Gotta hand it Frost (and the new hires)

4 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Is that the "whole" story for him?  Do you believe you are giving an "honest" statement here?

Additionally, if true, is it your belief that he sucks and can't be coached up?

I’m just adding perspective to people who seem to believe our losing and turnover problems have disappeared because we have Casey instead of AM. 

8 minutes ago, Cigarman said:

I’m just adding perspective to people who seem to believe our losing and turnover problems have disappeared because we have Casey instead of AM. 

Sure, but don't you think it  would be "fair" to mention his hand issue amidst it all ... or do you report for CNN?  That thought, "statistics don't lie ... people do", seems to apply here.  Within your opinion doesn't seem to be fairness, that is, if one is truly wanting to offer "perspective".  

1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

Sure, but don't you think it  would be "fair" to mention his hand issue amidst it all ... or do you report for CNN?  That thought, "statistics don't lie ... people do", seems to apply here.  Within your opinion doesn't seem to be fairness, that is, if one is truly wanting to offer "perspective".  

For me, I don't know what he will be.  It could be more of the same.  Yet, he had a hand injury amidst all those "statistics".  Prior to that, anyone would have been happy with his performance.  It all makes one look at AM as well amidst his own injury issues and the lack of OL and other missing parts that seemed to hurt him.  In the end, it was best to move on.  In that same light, it seemed the staff was willing to "move in" toward Thompson and give him an opportunity with Purdy and the other QB's.  

No clue what happens here ... especially with the bigger OL issues that are glaring at us.

6 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

For me, I don't know what he will be.  It could be more of the same.  Yet, he had a hand injury amidst all those "statistics".  Prior to that, anyone would have been happy with his performance.  It all makes one look at AM as well amidst his own injury issues and the lack of OL and other missing parts that seemed to hurt him.  In the end, it was best to move on.  In that same light, it seemed the staff was willing to "move in" toward Thompson and give him an opportunity with Purdy and the other QB's.  

No clue what happens here ... especially with the bigger OL issues that are glaring at us.

According to Frost yesterday, he is confident in the current O line roster though he did acknowledge he’d maybe like one more O lineman. He also said they will always be looking to upgrade at any position.  But the coaches MUST see more in the O line room than we’ve seen on the field. They didn’t save many scholarships as far as we can tell based on the info / #s lately.  Maybe another bunch yet to leave?  
I just tend to think the lines will be better than most outsiders suggest.  Otherwise, the coaches know a line is the first thing to build for an offense. 

13 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

According to Frost yesterday, he is confident in the current O line roster though he did acknowledge he’d maybe like one more O lineman. He also said they will always be looking to upgrade at any position.  But the coaches MUST see more in the O line room than we’ve seen on the field. They didn’t save many scholarships as far as we can tell based on the info / #s lately.  Maybe another bunch yet to leave?  
I just tend to think the lines will be better than most outsiders suggest.  Otherwise, the coaches know a line is the first thing to build for an offense. 

Ya, I think this is how they see it as well.  I've had a different view of the OL.  I've argued and debated it enough that I will not restate it.  

I think that we will see 3-5 more folks leave.  I'm hopeful to one more new OL [a stud] to come.  It's the OL and DL that we need some help at over the next few seasons.  It seems like the OL is still a couple of seasons away from being "seasoned" to have Junior/Seniors across the entire line.  I'm hoping the portal will fill that need.  

I'm encouraged that folks like you who have more of an eye and coaching experience in all this see the OL and see it perhaps as a "shade better".  That is awesome.  Hopefully, the new coaches also increase the development along with recruiting improvement.

4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

You guys really find it necessary to bash on a kid who doesn't even play here anymore?  Seriously guys, give it a rest.  Let the people excited about the changes enjoy it.  If you want to be mad, go read the Nebraska Hate Thread on the CU forum.

this year will be telling for Adrian. Interested to see what he does at KSU. 

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Ya, I think this is how they see it as well.  I've had a different view of the OL.  I've argued and debated it enough that I will not restate it.  

I think that we will see 3-5 more folks leave.  I'm hopeful to one more new OL [a stud] to come.  It's the OL and DL that we need some help at over the next few seasons.  It seems like the OL is still a couple of seasons away from being "seasoned" to have Junior/Seniors across the entire line.  I'm hoping the portal will fill that need.  

I'm encouraged that folks like you who have more of an eye and coaching experience in all this see the OL and see it perhaps as a "shade better".  That is awesome.  Hopefully, the new coaches also increase the development along with recruiting improvement.

I’m hoping for 3+ OL this spring, and with the recruiters we have I think we’ll get them. Nebraska is starting to trend upward, I can feel it. 

36 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I’m hoping for 3+ OL this spring, and with the recruiters we have I think we’ll get them. Nebraska is starting to trend upward, I can feel it. 

You and I see this in the same way.  I took a beating early before the season in my "harsh" view of the line [especially toward the person who played the Center position.  I've had a very low grade for the OL.  So, I love to hear that folks think it can be coached up and all ... but I'd still like to over-recruit the OL and let the "decay" and "immature" who can't either "get it" or can't be "coached up" to get overcrowded and feel the need to leave.

I think we are late to the party in taking advantage of the portal [due to our poor record] but I think the coaches are seeing what you are seeing.  If we can work in 3+ OL this spring I'm with you and think that bodes very well as a sign we are heading in the right direction.  

10 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Frost did not recruit over AM, he did not bring in a QB that could really challenge his starting QB and push him to be better or take the back seat. Hopefully that stubbornness changes moving forward, with Whipple here I think it has. 

Yes.  Frost never seemed to give a serious chance to any other QBs to play enough to give a fair look. And he could have found another higher level recruit from JUCO or even high school. I do think that the young guys are probably better than many believe.  Still, Frost spent a lot of real effort and two precious scholarships on transfers. I really am hopeful about Casey and Chubbs (I don’t know enough to judge at all) to make a real 3 or 4 man battle.  I hope Frost will keep the battle open and real and fair.  And play more than one at every opportunity in games.   Same with other positions. We badly need team wide experience and game reps stimulate competition and encourage more effort across the roster.  

• Plus1 1