Running Back Room

TGHusker

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Grant, Johnson and Yant said to be at the top of the list right now.  Stepp not a factor.

Will be interesting to see where Ervin fits in when healthy and Allen when he gets here.

This makes sense.  Rhamir ended up as last season's number 1, Grant looks like he could be special, albeit just based on limited practice clips, and if its true that Yant has been putting in the work, he's got the size to be a difference maker.

And then with Ervin and Allen, it's a good problem to have.  I think the coaches want three reliable backs at any one time, so assuming the coaching is now good and with the inevitable injuries, etc. the RB room looks to be in a good spot.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

A lot to like in this video. Yant getting reps with ones and looking like an absolute beast.  Also loved to see Farmer and Tannor (I think) trying hard to get the ball.  Forcing turnovers is something we could really improve upon. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

On 3/11/2022 at 12:36 PM, soup said:

Man, hang on to that ball.  That thing is flying all over the place.  Other than that, that is some good running and/or poor tackling

It looked nice, but i saw poor tackling. Too much hitting and not enough wrapping up. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, jager said:

It looked nice, but i saw poor tackling. Too much hitting and not enough wrapping up. 

Good running backs create poor tackling.  I wouldn't be too critical of the defense at this stage but I do agree, room for improvement.  

20 minutes ago, jager said:

Don't know the circumstances, like being told to not take the ball carrier down even though he goes down at the end, but I agree it's a funny video to use as hype with a bunch of issues. Maybe an intern is running the hype train, or maybe most fans just don't give a crap.

2 hours ago, Pedro G said:

He has a lot of work ahead to break into the top three. It looks like it’s Grant, Yant and Johnson’s to lose for now. 

Well ... of course it is for now because Ervin isn't even practicing. 

He beat out two of those three last year.  Obviously he needs to be healthy but I don't think it would be a shock for him to do it again.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I could have sworn that R.Johnson and Yant emerged last year as the featured running backs we'd been waiting for, only to disappear in the gameplan or left on the sidelines.

Running backs need reps and rhythm and that's on the offensive coaching staff. 

Johnson got hurt.  Yant couldn't keep focused.  I don't think that's on the offensive coaching staff.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Johnson got hurt.  Yant couldn't keep focused.  I don't think that's on the offensive coaching staff.

Yes and no. R. Johnson probably started the year as the 4th, maybe even 5th guy and ended up RB1.  I think most would say Stepp started the year as CO-#1 with Ervin and was nowhere to be found at the beginning of the year.  Obviously Ervin went down and Yant had some issues that factored into the RB rotation but overall I still think they can do a better job of identifying their best guy(s) before the season. Hopefully somebody is good enough to emerge as the clear cut best guy but wouldn't be surprised to see RB by committee again.