*** NFL 2022 ***

suh_fan93

A little off topic, but I didn’t want to make a new thread and since they’ll be enshrined to start the preseason it kind of counts…. 

Anyway, this is quite possibly the worst pro football hall of fame class we’ve ever had. That’s not to say that they aren’t worthy, just that all of them would be the fifth guy in a good class. To put them all together in one class and leave out some of the guys that got snubbed is very weird. I think my vote would have been:

Torry Holt

Zach Thomas 

Leroy Butler

Reggie Wayne

Demarcus Ware

• Plus1 1
On 2/11/2022 at 10:44 PM, default_28 said:

A little off topic, but I didn’t want to make a new thread and since they’ll be enshrined to start the preseason it kind of counts…. 

Anyway, this is quite possibly the worst pro football hall of fame class we’ve ever had. That’s not to say that they aren’t worthy, just that all of them would be the fifth guy in a good class. To put them all together in one class and leave out some of the guys that got snubbed is very weird. I think my vote would have been:

Torry Holt

Zach Thomas 

Leroy Butler

Reggie Wayne

Demarcus Ware

I'm actually of the mind that HoFs should be much more selective with who they let in, and that the curve that players are graded on should be properly attuned to the era in which they play. 

33 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm actually of the mind that HoFs should be much more selective with who they let in, and that the curve that players are graded on should be properly attuned to the era in which they play. 

I understand that, the line is always going to be blurry no matter where you cut it off. Here’s a few questions for you though.

What would be your criteria? Would you select the same amount of players from each era? Would it simply be an eye test sort of thing? How would you judge the era to determine if more players should get in?

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, default_28 said:

I understand that, the line is always going to be blurry no matter where you cut it off. Here’s a few questions for you though.

What would be your criteria? Would you select the same amount of players from each era? Would it simply be an eye test sort of thing? How would you judge the era to determine if more players should get in?

On one hand, if an appropriate level of respect is to be paid to these institutions, then there has to be a much higher degree of subjective and objective scrutiny applied to them. Matthew Stafford has thrown for a ton of yards, but is he a better QB than Dan Marino? He's 2 years away from passing Marino in total yardage, and now has a ring. Is Eli Manning a better QB than John Elway? If I were a voter, I'd have a difficult time voting those two in, given that while they have 3 Super Bowls between them, they only have 5 Pro Bowls, no All Pro teams, and no regular season MVPs. 

On the other hand, it's a museum, put in who you want. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

On one hand, if an appropriate level of respect is to be paid to these institutions, then there has to be a much higher degree of subjective and objective scrutiny applied to them. Matthew Stafford has thrown for a ton of yards, but is he a better QB than Dan Marino? He's 2 years away from passing Marino in total yardage, and now has a ring. Is Eli Manning a better QB than John Elway? If I were a voter, I'd have a difficult time voting those two in, given that while they have 3 Super Bowls between them, they only have 5 Pro Bowls, no All Pro teams, and no regular season MVPs. 

On the other hand, it's a museum, put in who you want. 

It is hard to compare players from different eras. Stafford has played his whole career in the same conference as Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, Tom Brady for 2 years, and he was on a garbage team. Do we cut him some slack for having few Pro Bowls and zero All Pros? At the same time, he now has a Super Bowl win in an era where Tom Brady hogged most of them, should that be weighed more? Offenses today are pass heavy, more so than in Marino's era, should they be worth less now? Marino didn't play during the Skip Bayless/Stephen A Smith-argue-about-every-athletes'-merits reality of today, if he had would he be viewed differently? At the end of the day, it's hard to determine if Stafford is as good as Marino (Marino was in his prime when I was young too so he gets the benefit of nostalgia and my less refined eye for scrutinizing), but I do enjoy the conversation.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Word is Rogers has at least the framework of deals to get traded to the Broncos, Steelers or Titans. Or he could choose to stay with the Packers. They're just waiting for him to decide where he wants to play.

In my own (probably biased) opinion, Tennessee seems the last likely. And given the Broncos hired Green Bay's OC, the Broncos would seem most likely if he leaves.

Green Bay wants to franchise Adams so it's probably between starting in Green Bay to play his entire career there or going to Denver to a team that is probably a legit QB and a couple resigned defenders away from being a serious threat in the AFC.

Word that I'm hearing locally is that Denver has offered the #9 pick this year, the 2nd round pick this year, and next years first round pick for Rodgers. If that's accurate, I'd be quite happy with giving that to land him. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out. 

• Plus1 1