*** NFL 2022 ***

suh_fan93

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The interesting thing is, this is why the NFL moved back the extra point distance.  It's not automatic.  I wish the NCAA would do the same.

Yes so much this.

And the spot holder is not lined straight up the middle.  It's on the hash as well.  

When the idea for a change occurred, My tinfoil hat likes to wonder if Vegas had put a whisper into the ear of the NFL.  And the NFL was like, wow, ok that's something we could do.

Vegas loves the -7 or +7 line.  Before that change there wasn't many bettors for that traditional line....  6 1/2 lines made it somewhat helpful for bets.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, admo said:

Yes so much this.

And the spot holder is not lined straight up the middle.  It's on the hash as well.  

When the idea for a change occurred, My tinfoil hat likes to wonder if Vegas had put a whisper into the ear of the NFL.  And the NFL was like, wow, ok that's something we could do.

Vegas loves the -7 or +7 line.  Before that change there wasn't many bettors for that traditional line....  6 1/2 lines made it somewhat helpful for bets.

The kicking team has a choice of where they want the ball snapped/lined up, from hash-mark to hash-mark, depending on what the kicker prefers.  Maher prefers the ball to be set on the left-hash because he puts a slight draw (ball goes right to left) on his kicks.  From the left-hash, Maher can aim his kick toward the right upright and depend on his draw to put the ball in the middle of the goal posts.

It's similar to a golfer who plays a draw with a golf ball.  The golfer will set up on the left side of the tee box, aim to the right of the fairway, and depend on his draw/hook to bring the ball to the middle of the fairway.  The issue with Maher last night was that he had a "push-slice" going.  The ball was starting out right, and instead of hooking back to between the goal posts, Maher's kicks were slicing to the right and finishing outside the right goal post.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
On 1/17/2023 at 2:05 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

The kicking team has a choice of where they want the ball snapped/lined up, from hash-mark to hash-mark, depending on what the kicker prefers.  Maher prefers the ball to be set on the left-hash because he puts a slight draw (ball goes right to left) on his kicks.  From the left-hash, Maher can aim his kick toward the right upright and depend on his draw to put the ball in the middle of the goal posts.

It's similar to a golfer who plays a draw with a golf ball.  The golfer will set up on the left side of the tee box, aim to the right of the fairway, and depend on his draw/hook to bring the ball to the middle of the fairway.  The issue with Maher last night was that he had a "push-slice" going.  The ball was starting out right, and instead of hooking back to between the goal posts, Maher's kicks were slicing to the right and finishing outside the right goal post.

??

I literally and actually said that lol  you even bolded it

And the spot holder is not lined straight up the middle.  It's on the hash

3 minutes ago, admo said:

??

I literally and actually said that lol  you even bolded it

And the spot holder is not lined straight up the middle.  It's on the hash

I understand, but you make it seem like that's the rule.  Like the holder has to be on the hash, instead of being in the middle.  If that was not your intent, I misunderstood, but your original point is confusing about the ball being on the hash.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Credit to the Bills.  They got the W.

Really good post game from McDaniel if you have the time.  Understands his team's struggles (5 game losing streak, played with a 7th round rookie QB, and the history of Miami not winning in playoffs)... has choice words about miscommunication from refs and his learning from mistakes...

At least give it a minute listen from the 4 min mark if you can.  I like him and the Dolphins a lot (my AFC team since childhood) :)  

Or just start from the beginning lol.  Not a lot of coach speak at all.  Just honesty and a Yale grad.  

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand, but you make it seem like that's the rule.  Like the holder has to be on the hash, instead of being in the middle.  If that was not your intent, I misunderstood, but your original point is confusing about the ball being on the hash.

My bad I am wrong and you are right.. because I did think it had to be on the hash without thinking it through.  You are correct that it can be anywhere the kicker wants between the hashes.  I feel like an idiot now!  :facepalm:  lol

I guess I never really paid attention to extra points

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, admo said:

My bad I am wrong and you are right.. because I did think it had to be on the hash without thinking it through.  You are correct that it can be anywhere the kicker wants between the hashes.  I feel like an idiot now!  :facepalm:  lol

I guess I never really paid attention to extra points

All good man.  I can be a dork when it comes to rules and the analyzing kickers.  I like kicking because my son plays soccer and the ways the football can hook or slice off a foot is very similar to a golfer hitting a drive (and I'm big into golf).  Kicking in football is so mental, as well.

• Oh Yeah! 1