DE Williams Nwaneri [Missouri - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

26 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Nwaneri commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• 3 weeks later...

Player: Williams Nwaneri

Hometown: Lees Summit, Missouri

School: Lee's Summit North

Position: Edge

Height: 6-5

Weight: 245

Power 5 Offers: Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon, Vanderbilt

Visits: 1/29/22 - Junior Day; 3/24/23

Twitter

247 Composite: #8 Overall; #1 DL; .9954; :star:star:star:star:star 

On3 Consensus: #9 Overall; #1 DL; 97.94; :star:star:star:star:star  

Rivals: #20 Overall; #3 SDE; :FourStar:
247: #3 Overall; #1 DL; :star:star:star:star:star 

On3: #2 Overall; #1 DL; :star:star:star:star:star 
ESPN: #30 Overall; #7 DE; :FourStar:

Hudl

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

5* DL > 5* QB.  Change my mind.

I'm not going to try to change your mind.  We've definitely been lacking pass rushers for some time.

I would probably phrase it a bit differently.  QB is the most important spot so on a strict choice between the two I'd still go QB - they have the ball in their hands every play.  

But if you frame it as the difference between a 5* QB and what we would have instead compared to a 5* DE and what we would have instead, I do think the difference would be greater at DE.

Unfortunately I'm not all that hopeful of landing Nwaneri.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

QB is a most  important position in sports therefore more important than DL therefore the #1 rated QB is more valuable than the #1 rated DL.  

Agreed, high level QB play is what propelled otherwise mediocre teams like TCU or Michigan State into the College Football Playoff.

Of course it takes a complete team to compete once you make it to that level, but elite QB play can elevate a team to a very high level. 

13 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Agreed, high level QB play is what propelled otherwise mediocre teams like TCU or Michigan State into the College Football Playoff.

Of course it takes a complete team to compete once you make it to that level, but elite QB play can elevate a team to a very high level. 

Absolutely, a QB can’t get there on his own, but he elevates a teams chances more than any other position 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

5* DL > 5* QB.  Change my mind.

A lot of my logic is based basically on "hit rate".  

5* DL have better chance of being drafted than a 5* QB.  74% of 5* DL recruits between 2010-14 were ultimately drafted, compared to only 50% of QBs. 

5* QBs transfer A LOT.  I don't have the stats on DL, but 63% of 5* QBs between 2010-2018 have transferred at least once.  And that was before the free transfer/portal era.  I find it hard to believe that DL are that high.

Here is everyone on the 1st and 2nd NFL All Pro teams this past season (from the AP and PFWA) listed at Edge, DE, or DT and their 247C recruiting rankings:

5* - Nick Bosa, Myles Garrett, Michal Parsons, Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons, Dexter Lawrence

4* - Quinnen WIlliams

3* - Aaron Donald

0* - Haason Reddick

48 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Funny that neither of your examples were due to 5* QBs (and honestly, I still am not sure how that MSU team made it.  Connor Cook didn't exactly light the world on fire that year.  I guess they can thank Tim Beck for forgetting he had Ezekiel Elliot).  I think that you can design a damn good offense around a good 3* or 4* QB, a lot of that comes down to scheme, an OL, and the athletes around him (I think our offenses around each Martinez were pretty good IMO, Taylor more so than Adrian).  And good college QBs can come out of nowhere (what we saw from Max Duggan and Hendon Hooker last year is an example of that).

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

A lot of my logic is based basically on "hit rate".  

5* DL have better chance of being drafted than a 5* QB.  74% of 5* DL recruits between 2010-14 were ultimately drafted, compared to only 50% of QBs. 

5* QBs transfer A LOT.  I don't have the stats on DL, but 63% of 5* QBs between 2010-2018 have transferred at least once.  And that was before the free transfer/portal era.  I find it hard to believe that DL are that high.

Here is everyone on the 1st and 2nd NFL All Pro teams this past season (from the AP and PFWA) listed at Edge, DE, or DT and their 247C recruiting rankings:

5* - Nick Bosa, Myles Garrett, Michal Parsons, Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons, Dexter Lawrence

4* - Quinnen WIlliams

3* - Aaron Donald

0* - Haason Reddick

Funny that neither of your examples were due to 5* QBs (and honestly, I still am not sure how that MSU team made it.  Connor Cook didn't exactly light the world on fire that year.  I guess they can thank Tim Beck for forgetting he had Ezekiel Elliot).  I think that you can design a damn good offense around a good 3* or 4* QB, a lot of that comes down to scheme, an OL, and the athletes around him (I think our offenses around each Martinez were pretty good IMO, Taylor more so than Adrian).  And good college QBs can come out of nowhere (what we saw from Max Duggan and Hendon Hooker last year is an example of that).

Much easier to stand out on defense even if those around you aren't that great.  A good line can make an average RB look really good.  Really good WR can make an average QB look much better.  Bad Oline and bad WRs can make a really good QB look bad 

• TBH 1
  • Mavric changed the title to DE Williams Nwaneri [Missouri - Signed LOI]