Gotta hand it Frost (and the new hires)

6 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I’m hoping for 3+ OL this spring, and with the recruiters we have I think we’ll get them. Nebraska is starting to trend upward, I can feel it. 

Why? 

We got guys in the room.  We added 2 more big fellas.  We have a new OL coach.  He was hired for a reason.

Is all hope lost that we have to bring in 3 more random unknowns?

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, admo said:

Why? 

We got guys in the room.  We added 2 more big fellas.  We have a new OL coach.  He was hired for a reason.

Is all hope lost that we have to bring in 3 more random unknowns?

All I know is that last season’s OL play left much to be desired. I know they were young but some of those guys did not look Big 10 caliber. 

• Plus1 2
On 2/2/2022 at 9:49 PM, runningblind said:

What you say is true, there have been a lot of changes, but now we are expecting a whole bunch of changes to come together all at once and that most likely won't happen right away either.  It feels good to have new things happening but I still get the gut feeling this is still smoke and mirrors and unicorn farts. :lol: I have to see it with my own eyes this time until I believe a word I'm fed.

That's a valid point.  I think there will be some struggles this year too. It took Kenny Pickett a few years to play like a Heisman candidate in Whip's system.  I don't expect Thompson to play like that right out of the gate.    I just think the struggles will look more like 7-5 and less like 3-9.

I know a lot of people refuse to acknowledge Martinez and Frost's role in the 4 losing seasons in a row, but they're 2 major common denominators.  I know we're supposed to be blaming the kickers and offensive lineman, but a lot of different kickers and offensive lineman have played the last 4 years, all with the same results.   That theory doesn't really hold up.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That's a valid point.  I think there will be some struggles this year too. It took Kenny Pickett a few years to play like a Heisman candidate in Whip's system.  I don't expect Thompson to play like that right out of the gate.    I just think the struggles will look more like 7-5 and less like 3-9.

I know a lot of people refuse to acknowledge Martinez and Frost's role in the 4 losing seasons in a row, but they're 2 major common denominators.  I know we're supposed to be blaming the kickers and offensive lineman, but a lot of different kickers and offensive lineman have played the last 4 years, all with the same results.   That theory doesn't really hold up.

I kinda think you’re mostly right but have the roles reversed. Yes, Frost and Martinez were the constants but I think they were the constants that kept us just that close and it was the other things (special teams, OL, kicking, coaching) that prevented getting over the hump in so many games.

I have no idea what will happen this year. I’m with runningblind, I have to see it on the field before I’ll believe any of it but it does appear they’ve addressed a lot of the deficiencies and made additions/improvements just about everywhere. Frost is the remaining common denominator. This year is it, sink or swim.

• Plus1 3
On 2/3/2022 at 10:18 AM, Hedley Lamarr said:

can you name me a quarterback in Nebraska history who led us to 0 winning seasons in 4 tries in our lifetimes? 

I thought we were led by the head coach. Surely you can’t expect the quarterback to play special teams, block and tackle can you?  

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yeah…..because our special teams and O line were so amazing last year. 

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

There's validity to your point.  If Martinez could have cut his turnovers.....

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I kinda think you’re mostly right but have the roles reversed. Yes, Frost and Martinez were the constants but I think they were the constants that kept us just that close and it was the other things (special teams, OL, kicking, coaching) that prevented getting over the hump in so many games.

I have no idea what will happen this year. I’m with runningblind, I have to see it on the field before I’ll believe any of it but it does appear they’ve addressed a lot of the deficiencies and made additions/improvements just about everywhere. Frost is the remaining common denominator. This year is it, sink or swim.

You're welcome to believe that.  Just don't be surprised if we win more games with Whip and Thompson.

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

There's validity to your point.  If Martinez could have cut his turnovers.....

And not fall flat on his face in crunch time.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You're welcome to believe that.  Just don't be surprised if we win more games with Whip and Thompson.

Oh I fully expect to win more games with Thompson and Whip. I think Thompson will be an upgrade (better arm and instincts and likely more “it” factor in crunch time) and Whipple I think will be less stubborn than Frost which should lead to better adaptability.  But I can still feel that 2AM was not our most glaring weakness.

Frost is the wild card imo. Until this off season, he hadn’t showed much willingness to make very radical changes. Some of his decisions and play calling had been dictated by having no player development (subpar staff) and no better options. Yes that is his fault but I can forgive it if he adapts and makes changes. These 11th hour changes are late in coming but here we are so I’m hopeful they bear fruit.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They we so bad last year we had losing seasons the 3 seasons prior. 

See how it doesn't really hold up?

When you consider that even a remedial kicking game would’ve won us at least 3 more games, your narrative really doesn’t hold up either.

The answer is somewhere in between and both. It takes a well coached complete team effort. Fact is we’ve been deficient in all areas. ALL.

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

When you consider that even a remedial kicking game would’ve won us at least 3 more games, your narrative really doesn’t hold up either.

The answer is somewhere in between and both. It takes a well coached complete team effort. Fact is we’ve been deficient in all areas. ALL.

I think a competent kicking game like you said, combined with a QB who doesn’t piss down his leg in crunch time and better play calling will lead to an 8 win season this coming year.  

• Plus1 1