Portals and Trenches

8 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The 85 limit has been around a long time.  Even at 85, that’d still give them 3 deep scholarships at every position.  We don’t have that on the O line. I believe we have about 10 on five positions.  Have half that at QB and three will likely never play.  In four years, how many scholarships has Frost used for O line total?   The most important part of the offense.  Maybe I’ve miscounted when I checked the ‘21 roster.  

We have 14 scholarship OL for this year.  So we're one away from a three-deep right now and we're likely to add a transfer after the spring semester.

Counting transfers we have added 6, 2, 4 and 3 new scholarship OL in the last four years, respectively.  So 15 in four years, which is right at the number you say we should have.

I await your congratulating Frost on handling things how you think they should be handled.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

No. Most won’t leave IF they are contributing.  That’s been the problem.  Frost and staff haven’t played back ups in several places.  Yet we are still losing.  How many scholarships given to WRs?  30?  Seems like it.  5 in this class. Too many. 

That makes sense, can't win with the starters, play the backups. They will definitely do better. And get those third stringers in there to really  boost that lead.

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

No. Most won’t leave IF they are contributing.  That’s been the problem.  Frost and staff haven’t played back ups in several places.

You do remember Frost starting a true freshman on the o line last year, right?  Name a position a backup hasn't been tried.

You also complain about recruiting to many receivers but seem to forget that we had huge receiver depth issues in 2020. 

I get it.  You want it to be better and you want a smoking gun.  My advice is to look in the mirror.  I think unrealistic fans are as much to blame as anything over the last 20 years.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Hilltop said:

You do remember Frost starting a true freshman on the o line last year, right?  Name a position a backup hasn't been tried.

You also complain about recruiting to many receivers but seem to forget that we had huge receiver depth issues in 2020. 

I get it.  You want it to be better and you want a smoking gun.  My advice is to look in the mirror.  I think unrealistic fans are as much to blame as anything over the last 20 years.

Unrealistic fans are to blame now for the current mess?   LMAO.   Geesh!  What are you drinking?

I will give you credit for creativity on that one as I think you’re the first one to say the real problem is those darn loyal fans for suggesting the team could do better!  

Be serious now - do you honestly believe it’s the fans’ fault the team is not winning even half their games?  Frost bears little or no responsibility?  DONU is losing consistently to teams with exactly the same scholarship limits with fewer players, similar or lesser facilities, less expensive coaches, and fewer of those darn loyal to the max fans?

Do you also believe Devaney, Osborne, Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and even Riley would agree?  Or any of another 50 HCs you care to name?  Do you believe Trev should retain Frost if he continues to find ways to lose ‘close’ to a majority of opponents the next two years?  

Historically speaking, next year’s schedule would be a ten win schedule, even for Solich or Pelini.  Riley and Callahan would reasonably find 7-8. Yet,   all four were fired for doing significantly better than Frost.

Frost has over 150 on the roster with roughly 40 coming and going annually. Even Frost fired his “dear friends who he just called good coaches and great people” to include former Husker players who he hired and rehired and paid exceedingly well above the norms!

HIS program enters season 5 with more questions than it began with arguably.  Five recruiting classes in and questions abound.  That’s NOT my fault nor the fault of hundreds of thousands of fans, boosters, administrative staff, broadcasters, analysts, or even players as a group. There is and has been enough talent to win more than half the games played.  These are the facts, cold and simple, hard as that may be for some to accept.  

I have supported Frost all along as he is the coach of my one and only team!  Admittedly, it’s not easy as I vehemently hate his offense and likely always will.  Frost would not have been my hire but he was chosen by popular demand - so be it!  I could live with the offenses of all the previous coaches in my lifetime but the Osborne option laden was the most exciting, diverse, most fun.  The Callahan west coach had its moments.  But, any offense requires an offensive line, experienced maturing players, and stability and consistency.  As we enter year 5, do you see that anywhere?   Is it getting better or potentially worse?  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Unrealistic fans are to blame now for the current mess?   LMAO.   Geesh!  What are you drinking?

I will give you credit for creativity on that one as I think you’re the first one to say the real problem is those darn loyal fans for suggesting the team could do better!  

