B1G Reverting to Eight Conference Games per Year?

Mavric

Here's my stab at an eight-game conference schedule with no divisions.  Three opponents you play every year, then five that alternate each year so you play the same schedule every other year and play everyone ever two years.  Games in red are Rivalry/Trophy games that was my first preference for annual opponents.  Obviously teams with more than three trophy games couldn't keep them all.  I didn't want to give Penn State Rutgers and Maryland every year but Maryland is apparently a trophy game and someone had to be Rutgers third.  I guess it's kind of the far-east pod.

hRYwkmk.png

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Here's my stab at an eight-game conference schedule with no divisions.  Three opponents you play every year, then five that alternate each year so you play the same schedule every other year and play everyone ever two years.  Games in red are Rivalry/Trophy games that was my first preference for annual opponents.  Obviously teams with more than three trophy games couldn't keep them all.  I didn't want to give Penn State Rutgers and Maryland every year but Maryland is apparently a trophy game and someone had to be Rutgers third.  I guess it's kind of the far-east pod.

hRYwkmk.png

I really like this idea. My first question is who gets into the title game? Two best records?

• Plus1 1
  • 5 weeks later...

If you eliminate divisions, the Big Ten can then ‘schedule’ their annual championship game of Michigan v Ohio State in late Nov.  they can fix the slate so those two get the bottom two thirds of the league as well.  Shut out PSU etc if they want.  They  need two divisions with rotating membership set for a complete revolving schedule over a term of years.  Use a lottary draw and seed them and set up home and away alternating game and work thru the league with 8 conference and 4 or even 5 non cons.  

23 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If you eliminate divisions, the Big Ten can then ‘schedule’ their annual championship game of Michigan v Ohio State in late Nov.  they can fix the slate so those two get the bottom two thirds of the league as well.  Shut out PSU etc if they want.  They  need two divisions with rotating membership set for a complete revolving schedule over a term of years.  Use a lottary draw and seed them and set up home and away alternating game and work thru the league with 8 conference and 4 or even 5 non cons.  

I'll admit, I had this thought.  However, that would be really stupid to do as a conference.  So, Michigan and OSU would play every year on the last weekend of regular season.....then many times turn around and play again the next week? 

Sounds like a recipe for tanking viewership.  

• 1 month later...

So the league said - Oh crap, Nebraska is finally rotating to cross overs that aren't Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State every year, like they've been looking forward to since we started screwing them with that schedule more than a decade ago. How do we throw them back under the bus and ensure they don't make a championship game for the next 20 years?

Oh I know, let's use the excuse of reverting to 8 League games with three PERMANENT cross overs. We'll give them Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan EVERY YEAR, FOREVER!!! Muah hahahahaha. 

See the source image

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2