Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

I obviously want to land Mathis but what does that do for this defense when our best 2 players seem to be OLBs at this point? If we are primarily in a 3-4 I'm not sure he is big enough to start on the DL. Almost would have to move Nelson to DE imo

I'll also say again we have more injured players than other other B10 team until someone proves me wrong. 

49 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I obviously want to land Mathis but what does that do for this defense when our best 2 players seem to be OLBs at this point? If we are primarily in a 3-4 I'm not sure he is big enough to start on the DL. Almost would have to move Nelson to DE imo

I'll also say again we have more injured players than other other B10 team until someone proves me wrong. 

Ochaun Mathis is 6'5 257, so he can play DE. Nelson is 6'3 245. That said, we definitely need some thick dudes from the portal for the interior. 

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Notes from SSO who has been a a couple practices this spring.  Touches on every position groups and lets you know who is running with the 1s and 2s.  Good and bad observations.

https://herbieshangout.com/2022/03/31/spring-talk-nil-sc-changes/

I thought his takes on NIL were interesting.  I think Nebraska was out in front at first but if I remember correctly state laws prevent them being at the top.   Like texas doesn't have the same laws regarding NIL so the actual school is able to give money to players.  I may be wrong on that tho.

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

it gives us 3 players with a pedigree off the edge we can trust. We definitely need more capable bodies inside but Mathis can get to the qb and the more pressure we get the better the back end will look

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Notes from SSO who has been a a couple practices this spring.  Touches on every position groups and lets you know who is running with the 1s and 2s.  Good and bad observations.

https://herbieshangout.com/2022/03/31/spring-talk-nil-sc-changes/

With how young the defensive line is hearing that they already need to trim fat so they can get guys from the portal is concerning. Makes you wonder why some of those guys were recruited in the first place. Thanks for posting.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I suspect that we won't be playing so much 3-man front this season, unless somebody steps up as a legit NT (or we land a transfer).

• Plus1 1

Coach T was a good on the field coach. Terrible recruiting. Same with Keith Williams. Trent Bray is another very overhyped guy that comes to mind as well. I don’t doubt we have better guys this year on staff I just don’t think they have the time or the players on the roster to turn this thing above .500. OL/DL being potentially two of your worst positions don’t exactly blend well. Better hope to god our special teams goes from worst to best. Gonna need to play sound football this year with good special teams, minimal turnovers, & penalties. Unfortunately we have been brutally terrible at all of these. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think a former player since he can attend practice.  He used to be on HuskerMax but was kicked off for offering some truths about the program they didn't want to hear.

Which was a huge loss for HM. Hands down the best poster they had and was very well liked by most there. But with his own blog now @HerbiesHangout he can offer his opinions without worrying about somebody looking over his shoulder so it worked out good for us Husker fans that enjoy reading what he has to say.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

With how young the defensive line is hearing that they already need to trim fat so they can get guys from the portal is concerning. Makes you wonder why some of those guys were recruited in the first place. Thanks for posting.

Coach T couldn't recruit the connections he had to Nebraska. My father works with his cousin(who coach T is very close to), and he told us that the kids he was after just couldn't pull the trigger to living in Nebraska. Tuioti didn't have connections outside of CA and the islands. From there, Nebraska was left reaching and having to sign less than intended, or had other coaches pull weight on that front.  

The players loved him though, and he could coach. The D-lineman like him much more than Dawson.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

I suspect that we won't be playing so much 3-man front this season, unless somebody steps up as a legit NT (or we land a transfer).

Likely true.  But we didn't play much 3-man front last year as well.  It's pretty much opponent-driven.  We load up with a "3-man front" against Wisconsin and Iowa.  Most everyone else it was basically a 4-2-5.

• Plus1 1