Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

On 3/18/2022 at 12:55 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

First, NU is not in the NFL and hopefully never will be. I don’t watch Football on sundays and don’t plan to ever.  i used to but cookie cutter plays and free agent players etc took the fun out of it for me. 

Second, NU was one of a very few teams that was power run football for 20 years (circa 82 to 02) and was one of the winningest programs of all time.  

Our single biggest advantage was the fact that we were different and teams were not willing and or interested in copying us.  Few really tried because it is not easy to do.  

We don’t need a Fullback per se.  Just reposition a back-up TE a dozen snaps a game for pass pro and or run power plays or even an option now and then.  Those extra CBs and safety won’t be able to play pass defense every play.  

The hurry up tempo will really work when the defense has to defend both run and pass with a run package and can’t substitute.  

And we need a power element to the offense of some kind, coupled with our multiple finesse RPO pass game.

Whipple and company will figure out a way.  That’s got to be the reason they brought him there. 

Whip (or maybe players) said he will run a lot more 12 personnel.  I like that idea.  Get two additional blockers/receivers at the LOS.  Create some size issues.  Two bigger targets in the red zone and the ability to have one motion or start in the backfield to give us a HB/FB, some window dressing or simply as an extra blocker/outlet receiver.  Unsure how many times we ran 12 last last year.

6 hours ago, lo country said:

Whip (or maybe players) said he will run a lot more 12 personnel.  I like that idea.  Get two additional blockers/receivers at the LOS.  Create some size issues.  Two bigger targets in the red zone and the ability to have one motion or start in the backfield to give us a HB/FB, some window dressing or simply as an extra blocker/outlet receiver.  Unsure how many times we ran 12 last last year.

Not near enough but that was mostly because TV was hurt for the first several games last year

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He has a lot of grit.  Gym rat.  High motor.  Deceptively fast.  First one in the gym, last one out.  Has a lot of heart.  Brings his lunch pail everyday.  Plays the game the right way. Type of guy you'd want your daughter to date.

The next great Nebraska fullback. To slow for tailback, too short for any other position. 

21 hours ago, lo country said:

Unsure how many times we ran 12 last last year.

I thought I had seen that tracked somewhere last year but I can't find it now.

Not sure if this helps but PFF shows our TEs played a total of 1,109 snaps on 854 total offensive plays last year - Austin 548, Vokolek 342, Hickman 89, Brewington 74 plus 56 from four others.  I don't know how often we were in a three-TE set but I don't think it was a lot.  If I allow 15 snaps in a three-TE set that would leave 1,064 snaps for TEs on 839 plays.  That would be 225 plays in a two-TE set and 614 in a one-TE set, or 26% of the time in a two-TE set.

• Plus1 1

Trey Palmer, Tommi Hill and Brody Belt are the top punt returners right now.

Busch likes to have WRs as gunners on punt coverage because they're used to getting off the line.  Wants to force fair catches.

Manning said he likes playing in the Slot where he can get mismatches against LBs and smaller DBs.

• Fire 1