Your Confidence Level - New Coaches & Portal Additions

TGHusker

Coaches & Portal Upgrades  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Are these ‘net’ additions or gross (before subtracting transfers out?).  Noteworthy is the only other Big Ten school is MN.  

Be interesting to see the side by side lists of players in vs out and their star / ratings #s.  
I think Neb has had far more transfers out than in since Frost started but just a guess. This helps to open up scholarships but a lot of  ‘stars’ have departed so not sure what the team total rating pts would be trending up or down.  Need a running tally I guess to quantify the talent level and change direction. Lol.  

Did Indiana get kicked out of the Big Ten?  They are 3 spots higher.

• Oh Yeah! 1

On 1/26/2022 at 8:56 PM, suh_fan93 said:

I am excited about the new portal transfer guys the Huskers got. 

What concerns me is the DL.  We lost 3 key rotational guys (starters and depth) and we lost our DL coach.  We gain Dawson, which is fine I guess.  But this area of concern needs to get addressed, or teams in the B1G will run all day on us.  They will have 4 yard gains before the LBs get to them.

I like Nelson a lot, but I am not a fan of having him and/or Tannor as RE guys.  They are linebackers, not DE/RE.  It's not their fault they are in mismatch against 320lb offensive tackles.  In fact, I would rather see Nelson next to Reimer instead.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, admo said:

What concerns me is the DL.  We lost 3 key rotational guys (starters and depth) and we lost our DL coach.  We gain Dawson, which is fine I guess.  But this area of concern needs to get addressed, or teams in the B1G will run all day on us.  They will have 4 yard gains before the LBs get to them.

I like Nelson a lot, but I am not a fan of having him and/or Tannor as RE guys.  They are linebackers, not DE/RE.  It's not their fault they are in mismatch against 320lb offensive tackles.  In fact, I would rather see Nelson next to Reimer instead.

I see what you're saying about them being undersized to play on the line, but I'm not sure you watched any of his plays in coverage if you're suggesting Nelson should play ILB. And neither Nelson nor Tannor got pushed around - Payne and Gunnerson did, but that's to be expected when Payne was still figuring out playing lighter and Gunnerson was playing his first games in college. 

We need another NT to be comfortable, but it has sounded like the coaches really like Wildeman, Newsom, Buckley, and Black. They've just been blocked by a glut of upperclassmen, and hopefully they are able to rotate instead of start and bank up some in game reps. DL is definitely the shallowest group right now, but at end I don't think it's worth adding bodies just to have more numbers. If there's a surefire starter grab them, and I'd take any nose with potential at this point just for depth. 

26 minutes ago, admo said:

Your avatar just got a DUI not too long ago.  He lives in IN about 20min from where I grew up.  I don't mind Nelson where he is but damn they need to teach that kid some pass rush moves.  He's got nothing.

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I see what you're saying about them being undersized to play on the line, but I'm not sure you watched any of his plays in coverage if you're suggesting Nelson should play ILB. And neither Nelson nor Tannor got pushed around - Payne and Gunnerson did, but that's to be expected when Payne was still figuring out playing lighter and Gunnerson was playing his first games in college. 

We need another NT to be comfortable, but it has sounded like the coaches really like Wildeman, Newsom, Buckley, and Black. They've just been blocked by a glut of upperclassmen, and hopefully they are able to rotate instead of start and bank up some in game reps. DL is definitely the shallowest group right now, but at end I don't think it's worth adding bodies just to have more numbers. If there's a surefire starter grab them, and I'd take any nose with potential at this point just for depth. 

I agree we need more interior lineman help.  I agree 44 isn't that great in coverage.  But that is something you can coach up and work on.  However, having him bull rush an OT over and over is basically removing a player from the defense. 

12 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Your avatar just got a DUI not too long ago.  He lives in IN about 20min from where I grew up.  I don't mind Nelson where he is but damn they need to teach that kid some pass rush moves.  He's got nothing.

I was incorrect.  Dan Hampton got the DUI and lives in Windfield, IN.  Mongo has ALS.  Came across that when reading the article.  

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, admo said:

I agree we need more interior lineman help.  I agree 44 isn't that great in coverage.  But that is something you can coach up and work on.  However, having him bull rush an OT over and over is basically removing a player from the defense. 

It would be a heckuva lot easier to teach someone with Nelson's size/athletic limitations a pass rush move or two than it would be to teach him to cover. He could have perfect technique in coverage (which he won't, but for arguments sake) and he would still be a liability in coverage. As an occasional dropper from the edge he can be good enough, but the ILBs are in coverage a lot and it would be a problem.

But I also agree he's not the answer as a pass rusher. I think he should be a 2-down guy - he's good against the run and will occasionally work his way into a sack through sheer effort on 1st or 2nd down, but if we get into 3rd and long he should be subbed out. We don't really have a good guy to sub in though, Dawson's got to figure that out. I am a little worried Dawson will be stretched pretty thin, but at least he's not in charge of special teams now?

I’m just not sure what to expect next year. We have so underplayed our talent the last four years. Between the schedule, special teams and red zone offense we should be worth 5 more wins next year. However I see the defense stepping back a bit. Not sure our offense will be as good between the 20s but we might score more. 
Im not as sold on Whipple. If things go good it will probably work out for two years. Then breaking in another new guy. If things don’t go good early next year he might call it in. He has no commitment to this program and could have the same struggles with B1G defenses as SF is. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

This... is a lot.

Kudos to Frost for acknowledging what he was doing wasn't working, and taking steps to correct it.

Now let's see if it works...

Yes and adding 2 highly priced recruits in Allen and Bonner today is nice frosting (no pun intended) on the cake.  

Seeing the portal, juco and new recruits gives me hope of an immediate turn around next year.  Now we just need to find a pass rusher and more OL in the late spring portal. 

31 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes and adding 2 highly priced recruits in Allen and Bonner today is nice frosting (no pun intended) on the cake.  

Seeing the portal, juco and new recruits gives me hope of an immediate turn around next year.  Now we just need to find a pass rusher and more OL in the late spring portal. 

None of those highly priced recruits will matter much if the line doesn't improve, and you made me chuckle out loud with your last sentence.  I want to find some unicorns too.