B1G Reverting to Eight Conference Games per Year?

Mavric

1 hour ago, admo said:

Agreed, they really shouldn't if having the third best record in the league (or worse).  It just makes it exciting for that team and fan base though.

Counter point:  Michigan just beat Ohio State.  They have the same best records at 8-1.  They play again in the championship game.  Now they have to beat them twice to win the conference?  Brutal.

Plus why would we want to see rematches...

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Plus why would we want to see rematches...

Exactly.  We wouldn't want to see rematches.

Maybe TV Networks would like to, if it brings more $ in their pockets and in the B1G's pockets.....

OSU vs Iowa (or Minnesota) for CCG doesn't move the needle for most.  And I clearly get that.  But for those that make it to a CCG (not named OSU), I would think it would be very exciting for the team and fan base (and not much outside of it).  Those teams would have that memory their whole life that they played in CCG (college players specifically).

Counter point of 2 teams with best conf records playing in the CCG is hard to beat logically tho. 

Whatever they do, they need to emphasize schedule balancing. Yes, we suck, I get it. But at the same time, since 2011 (excluding 2020) Nebraska has played the "Big 4" east programs (OSU, PSU, UM, MSU) a bunch more than our divisional counterparts. For example, over that time, Nebraska has played those teams 27 times, while Iowa has only played them 20 times. That adds up over time.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, admo said:

Counter point:  Michigan just beat Ohio State.  They have the same best records at 8-1.  They play again in the championship game.  Now they have to beat them twice to win the conference?  Brutal.

The 2012 Huskers would like a word with you.

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

Whatever they do, they need to emphasize schedule balancing. Yes, we suck, I get it. But at the same time, since 2011 (excluding 2020) Nebraska has played the "Big 4" east programs (OSU, PSU, UM, MSU) a bunch more than our divisional counterparts. For example, over that time, Nebraska has played those teams 27 times, while Iowa has only played them 20 times. That adds up over time.

While it's impossible to have it perfectly balanced for everyone every year, if we go to a permanent 4 or 5 and the rest rotating, that will mostly take care of the problem won't it? No more getting Ohio State 8 out of 10 years, because the number of teams and the rule of cycling through everyone keeps you from getting stuck.

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

While it's impossible to have it perfectly balanced for everyone every year, if we go to a permanent 4 or 5 and the rest rotating, that will mostly take care of the problem won't it? No more getting Ohio State 8 out of 10 years, because the number of teams and the rule of cycling through everyone keeps you from getting stuck.

Unless they make OSU one of our permanent games, then we never escape!

18 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Unless they make OSU one of our permanent games, then we never escape!

tOSU would be an awesome permanent crossover opponent. I'd love to have them as an annual opponent. Nobody complained about always having to play OU did they, no.. in fact, they threw a fit when that game was removed as a permanent opponent. I want, hope, that we can have either tOSU or Michigan as a permanent crossover.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Loebarth said:

tOSU would be an awesome permanent crossover opponent. I'd love to have them as an annual opponent. Nobody complained about always having to play OU did they, no.. in fact, they threw a fit when that game was removed as a permanent opponent. I want, hope, that we can have either tOSU or Michigan as a permanent crossover.

That was then, this is now.   Ohio State is much like OU was until Switzer left.  NU was much like Ohio State until Osborne left.  It was a natural fit and effectively was the Big 8 championship every year and the winner played in Orange Bowl, often for national title.  

Now, NU is more like KStste or IState from back in the day.  We are bottom tier.  We will never get back to relevance until we find a way to win 10 games consistently.  You don’t schedule losses.  Schedule competitive teams to the extent you can.  

We are stuck in Big Ten likely indefinitely now.  Last thing we want to have is Big Ten makes us the conference’s permanent designated homecoming opponent.  They may put us in road games all season!   Lol. 

13 hours ago, Loebarth said:

Hell yeah!

rick-flair-wooo.gif

Wooooooo!

• Plus1 1

Protected rivalries are dumb...doesn't even out the scheduling that way. And if we go to 8 games it makes it even worse with lopsided years cuz we know the B10 doesn't know how to rotate teams to keep it equal. 

times play Ohio St in regular season since joining the B10 (2011). How do we have 4x more than a team? 

Nebraska 8 

Illinois 6

Purdue 5

Wisconsin 5

Minnesota 4

Northwestern 3 

Iowa 2 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Protected rivalries are dumb...doesn't even out the scheduling that way. And if we go to 8 games it makes it even worse with lopsided years cuz we know the B10 doesn't know how to rotate teams to keep it equal. 

times play Ohio St in regular season since joining the B10 (2011). How do we have 4x more than a team? 

Nebraska 8 

Illinois 6

Purdue 5

Wisconsin 5

Minnesota 4

Northwestern 3 

Iowa 2 

It’s obvious they are not looking at being fair to anybody.  They want to milk Nebraska’s fan appeal (probably still in the top 5 nationally) and so we get the most attractive (and difficult) schedule.  I’m gonna guess our home vs away comparison favors the better Big Ten (Michigan, OSU, Wisc, PSU for example) foes as well.  They’ve revamped the divisions and schedules several times in 12 seasons as well.  
Sure, it’s ‘fun’ to play the ‘big’ games vs name brand schools but they are wasting NU fb brand legacy in the process.  Mich and OSU pull a lots of strings and they’re not interested in seeing Neb take a seat in the leadership / flagship role of the Big Ten.  Neb is still a stepchild at best.  Probably will be for a long time.   In a lot of ways, we still get leftovers just like Texas ran the Big 12.   

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It’s obvious they are not looking at being fair to anybody.  They want to milk Nebraska’s fan appeal (probably still in the top 5 nationally) and so we get the most attractive (and difficult) schedule.  I’m gonna guess our home vs away comparison favors the better Big Ten (Michigan, OSU, Wisc, PSU for example) foes as well.  They’ve revamped the divisions and schedules several times in 12 seasons as well.  
Sure, it’s ‘fun’ to play the ‘big’ games vs name brand schools but they are wasting NU fb brand legacy in the process.  Mich and OSU pull a lots of strings and they’re not interested in seeing Neb take a seat in the leadership / flagship role of the Big Ten.  Neb is still a stepchild at best.  Probably will be for a long time.   In a lot of ways, we still get leftovers just like Texas ran the Big 12.   

While we have had a "tougher" schedule we absolutely were offered a seat at the table.  It is nobody's fault but our own that we have struggled to compete.  It is ridiculous to think the B1G wouldn't want Nebraska to be strong.  We view many things as unfair but the only legitimate one to me has maybe been the officiating.  The schedule has provided great opportunity while making the B1G and it's TV partners a pile of cash.