Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

Think people are overreacting to the defensive line a little bit. That and secondary are the two areas we've seen players make improvements each offseason under Frost. If Robinson/Fiest/Rodgers/Hutch can progress from backup level to starter level and some of the young guys like Weaver can come along to provide depth, then I think it will be fine. And we've seen evidence of that happening every year imo.

Keep in mind that we were in nickel on like 70 percent of our snaps last season, which only uses two linemen. Not saying it's going to be the strength of the team or that we shouldn't go try to grab a couple guys for depth/insurance out of the portal, but when we talk about player development and "cooking" guys behind the scenes for years like Iowa and Wisconsin, this is where that shows up. And if that hasn't been happening for the last four years, then I think the staff doesn't have any reason to keep their jobs. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Haven’t even seen a single practice or the spring game (barely a scrimmage actually), and the defense has gone from the strength (albeit not great but pretty decent atleast) to a near disaster with mention of firing coaches!   Good grief.  

The ink is barely dry on the new hires’ contracts and ???   what do we know about their work product at this point?  

Practically booting the D line roster off the team and bringing spring transfers from anywhere ? Why?  Because our current guys are not already great players after a couple years behind several starters who’ve departed after long careers!   
Maybe it would be fair to give some guys a few games before dumping in them?  Seems reasonable ?  

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Who writes this?

Isn't it Herbie?  

Seriously, though.. I have a strong suspicion, but would like to respect a degree of anonymity for them (also in case I'm wrong).  Kind of like not publicly guessing the identity of HB posters.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:46 PM, Lorewarn said:

You nailed it! I'm sure Scott, who has played under or coached with Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, Bill Belicheck, Tony Dungey, Mike Tomlin, Jon Gruden and Coach Kelly, has forgotten how to practice in such a way as to make an offense run well.

Yeah, our practices have been GREAT. Best practices ever, actually. In fact, I'd say we're the best practice team in the nation. 

Name dropping doesn't help when you barely average 24 points a game over 4 years and go 2 straight seasons with just 3 wins. 

And I already mentioned Osborne, a coach that Frost isn't taking much of anything from offense-wise. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Not sure where that guy is hearing Clark is the guy opposite Newsome. I keep hearing that Tommi Hill came in and has been super impressive and that's why they moved Buford to S.

I think DL will be in better shape than ppl think. Most of the time we're only playing 2 at a time, so barring injury, we really need Robinson and Rogers to be the guys that they have shown in flashes over the last couple years and do it consistently. Then we need guys like Feist & Hutmacher to step up for 2nd rotation and heavy packages when we play 3 big men. Like others have said, it still wouldn't be a bad idea to get 1 or 2 DL out of the portal if for no other reason than to add quality depth.

Obviously TE is concerning as well with all the injuries.

And OL, I'm definitely taking the wait-and-see approach with that unit.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

On 4/1/2022 at 7:13 PM, J-MAGIC said:

Think people are overreacting to the defensive line a little bit. That and secondary are the two areas we've seen players make improvements each offseason under Frost. If Robinson/Fiest/Rodgers/Hutch can progress from backup level to starter level and some of the young guys like Weaver can come along to provide depth, then I think it will be fine. And we've seen evidence of that happening every year imo.

Keep in mind that we were in nickel on like 70 percent of our snaps last season, which only uses two linemen. Not saying it's going to be the strength of the team or that we shouldn't go try to grab a couple guys for depth/insurance out of the portal, but when we talk about player development and "cooking" guys behind the scenes for years like Iowa and Wisconsin, this is where that shows up. And if that hasn't been happening for the last four years, then I think the staff doesn't have any reason to keep their jobs. 

NIckel only s 2 D-Lineman? I thought Nickel was a 4-2-5 type of formation.  On a side note, I hate playing with 3 d-lineman. Would much rather see 4-3 / 4-2-5 defesne

51 minutes ago, Huskers34 said:

Talked to a special teamer I used to coach in HS baseball. 

Said the biggest difference is the actual formality of practice. Meaning there is a set ways to do things that is much more beneficial. 

I can't wait to see how these guys fit into the schemes. 

I have heard some different spins that equated to the same positive feeling- the overall vibe is they are getting more done during practice.  Hopefully that translates to Saturdays this fall.    

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Decked said:

I feel pretty confident in a top 4 at CB rotation of Hill, Newsome, Clark, & Brown. Not very confident on that other safety spot opposite Buford. 

I feel like you kind of know what you're getting with Farmer, serviceable.  I know Tyreke Johnson came here to play corner but it doesn't seem like he's even sniffing the top unit there.  But I'm sure if they thought he'd make a better safety they would have done that already.  

23 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

NIckel only s 2 D-Lineman? I thought Nickel was a 4-2-5 type of formation.  On a side note, I hate playing with 3 d-lineman. Would much rather see 4-3 / 4-2-5 defesne

The way we ran it last year, yes.  

We were basically going with OLB-DL-DL-OLB for the "down four", two ILBs then five DBs.

• Plus1 3