*** NFL 2022 ***

suh_fan93

I guess the thing I don’t get with this Hamlin deal is why faster/better progress is not being realized. His heart stopped and then they restarted it. Seems to me he should be about back to normal by now. Of course I’m no doctor or expert. Maybe they are proceeding with an over abundance of caution or maybe he has an underlying condition that is complicating things? I just wouldn’t think his heart stopping briefly would be that big of a deal for a young healthy person to come back from. Maybe I’m an idiot?

14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I guess the thing I don’t get with this Hamlin deal is why faster/better progress is not being realized. His heart stopped and then they restarted it. Seems to me he should be about back to normal by now. Of course I’m no doctor or expert. Maybe they are proceeding with an over abundance of caution or maybe he has an underlying condition that is complicating things? I just wouldn’t think his heart stopping briefly would be that big of a deal for a young healthy person to come back from. Maybe I’m an idiot?

I believe the concern always involves oxygen deprivation and brain damage, and in this case lung damage because he could not breath on his own and required intubation. 

My first take was incredibly grim. I thought the kid was dead and the emergency room procedures were only a formality. The initial report of two CPR attempts was apparently wrong. Even if stabilized, a comatose state was likely.

Having Hamlin conscious and reacting is kinda stunning, great news that I honestly didn't expect. 

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I believe the concern always involves oxygen deprivation and brain damage, and in this case lung damage because he could not breath on his own and required intubation. 

My first take was incredibly grim. I thought the kid was dead and the emergency room procedures were only a formality. The initial report of two CPR attempts was apparently wrong. Even if stabilized, a comatose state was likely.

Having Hamlin conscious and reacting is kinda stunning, great news that I honestly didn't expect. 

Yea it’s great news and I’m thankful for that. And I know intubation can prolong things. But I know people who have to have their heart stopped and restarted for things like arrhythmia and other heartbeat problems and it seems to be not much of anything. They go in and walk out perfectly fine within a few hours. I know it’s not the same thing and that is done totally under medical care in a hospital but it sort of seems like it should be similar. I guess I just wish he was showing more progress faster for his sake. But yeah, happy he is even alive at this point.