Herbie Logo Changed

Mavric

For almost 50 years, Herbie Husker has worn blue overalls, sported a big red cowboy hat and kept an ear of corn in his pocket.

For almost all that time, Herbie Husker has held a football in one hand and thrown up an “a-OK” sign with the other.

Now, Herbie’s left hand shows “we’re number one.”

The reason for that slight switch: Modern white supremacy. Internet trolls and hate groups have tried to turn the OK sign into a symbol of white power, claiming that the three fingers up form a W and the circle and wrist form a P.

This new meaning of “OK” was brought to the attention of Lonna Henrichs, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln athletic department’s licensing and branding director, in July 2020, just weeks after George Floyd was murdered by a Minneapolis police officer. Floyd’s murder prompted racial reckoning and protests across the country — including counterprotests where members of hate groups flashed the sign.

OWH

61f31433d04c9.image.jpg?resize=1200,900

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

I like the new look of the #1 but I still like the old look too. 

It’s pretty ridiculous how far this has been taken from a bunch of dweebs on 4chan glamouring that the “ok” hand gesture is a symbol that white supremacist use and then the media running with it. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2

27 minutes ago, Apathy said:

It’s pretty ridiculous how far this has been taken from a bunch of dweebs on 4chan glamouring that the “ok” hand gesture is a symbol that white supremacist use and then the media running with it. 

Back in my day it was known to secretly mean a$$h@!e. So, pretty much the same.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1