Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

On 3/18/2022 at 10:55 AM, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Dang thats crazy how he must have convinced the majority of other teams in college and the NFL to kill the position also. 

That doesnt change the fact that it is ironic the person to finally do it at NU was a former player who had a FB behind him in the glory days of NU....

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

That doesnt change the fact that it is ironic the person to finally do it at NU was a former player who had a FB behind him in the glory days of NU....

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that a player updates his system as he goes through his career.

I mean...TO didn't stick with the same type of system his entire career.  I'm sure Nick Saban didn't stick with the same system.  Systems change.  It's also interesting how Husker fans fixate on this one part of a system.

• Plus1 6
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that a player updates his system as he goes through his career.

I mean...TO didn't stick with the same type of system his entire career.  I'm sure Nick Saban didn't stick with the same system.  Systems change.  It's also interesting how Husker fans fixate on this one part of a system.

I’m not sure it’s quite accurate to say Huskers fans fixate on the FB position but it is true that many of the fans are fixated on the losing year after year and find the lack of success largely related to the inability to run the dam ball.   The pass the dam ball guys seem focused on getting rid of the power run game equally as much.  Most of us see the need for both but it doesn’t seem like the pass the dam ballers can come to accept this.  But this is the great divide that parts the Big Red Sea.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Um ... "finally" is pretty over-stated.  Considering we went through an 11-year stretch where the fullback was used pretty sparingly before Riley brought it back to some extent.

• Plus1 3
30 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I’m not sure it’s quite accurate to say Huskers fans fixate on the FB position but it is true that many of the fans are fixated on the losing year after year and find the lack of success largely related to the inability to run the dam ball.   The pass the dam ball guys seem focused on getting rid of the power run game equally as much.  Most of us see the need for both but it doesn’t seem like the pass the dam ballers can come to accept this.  But this is the great divide that parts the Big Red Sea.  

I don't know a single Husker Fan that doesn't want the team to run the ball with success.  The "great divide" as you state it exists only because some fans such as yourselves can't let go of the past to understand the game changes.  Three yards and a cloud of dust isn't what it once was, and it never will be again.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I don't know a single Husker Fan that doesn't want the team to run the ball with success.  The "great divide" as you state it exists only because some fans such as yourselves can't let go of the past to understand the game changes.  Three yards and a cloud of dust isn't what it once was, and it never will be again.  

Nobody wants three yards and a cloud of Astro turf like the 70s and the recent years. But we will be happy as can be with a decent run game to go along with all the passes and sacks and ints - lol.  Find a way to win about 50 games out of the next 65 and we will all feel better.  Sadly, it won’t happen with the Frost system of the past 4 seasons.  I am counting on Whipple to fix it.  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Nobody wants three yards and a cloud of Astro turf like the 70s and the recent years. But we will be happy as can be with a decent run game to go along with all the passes and sacks and ints - lol.  Find a way to win about 50 games out of the next 65 and we will all feel better.  Sadly, it won’t happen with the Frost system of the past 4 seasons.  I am counting on Whipple to fix it.  

Now you are contradicting yourself - So what great divide are you referencing?  

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We ran more called run plays last year than any other Big Ten team besides Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin, and that's despite our pass game being vastly more productive and efficient than our run game. Frost wants to run the ball and has done it probably far more than was advisable given what we were actually good at last year. The "pass the ball" guys aren't the wrong or causing the divide. The issue is some people here act like we aren't prioritizing the run if we use any system that's not the flexbone or something.

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

We ran more called run plays last year than any other Big Ten team besides Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin, and that's despite our pass game being vastly more productive and efficient than our run game. Frost wants to run the ball and has done it probably far more than was advisable given what we were actually good at last year. The "pass the ball" guys aren't the wrong or causing the divide. The issue is some people here act like we aren't prioritizing the run if we use any system that's not the flexbone or something.

Absolutely not.  

• Plus1 1

For the record "three yards and a cloud of dust" is what Bob Devaney inherited from Bill Jennings in 1962, and converted to a more innovative running game and more active passing game that led to 40 consecutive winning seasons.

Fun fact: Husker fans had grown so tired of Jenning's conservative offense that when Devaney called a pass play on his first play as head coach, Memorial Stadium gave him a standing ovation, even though the pass was incomplete.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

For the record "three yards and a cloud of dust" is what Bob Devaney inherited from Bill Jennings in 1962, and converted to a more innovative running game and more active passing game that led to 40 consecutive winning seasons.

Fun fact: Husker fans had grown so tired of Jenning's conservative offense that when Devaney called a pass play on his first play as head coach, Memorial Stadium gave him a standing ovation, even though the pass was incomplete.

Soooo.....you're saying that "run the damn ball" guy was born sometime after 1962?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Please tell us it was a behind the line pass that skipped to the receiver. You know, the kind we all came to know and love throughout the 80's and 90's.

• Plus1 1