Running Back Room

TGHusker

3 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I have no clue where the RB group will go.  All the new blood leads my mind to believe that the staff is moving on to new players and thus, I would think that Stepp and Yant are the next out of the RB room.  I have no "insight", just reading the tea leaves here of what is said and not said along with how the staff was recruiting that spot

That is my 'gut' feeling also.  Based on nothing but fairy dust but I think a new RB coach would lean towards those he recruited. 

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

That is my 'gut' feeling also.  Based on nothing but fairy dust but I think a new RB coach would lean towards those he recruited. 

I suspect they will play the best guys.  These coaches know they have short term deals - two years basically - to get a team in the Big Ten race - seriously and play 2 bowl games.  They can’t afford to play favorites.  Best guy for the job will play.  We don’t know what ‘the job’ will be yet do who knows which RBs will fit, will stay, will perform, etc.  

We may have a FB this fall. We may line up in a power I. Maybe a two split backs.  May be use wing backs.  Less shot gun.  Any thing is possible.  Imo.  
Fidone may split out.  Wild cat a bunch.  Triple option.  Or even all of the above.  It may vary week to week.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is one hell of a lot of difference between Yant and LP...and I'm not talking in the talent area because nobody is going to match LP there.  LP was a freak in shape and brought it every single time on the field and that includes practice to the point he was getting in fights with defenders.  He was an animal that just never stopped.  There was no way you're keeping him off the field other than the legal troubles he ultimately had.  I'm pretty sure you can't describe Yant like that.  When you show up out of shape and possibly don't bring intensity in practice, it's harder to commit to you in games.

I think you went where I was hoping you wouldn't.  Still, so, the kid had the NW put of shape, so you bench him after that output?  For me, with how pour the production was, U don't get why he didn't get a sniff after that.

To me, it's obvious we are moving on.  But, what was done didn't help/work.  It sounds like they should have never given him a scholarship.

2 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I think you went where I was hoping you wouldn't.  Still, so, the kid had the NW put of shape, so you bench him after that output?  For me, with how pour the production was, U don't get why he didn't get a sniff after that.

To me, it's obvious we are moving on.  But, what was done didn't help/work.  It sounds like they should have never given him a scholarship.

And, the RB coach was changed.  So, Frost must have agreed that the group was mismanaged.  Which, I agree.

7 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

He didn't play early in the year due to his weight, he played once he got to an agreed upon weight. The disciplinary action was later, two separate issues. He did play the next 3 games after NW, he was just always RB2 including against NW. Didn't play against OSU/Wisc, but then was RB1 against Iowa. So I don't really believe we are clearly moving on, he had chances after NW.

I do think the room as a whole was mismanaged last year, and I have no idea what the discipline was for. But he looks to be in great shape at the moment and that's been the bigger concern over his time here. He's in a lot better spot going into the spring than Stepp, who really didn't get a sniff in conference play until Yant missed some games.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He didn't play early in the year due to his weight, he played once he got to an agreed upon weight. The disciplinary action was later, two separate issues. He did play the next 3 games after NW, he was just always RB2 including against NW. Didn't play against OSU/Wisc, but then was RB1 against Iowa. So I don't really believe we are clearly moving on, he had chances after NW.

That, and we saw some major blunders from him on the field.  It's not like he was awesome every time he stepped on the field.

• Haha 1

Yant along with nearly all our RBs have been very young.  None are gifted like LP.  Not in the same league imo.  

But, none of the RBs stood out above the rest really.  They took turns doing good and bad as younger players all do.  Nothing like experience and maturity and time for reps, learning, etc.  RBs in Frost’s system need to be involved as runners, receivers, blockers - the whole package.  That takes seasons to develop imo.  Perhaps we rotated guys with limited packages of plays within game plans that varied weekly?  I don’t think ANY we bad recruiting wise.  M Washington had his off field issue but really that was way over blown and sad it didn’t get worked out better for all concerned.  Hopefully we can keep and develop and keep healthy the current group for even 3 seasons. Then we will have what we all see as needed.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, TGHusker said:

I agree.  Perhaps it is too early to appoint Allen as heir to the throne - he and E Johnson may need some time to get use to P5 football, but I can see Grant competing for the starting spot wt R Johnson or Gabe being # 2.    I'm not sold on Yanz and Stepp.  It will be interesting to see how it shakes out in spring ball. 

Stepp was a portal medical hand me down from USC, guys like that rarely excel, but not impossible, he didn't make much noise least season on limited carries.

24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Grant, Johnson and Yant said to be at the top of the list right now.  Stepp not a factor.

Will be interesting to see where Ervin fits in when healthy and Allen when he gets here.

I have felt that our running back room was stacked for the last few years yet every year, due to injuries and other factors, they dissapoint.  That being said a RB room with Grant, Johnson, Yant, Allen and a healthy Ervin seems pretty loaded. 

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Farms said:

I have felt that our running back room was stacked for the last few years yet every year, due to injuries and other factors, they dissapoint.  That being said a RB room with Grant, Johnson, Yant, Allen and a healthy Ervin seems pretty loaded. 

There definitely is enough talent there to be productive if the blocking is there.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Grant, Johnson and Yant said to be at the top of the list right now.  Stepp not a factor.

Will be interesting to see where Ervin fits in when healthy and Allen when he gets here.

Which Johnson?   We have the new guy from Minnesota who will be a contributor.  But I assume you mean RJ.