OT Zalance Heard [LSU - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

20 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Heard commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

This one would be a nice addition it appears.  We can’t oversign OL imo.  This class looks fairly promising all things considered.  It’s a long way to Christmas and nothing is set but if they can find about five more solids across the team, 2022 could end up being a good base for rebuilding a team.  Of course, gotta win some meaningful games, hang on to the best and keep it up for two more classes. Then there is a team with potential to be nationally relevant.   Lots of ifs and buts, I know,  Still, it seems like the focus is more on getting guys that want to play with great effort and heart.  Just my feeling really - maybe a hunch but I’m more positive than I’ve been since last summer.  

The season is going to be rough and tumble and while some see it as easier, it’s still very challenging and no relief.  Depth is sketchy again but if the young and new can learn and help out as the injuries etc happen, it is not hopeless.  

On 6/26/2022 at 9:16 PM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It does? Curious as to what makes you think that.

I look at the players more than the stars I guess.  I watch the highlights and read what I can.  As I say, more gut hunch than any particular thing but I like players who play with hunger and heart more than just measureables etc.  Three star guys tend to know they’re going to have to work harder and may not expect to be given the job, generally.  We’ve seen too many 4 star guys come and go, it seems.     

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I look at the players more than the stars I guess.  I watch the highlights and read what I can.  As I say, more gut hunch than any particular thing but I like players who play with hunger and heart more than just measureables etc.  Three star guys tend to know they’re going to have to work harder and may not expect to be given the job, generally.  We’ve seen too many 4 star guys come and go, it seems.     

The thing is, when you have majority 4* guys, when you lose some to attrition, it's not that big of a hit. We don't have that depth, and having primarily 3* talent isn't going to help stay competitive against the big boys. For the past 15 years I've heard so many Husker fans say "stars don't matter" -- how has that turned out for us? Ask guys like Saban and Dabo and Day and Kirby if stars matter. The only recruiter who has proven he's worth a damn is Mickey Joseph. 

• Plus1 3

Yeah it has been proven that your recruiting class rank directly determines where you end up at the end of the year.  A few stand out 3 stars in the right system will shine but it is not a sure thing. I have heard that 5 stars can be peeked out as far as can a college coach coach them up, but I would much rather be playing with them than against them.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:16 PM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It does? Curious as to what makes you think that.

Considering NIL, this class is extremely lackluster. 

After setting up collectives, soliciting donations to prop up recruiting and overhauling the staff, our recruiting class is slightly worse than our average over the last decade and consists of mostly low-to-mid 3* local recruits.

To salvage the class, which probably tops out at 16 total players, every commit here on out needs to be a consensus 4* player on 247, something that just isn't going to happen. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

After setting up collectives, soliciting donations to prop up recruiting and overhauling the staff, our recruiting class is slightly worse than our average over the last decade and consists of mostly low-to-mid 3* local recruits.

To salvage the class, which probably tops out at 16 total players, every commit here on out needs to be a consensus 4* player on 247, something that just isn't going to happen. 

They’ll take 20 players. At least. 

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The thing is, when you have majority 4* guys, when you lose some to attrition, it's not that big of a hit. We don't have that depth, and having primarily 3* talent isn't going to help stay competitive against the big boys. For the past 15 years I've heard so many Husker fans say "stars don't matter" -- how has that turned out for us? Ask guys like Saban and Dabo and Day and Kirby if stars matter. The only recruiter who has proven he's worth a damn is Mickey Joseph. 

Mickey has 1 commit here so far. I’m waiting to anoint him as a recruiting god. 

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think your forgetting Bill Busch as well. He can definitely develop talent and also has a eye for recruiting talent as well.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

it might be worse at this time but there are a lot of teams ahead that are ahead because they already have like 16 commits and we are still ahead in average star rating.  If Coleman commits that will give a boost on its own.  That's still only 11 for the class.  There's still time for coaches to make runs on guys especially once the season starts if they can get them to games for OVs.  

25 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

it might be worse at this time but there are a lot of teams ahead that are ahead because they already have like 16 commits and we are still ahead in average star rating.  If Coleman commits that will give a boost on its own.  That's still only 11 for the class.  There's still time for coaches to make runs on guys especially once the season starts if they can get them to games for OVs.  

That's true but Nebraska might do the whole transfer off season to fill roster spots or kids that they miss out on.

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You’ve got to be kidding. He was the main one who landed Ajay Allen, not to mention Decoldest Crawford, Kaine Williams, & Trey Palmer… plus I’m probably forgetting some others 

Right. He's done well. If anyone is wanting to see more HS results, we'll land some this year. It might not be the kid this thread is about but he will help us. Plus you might not really see it until '24 when he's had a chance to build a relationship with kids recruiting for Nebraska. It would really help if there are more wins behind it as well.

• Mavric changed the title to OT Zalance Heard [LSU - Signed LOI]