Memorial Stadium to Have Wider Seats/Reduced Capacity

Mavric

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thank God they are finally fixing what has caused all the losing.  

Stop.

Maybe it's quite certain, that they got tired of imitating the Oregon Ducks turf the past 20 years, and wanted a more traditional looking field.

A friend of mine who is fairly well connected and isn’t really a Huskers fan, but lives in Omaha is adamant that deep down, Trev wants to build a new stadium.  This Friend also claims the best spot (in his opinion) would be near I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln so parking wouldn’t be a problem and construction could happen without disrupting the FB season.  I personally don’t see that happening.  Especially that far from campus.  But if the money is there, a new modern stadium with a retractable roof, etc may not be too far-fetched.  Just thought I’d throw that out there.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

This Friend also claims the best spot (in his opinion) would be near I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln so parking wouldn’t be a problem and construction could happen without disrupting the FB season.

Zero chance of that happening. It would need to be on City Campus or Innovation Campus. There's no way they would put it any further away than that, and for sure not outside the city limits.

And with the new football building they're putting up, to the tune of $180 million, it's pretty safe to say we're not leaving Memorial Stadium's footprint.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Zero chance of that happening. It would need to be on City Campus or Innovation Campus. There's no way they would put it any further away than that, and for sure not outside the city limits.

And with the new football building they're putting up, to the tune of $180 million, it's pretty safe to say we're not leaving Memorial Stadium's footprint.

I agree.  I was just throwing it out there.  I think being able to easily practice inside your home stadium is important.  

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

A subpar result because the pull of nostalgia is far greater than building something modern and accommodating to the times?

It's not just nostalgia. It's actual history, and character and tradition and a space that makes up and means a lot more than just the concrete and metal. 

I think of it similarly to how neighborhoods can go through aggressive gentrification and/or urban modernizing; lots of fancy things, but eventually part of the spirit and soul of a place gets sucked out. 

27 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

A subpar result because the pull of nostalgia is far greater than building something modern and accommodating to the times?

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nostalgia has something to do with it but not nearly as much as logistics.

Mav is right on both accounts. We should not throw away the magic of Memorial Stadium for convenience. It's an historic monument that should not be lightly discarded because we have modern sensibilities.

But aside from that, logistically tearing down that 100-year-old stadium and replacing it with something more fitting to today would be an expense we simply should not expend. I'd love comfy seats and easy drink service and a dome, but none of that is realistic outside the Matrix.

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

Mav is right on both accounts. We should not throw away the magic of Memorial Stadium for convenience. It's an historic monument that should not be lightly discarded because we have modern sensibilities.

But aside from that, logistically tearing down that 100-year-old stadium and replacing it with something more fitting to today would be an expense we simply should not expend. I'd love comfy seats and easy drink service and a dome, but none of that is realistic outside the Matrix.

People have built and torn down monuments, there are satellite campuses, and other regulation changes to accommodate demand (serving alcohol), all of which are just semantics. Retrofitting the stadium in chunks like we’ll end doing is going to be an expensive upgrade with less amenities simply out of convenience.

With the loss of 10 to 20% of the fans attending, there will be lots more seating room and less lines etc. that will fix many of the issues without even having to win games!   Hopefully, we can keep most of the sports and programs.   No need to build a new half size stadium until we see if we actually need it.  

23 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

A friend of mine who is fairly well connected and isn’t really a Huskers fan, but lives in Omaha is adamant that deep down, Trev wants to build a new stadium.  This Friend also claims the best spot (in his opinion) would be near I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln so parking wouldn’t be a problem and construction could happen without disrupting the FB season.  I personally don’t see that happening.  Especially that far from campus.  But if the money is there, a new modern stadium with a retractable roof, etc may not be too far-fetched.  Just thought I’d throw that out there.  

That would be possibly the worst idea ever thought of.  

• Plus1 1