Be serious now - do you honestly believe it’s the fans’ fault the team is not winning even half their games?  Frost bears little or no responsibility?  DONU is losing consistently to teams with exactly the same scholarship limits with fewer players, similar or lesser facilities, less expensive coaches, and fewer of those darn loyal to the max fans?

Do you also believe Devaney, Osborne, Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and even Riley would agree?  Or any of another 50 HCs you care to name?  Do you believe Trev should retain Frost if he continues to find ways to lose ‘close’ to a majority of opponents the next two years?  

Historically speaking, next year’s schedule would be a ten win schedule, even for Solich or Pelini.  Riley and Callahan would reasonably find 7-8. Yet,   all four were fired for doing significantly better than Frost.

Frost has over 150 on the roster with roughly 40 coming and going annually. Even Frost fired his “dear friends who he just called good coaches and great people” to include former Husker players who he hired and rehired and paid exceedingly well above the norms!

HIS program enters season 5 with more questions than it began with arguably.  Five recruiting classes in and questions abound.  That’s NOT my fault nor the fault of hundreds of thousands of fans, boosters, administrative staff, broadcasters, analysts, or even players as a group. There is and has been enough talent to win more than half the games played.  These are the facts, cold and simple, hard as that may be for some to accept.  

I have supported Frost all along as he is the coach of my one and only team!  Admittedly, it’s not easy as I vehemently hate his offense and likely always will.  Frost would not have been my hire but he was chosen by popular demand - so be it!  I could live with the offenses of all the previous coaches in my lifetime but the Osborne option laden was the most exciting, diverse, most fun.  The Callahan west coach had its moments.  But, any offense requires an offensive line, experienced maturing players, and stability and consistency.  As we enter year 5, do you see that anywhere?   Is it getting better or potentially worse?  

I knew I shouldn't count on you to be a deep thinker.  Yes, you do have a small part of the responsibility.

For the record I like our fan base.  That support is what will hopefully lead us out of the mess we are in.  That said...

Nebraska doesn't have as much of a revolving door at the head coach position if the fans aren't calling for people's heads.  How would the team be today if we had a little more patience with Solich or any of the others?   

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I knew I shouldn't count on you to be a deep thinker.  Yes, you do have a small part of the responsibility.

For the record I like our fan base.  That support is what will hopefully lead us out of the mess we are in.  That said...

Nebraska doesn't have as much of a revolving door at the head coach position if the fans aren't calling for people's heads.  How would the team be today if we had a little more patience with Solich or any of the others?   

You think it was the fans fault for firing Solich? The fans controlled Harvey Perlman huh? Made him hire Steve Pederson? That is one of the most interesting takes I have heard. The fans continued things, had an effect on Bo, but they didn't start this parade.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Deep thinking?   Lol.  Deep sh**t thinking maybe.  
I had a small part in firing Frank?  Lol.  I’ve only met him personally once back in the early 1980s for about 10 second hand shake.  I never met Steve Pederson.  I did meet Harvey P while in law school. Not ever one word was discussed about football with any of the three.  

Recruiting ignorance got Solich dismissed as the talent was evaporating under his watch.  He was not a good closer apparently and turned away too many in my view. Callahan lost far too many games to keep his job. TO fired him. Pelini won enough but had some embarrassing games and then his foul temper got him in trouble and it seemed he was a disaster waiting to happen.  Anger management must be accepted.  Neither were fans fault!  Fans didn’t hire but generally gave every coach a warm

welcome and a pretty fair shot. 
Riley was certainly not Fan hire and a case could be made that some (a vocal minority) were unfairly critical from day one but most gave him

a benefit of the doubt chance.  Dam few were burning torches and pitchforks ready to chase him out. He was not successful and probably needed to go he was not the fans fault.  
As for Frost - he was welcomed like no coach ever had been. Paid exhorbitantly imo. Multiples of predecessors.  Not the fans to be blamed for losing so dam many winnable games.  I’ve never met him and had nothing to do with his hire nor would I have with his dismissal.  I don’t believe he will be fired. He will resign should the losing continue. He is a life long winner at heart and it has to be the

most difficult thing in his life to see this happen on his watch.   Just my opinion.  

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

worse, we continue to hire really inexperienced coaches and recruit big bodies, not skilled players, for the OL.

we recruit too damn many "project" kids and waste a couple years just trying to teach them football!

waste of time.

• Oh Yeah! 1