Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Vokolek has proven to be fine.  Everyone else you listed is a big question mark.

Hickman has done nothing in 3 years and bounced around between WR and TE.  Has Brewington done anything besides being a kick out blocker on the goal line package?  Rollins is a RSFr who hasn't seen the field.  Androff is a true FR who basically was an extra OT for his HS team.

If Fidone really is done for the year then we need to be looking for a portal TE.

We also have James Carnie as well. Spring should give everyone a chance and let Beckton know if we do need a portal addition. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

If Fidone really is done for the year then we need to be looking for a portal TE.

My money is on us taking in another TE after spring.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Great "addition"? Fidone is our BEST tight end...

Well he is hurt again supposedly. 

Vokolek is our best.  Fidone is most talented, gifted, athletic.  Fidone will most likely be the best when he gets healthy and making plays. If he's healthy and on the field, it's a win-win for the team.

• Plus1 2
57 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We need o line and d line much more than another transfer TE most likely  similar to the 5 we’ve got.  

Agreed. I think you can get by with TV (gotta basically put bubble wrap on him until the season), Hickman, Brewington and a combination or one of the RS Fr.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I'm aware he is hurt, but he made it seem like he's just another tight end on the team...

No, I am fully aware he's a special talent.  Maybe I worded it wrong. :dunno

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Vokolek has proven to be fine.  Everyone else you listed is a big question mark.

Hickman has done nothing in 3 years and bounced around between WR and TE.  Has Brewington done anything besides being a kick out blocker on the goal line package?  Rollins is a RSFr who hasn't seen the field.  Androff is a true FR who basically was an extra OT for his HS team.

I only listed the guys we have on the roster that played last year, but included 2 guys were we were happy to recruit.

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We need o line and d line much more than another transfer TE most likely  similar to the 5 we’ve got.  

Not really disagreeing, but we've probably got a better chance of actually landing a good TE than linemen.

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

agree!  linemen hard to find though, we are proof of that!

Yes.  We are trying.  Need to land some.  Things are looking up with the offers and visits and two recent commits.   I also tend to believe (I always want to believe anyway) that there is enough to get better than we have shown already on the team.  Coaching and some schematic ‘fixes’ will really help.  Whipple and Raiola will have new ideas that can find ways to get the defense guessing.  It helps the o line to have an element of surprise at the snap.   The D line will get some some learning from having to defend these new things.  A pass rush - mixed in now and then at least - will give opponents some new twists and so on.  We could use a couple Peter brothers and Suuuuuh!  But it’s not hopeless nor empty.  Dawson has been around the block a few times too!  

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

I keep seeing little snippets/comments that we are going to be under center more.  Of course just under center at the goal line would be "more" than we do, but wondered where this is coming from or any truth to it.  

Whipple said it.  He likes to have it in the mix and said he tells guys he'll get them ready for the NFL and they need to be able to do that in the NFL.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Dang thats crazy how he must have convinced the majority of other teams in college and the NFL to kill the position also. 

First, NU is not in the NFL and hopefully never will be. I don’t watch Football on sundays and don’t plan to ever.  i used to but cookie cutter plays and free agent players etc took the fun out of it for me. 

Second, NU was one of a very few teams that was power run football for 20 years (circa 82 to 02) and was one of the winningest programs of all time.  

Our single biggest advantage was the fact that we were different and teams were not willing and or interested in copying us.  Few really tried because it is not easy to do.  

We don’t need a Fullback per se.  Just reposition a back-up TE a dozen snaps a game for pass pro and or run power plays or even an option now and then.  Those extra CBs and safety won’t be able to play pass defense every play.  

The hurry up tempo will really work when the defense has to defend both run and pass with a run package and can’t substitute.  

And we need a power element to the offense of some kind, coupled with our multiple finesse RPO pass game.

Whipple and company will figure out a way.  That’s got to be the reason they brought him there. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2