When will Nebraska finally make THE BIG CHANGE?

unl7fan

5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Um...campus was Pepsi exclusive during our run of National Championships in 1994, 1995, and 1997 IIRC...so I'm not sure what good old days you're referring to. 

I'm pretty sure when people mention the good old days around here, they're talking 1990s. 

They sold Coke at Memorial Stadium before 1997. They switched to Pepsi that year.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They sold Coke at Memorial Stadium through 1997. Then they switched to Pepsi.

That's odd, because I don't remember there being Coke on campus at all from 1994 on. I remember during Freshman orientation someone even commenting on it. 

I mean, I believe you...but maybe there's two different contracts--one for campus, one for Memorial?

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

That's odd, because I don't remember there being Coke on campus at all from 1994 on. I remember during Freshman orientation someone even commenting on it. 

I mean, I believe you...but maybe there's two different contracts--one for campus, one for Memorial?

I had to edit my comment - at the stadium they sold Coke until 1997. The contract switched to Pepsi that year.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I had to edit my comment - at the stadium they sold Coke until 1997. The contract switched to Pepsi that year.

Whew - glad we got that controversy settled:B)   I'll take a root beer instead. 

But yes, overall I think Coke is a better product for that Cola taste.  But my stomach works better wt the uncolas - 7UP, Sprite, Squirt (can you even find it anymore), RB.  

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

But yes, overall I think Coke is a better product for that Cola taste.  But my stomach works better wt the uncolas - 7UP, Sprite, Squirt (can you even find it anymore), RB.  

Ok, since you are a fan of root beer, what is your choice for root beer?  A&W, Barqs, or Mug?  Or will you go with some high-end IBC root beer?

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

There's a burger joint in Lincoln that used to sell Squirt from their soda machine, but they had to stop because the grapefruit pulp clogged up the dispenser nozzle. 

Back in the day Q4Quick at 17th & Q sold Gatorade from a fountain dispenser. We bought that all the time.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ok, since you are a fan of root beer, what is your choice for root beer?  A&W, Barqs, or Mug?  Or will you go with some high-end IBC root beer?

We could start an entire thread about this. I have done blind root beer taste tests with my family and friends a few times. I give them samples of 18-22 different brands of root beer and then everyone votes on their favorite. The interesting thing is that the national brands (a&w, Barq's,) always are near the bottom. Generic brands (Shasta or store brands) are middle of the pack and specialty or craft root beers come in at the top. Sprechers brand has won the most times.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There's a burger joint in Lincoln that used to sell Squirt from their soda machine, but they had to stop because the grapefruit pulp clogged up the dispenser nozzle. 

Back in the day Q4Quick at 17th & Q sold Gatorade from a fountain dispenser. We bought that all the time.

I would drink at least 1-2 40 ounce sodas from that Quik Stop on 17th & Q.  Then there was a gas station at 16th & P which added a 64 ounce soda and I was in heaven.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yes, growing up - and working on the farm I thought that Squirt was the best thirst quencher - because of the grapefruit.   My neighbor always served us what he called 

'nectar' - when we were bailing hay for him.  It was the sweetest mix of unsatisfying :koolaid2:that one could find.  

1) If my grade school aged kids are any indication, Under Armour will soon over take Nike as the cool brand. The way they look at the swish branded clothes, it might as well be Wilson. All their classmates are the same. 

2) I have not seen Squirt served through a fountain in years. Most gas stations still have Squirt, Diet Squirt, and Ruby Red Squirt around here. I will kill for some Diet Ruby Red Squirt, but I don't think they even make it. 

7 minutes ago, default_28 said:

We could start an entire thread about this. I have done blind root beer taste tests with my family and friends a few times. I give them samples of 18-22 different brands of root beer and then everyone votes on their favorite. The interesting thing is that the national brands (a&w, Barq's,) always are near the bottom. Generic brands (Shasta or store brands) are middle of the pack and specialty or craft root beers come in at the top. Sprechers brand has won the most times.

agreed   How about mixing 2 of my favorites:  bread pudding and root beer.  You can find it at Pops66 where they literally have 100s of different soda brands to chose from.  On route 66 east of OKC.  Most of the brands are those craft, or hard to find 'no name' brands.  

https://pops66.com/pages/menu

https://pops66.com/pages/about-us