Herbie Logo Changed

Mavric

If you look hard enough, you can find racism in anything and everything. Common sense is completely gone. Cancel culture is on full display. And if you disagree, you are racist. All or nothing mentality.  We have way too much time on our hands if we are looking at college mascots. Meanwhile, border is overrun, inflation outta control, taxes through the roof and the US about to get into war with Russia. But lets focus on a hand gesture by a damn mascot. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

That's the thing.  It's not really used for white supremacy.  It was a joke on the internet that dumb people fell for.  Now we have to appease those dumb people.  Not altogether surprising.   It's the way of the world now.

That’s the thing. No matter how many times white supremacists and their sympathizers trot out the “it’s supposedly a “dumb joke”” narrative, the reality is that you have people using it for *that very meaning*, from trashy high school kids to Police Officers and community leaders. 

It’s a good thing this changed, and it’s rather telling about who is getting butthurt by this…or continues to trot out false narratives about reality. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

If you look hard enough, you can find racism in anything and everything. Common sense is completely gone. Cancel culture is on full display. And if you disagree, you are racist. All or nothing mentality.  We have way too much time on our hands if we are looking at college mascots. Meanwhile, border is overrun, inflation outta control, taxes through the roof and the US about to get into war with Russia. But lets focus on a hand gesture by a damn mascot. 

In regards to the two bolded points.

1) Absolutely you can, and the hope is common sense prevails. In this instance isn't common sense prevailing? 

2) Yeah, come on The University of Nebraska, fix this s#!t. Our borders are being run on, inflation is inflating, taxes are making my roof leak and I am bout have to fight Ivan Drago..fix this The University of Nebraska.

• Fire 1

One thing I've been discovering over the years and putting an effort into is considering what or how I communicate is received or interpreted by the persons I'm engaging with. What is intended doesn't always match up with what is experienced for another. That's especially the case with modern technology where text is the form of communication (as an example) involving context, tone, etc.

The other day I listened to a back and forth between two groups where nothing meaningful was accomplished other than more conflict due to provocations on the part of both. Point is, we can better better understand each other and can achieve more constructive dialogues.  

I don't personally associate the gesture with supremacy. I'm certain that's true for most folks that have liked Herbie "as is". It doesn't make those of us mean, inconsiderate or hateful. However, some do take exception to it for legitimate reasons other than it's real intent. To me, Herbie is cool is either way in accordance with my interpretation. Others, see it differently regardless the intent of the original/real intent that is offensive for them. 

Those of us that do take exception to the original gesture, are they being unreasonable? No.  And you know, all of us continue to learn as we negotiate life gaining a better understanding of what's in our interest individually and collectively. I don't have an issue with making the change with respect to gestures.

Along with that though, lets please not shame those that don't interpret it or associate it with supremacy. I happen to be wearing an old Cornhusker sweatshirt now that I wear around in the house in the wintertime that I've had a long time. Like others, I do don't consider myself superior.

That's not to suggest that there isn't hate in the world. There most definitely is! And in many ways, it's become more intense. Through understanding ourselves and each other having respect for one other we can lessen conflict with the prospect of living a good life together. 

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

That's the thing.  It's not really used for white supremacy.  It was a joke on the internet that dumb people fell for.  Now we have to appease those dumb people.  Not altogether surprising.   It's the way of the world now.

And those same people will not like your comment too lol

How do you determine who’s a white supremacist if and when someone makes that hand gesture? I’ve seen several athletes and politicians make said hand gesture after 2017. They must be white supremacist right?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Apathy said:

And those same people will not like your comment too lol

How do you determine who’s a white supremacist if and when someone makes that hand gesture? I’ve seen several athletes and politicians make said hand gesture after 2017. They must be white supremacist right?

I've seen numerous referees make that hand gesture after made 3's and fgs in basketball and football. I can't believe the ncaa, NBA and NFL still employs them all.

• Oh Yeah! 1
9 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

That’s the thing. No matter how many times white supremacists and their sympathizers trot out the “it’s supposedly a “dumb joke”” narrative, the reality is that you have people using it for *that very meaning*, from trashy high school kids to Police Officers and community leaders. 

It’s a good thing this changed, and it’s rather telling about who is getting butthurt by this…or continues to trot out false narratives about reality. 

The entire point of the hoax was to trick people into thinking the OK sign meant white power.  It's not a false narrative if it's literally what happened.

Not falling for the hoax doesn't mean you're a white supremacist or in league with white supremacists.   It just means you weren't duped by a very obvious hoax, and nothing further.

I personally don't blame the university for covering their asses.  It was a very successful hoax, afterall. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

To me this isn't a big deal but it all starts somewhere.  I could understand if Nebraska just came up with the mascot and chose to have him make the ok sign knowing there are people out there who think it is racist, but he's been around a long time and that's not what it stands for.  I remember years ago Indiana University was under scrutiny from Bible thumpers because their IU looks like a pitchfork and some people see it as a sign of the devil.  Even if it was a pitchfork Indiana is 90% farm land and plenty of people actually use pitchforks.  It's literally just an I and a U overlapped.  They said f#&% you guys and still have it.  Nebraska could have just made a statement and said Herbie isn't racist because of a hand gesture.  Changing it makes it look like "yeah he might be racist". 

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

To me this isn't a big deal but it all starts somewhere.  I could understand if Nebraska just came up with the mascot and chose to have him make the ok sign knowing there are people out there who think it is racist, but he's been around a long time and that's not what it stands for.  I remember years ago Indiana University was under scrutiny from Bible thumpers because their IU looks like a pitchfork and some people see it as a sign of the devil.  Even if it was a pitchfork Indiana is 90% farm land and plenty of people actually use pitchforks.  It's literally just an I and a U overlapped.  They said f#&% you guys and still have it.  Nebraska could have just made a statement and said Herbie isn't racist because of a hand gesture.  Changing it makes it look like "yeah he might be racist". 

They should have just made Herbie black.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
20 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not accurate. Even if it started as a joke it has been adopted.

You can find pictures of Roger Stone and some proud boys doing it while out drinking. Were they kidding? Doesn't matter. also, can you imagine the anal pounding Roger Stone and some proud boys gave each other after a night of hard drinking?!? #pride

You can also find Colorado's own Lauren Bobert (think Sarah Palin but dumber....I know, it's hard to do) giving a 2019 tour of the CO state capital to a small squad of gravy seals. They are also flashing that sign.

I have seen some Proud Boys use it locally as well.

And yes, the sign does get used for more than one thing. I remember someone doing it in a camera shot at a Cubs game, and a military cadet doing it during a televised sports game. It got a short wave of national media attention but it was clear to most of us that what they were doing was the game where you get someone to look at the circle, and you get to punch them. I'm pretty sure we have an early pic of coach Frost out recruiting and he is doing that.

And yes, it does get used for 3 pointers as well.

This is happening because over the last 4+ years white supremacy has made a rise in this country. I'm not really sure what that correlates with. We need to put it back down to the normal level America is comfortable with.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 3