's and 16 passing tds and 9 fgs. fwiw.

Thompson completed 63.9% of his passes in the redzone for 13 touchdowns and 1 interception. 

(our D gave up just 17 Touchdowns on 34 redzone tries. and averaged 28ppg vs 23ppg given up.  fwiw. )

Put Thompsons numbers with our improved ability to run and create redzone scoring opportunities and you were a fringe playoff team.

they very likely upgraded OL play. Guard play should remain very good, OT play can't be worse, so as long as center play doesn't take a huge dip - and I don't expect it will, OL play will be better. Significantly better? IDK but honestly out of the 3 this is the one that least impacted wins and losses and that's strange to say when it's literally the offensive line. The backbone of any good offense. 

HERE's the problem.

We aren't going to be as good on defense. Especially in the redzone this year most likely.

They have done a masterful job in the secondary and the Linebacking corps will likely stay basically the same. Do they have a replacement for JoJo? no. But they have an overall improvement in talent and depth, MLB is extremely solid and will be much better at taking the ball away this season.

The one big issue is the D-Line 

There is good news, Starting with Casey Rodgers. After missing the first 5 games due to an injury during fall camp, Rogers ended up as our best run stuffer on the DLine. So I think Rodgers will have a big year. I also like Jordan Riley.  think he will be a solid starter.

And that's basically all the good news.

Last year coach Tuioti rode a really strong 4.5man rotation of Stille, Robinson, Daniels, Thomas and once healthy Rogers to a really good year, especially against the run. Unfortunately, while Robinson and Rogers return, Stille, Daniels and Thomas are not and just like Tuioti didn't recruit a single one of those 5 guys and he also didn't recruit anyone to replace them either. 

thomas - parella

daniels- parrella

Robinson - Dawson

Stille - Parrella

Rogers- Dawson

At least Dawson recruited the two returning players from last year's rotation. So they will be familiar with each other. Unfortunately Ty Robinson was not great last year. In fact you could have replaced him with Nate Hutmacher and be better in virtually every measurable statistic last year except experience. Those guys will likely battle over the other DT position early on. 

So we have this:

DT              NT          DT

Robinson       Riley    Rogers

Hutmacher      ??         ??

Here's the problem. None of the players I mentioned are good pass rushers at all. So your starting Line is not going to generate much of a pass rush, at all. And though Dawson will be a very good recruiter going forward, Tuioti didn't bring in anything to bridge the gap Dawson better be one of the best DL coaches in football or we are going to have an extremely poor defensive line. 

Maybe we can bring in Parrella from his HS coaching job in Cleveland. Might as well see if three part time nfl coaches can do something instead of just two. He wasn't a bad recruiter. LOL

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder about the overall RB production - how much was lack of skill by the RB and how much was OL play.

Your first point should be split in two: how much of it was RB talent, how much of it was RB coaching, and how much of it was the line? And of course, the line's performance could be split into a question of lack of talent vs lack of coaching as well.

20 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Last year we had historically bad OT play, pitiful special teams and a QB that couldn't throw in the redzone.

Fix one of those things and you are bowl eligible. Fix 2 and you win 8-9 games. All three? you win 10 plus with a legit shot at all of them. And that was a very tough schedule.

They 100% fixed special teams bringing in an elite punter in Brian Buschini, A 5 Star kicker in Charlie Weinrich who turned down scholarships to walk on here. and an electric return man in Trey Palmer. And an actual special teams coach.

They almost definitely improved redzone scoring. We went to the redzone 53 times last season. We scored on 41 of those and scored a TD on 35. 28 rushing 7 passing with 6fg. We had about a 53% chance at rushing for a touchdown, otherwise we were as likely or more likely to end up with zero points vs a passing td or fg. And it's not like we didn't try. Martinez was 9 for 22 40.9% with 7 tds and a pick in the redzone.

Texas went to the Redzone 47 times last season with 19 rushing td's and 16 passing tds and 9 fgs. fwiw.

Thompson completed 63.9% of his passes in the redzone for 13 touchdowns and 1 interception. 

(our D gave up just 17 Touchdowns on 34 redzone tries. and averaged 28ppg vs 23ppg given up.  fwiw. )

Put Thompsons numbers with our improved ability to run and create redzone scoring opportunities and you were a fringe playoff team.

they very likely upgraded OL play. Guard play should remain very good, OT play can't be worse, so as long as center play doesn't take a huge dip - and I don't expect it will, OL play will be better. Significantly better? IDK but honestly out of the 3 this is the one that least impacted wins and losses and that's strange to say when it's literally the offensive line. The backbone of any good offense.

HERE's the problem.

We aren't going to be as good on defense. Especially in the redzone this year most likely.

They have done a masterful job in the secondary and the Linebacking corps will likely stay basically the same. Do they have a replacement for JoJo? no. But they have an overall improvement in talent and depth, MLB is extremely solid and will be much better at taking the ball away this season.

The one big issue is the D-Line 

There is good news, Starting with Casey Rodgers. After missing the first 5 games due to an injury during fall camp, Rogers ended up as our best run stuffer on the DLine. So I think Rodgers will have a big year. I also like Jordan Riley. I think he will be a solid starter.

And that's basically all the good news.

Last year coach Tuioti rode a really strong 4.5man rotation of Stille, Robinson, Daniels, Thomas and once healthy Rogers to a really good year, especially against the run. Unfortunately, while Robinson and Rogers return, Stille, Daniels and Thomas are not and just like Tuioti didn't recruit a single one of those 5 guys and he also didn't recruit anyone to replace them either. 

thomas - parella

daniels- parrella

Robinson - Dawson

Stille - Parrella

Rogers- Dawson

At least Dawson recruited the two returning players from last year's rotation. So they will be familiar with each other. Unfortunately Ty Robinson was not great last year. In fact you could have replaced him with Nate Hutmacher and be better in virtually every measurable statistic last year except experience. Those guys will likely battle over the other DT position early on. 

So we have this:

DT              NT          DT

Robinson       Riley    Rogers

Hutmacher      ??         ??

Here's the problem. None of the players I mentioned are good pass rushers at all. So your starting Line is not going to generate much of a pass rush, at all. And though Dawson and Raiola will very likely be a very good recruiting tandem, that's not going to help this year and Tuioti didn't bring in anything to bridge the gap. Raiola better be one of the best DL coaches in football or we are going to have an extremely poor defensive line. 

Maybe we can bring in Parrella from his HS coaching job in Cleveland. Might as well see if three part time nfl coaches can do something instead of just two. He wasn't a bad recruiter. LOL

Raiola is coaching O line, not D line.

I had a part about the Offense and Defensive lines as a focus and the importance of line play and in the Big Ten at the end but I didn't think it fit right at that point and wasn't the point of what I was saying in the thread so I cut it. Guess I missed a bit.

I think the fact that they were right the first 20 times, the one flipped name at the very end wasn't going to confuse anyone. Thanks for finding the error and making a post about it though. Fixed it. :)

3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Are these ‘net’ additions or gross (before subtracting transfers out?).  Noteworthy is the only other Big Ten school is MN.  

Be interesting to see the side by side lists of players in vs out and their star / ratings #s.  
I think Neb has had far more transfers out than in since Frost started but just a guess. This helps to open up scholarships but a lot of  ‘stars’ have departed so not sure what the team total rating pts would be trending up or down.  Need a running tally I guess to quantify the talent level and change direction. Lol.