Running Back Room

TGHusker

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

That's a different argument from what I previously responded to.

It's possible and likely probably that it's at least partially due to coaching.  It's also due to injuries.  And it's also due to attitude on the player's part.

Not totally on coaching by any stretch.

I guess you could call it a stretch of bad luck, but since the coaching staff has had 4+ years to recruit and develop running backs, then the poor attitude, practice habits, and inconsistent performance still reflects on them. 

I was one of those fans who was thrilled to watch Yant's breakout game against Northwestern. I want to think the coaches had a good reason for his subsequent demotion, but given all the RBs that have passed through Frost's system without distinction, I gotta wonder at some point. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Was held a good RB coach?  It doesn’t look like he accomplished much but he did help recruit some good players.  His résumé was poor and he took a low rent job after he left Lincoln - says he was not attractive to other places but ??   He was inexpensive for a reason maybe. 

And this really makes me question Frost’s judgment. I suspect Held would still be here if not for TA

• Plus1 1
On 3/16/2022 at 4:55 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not going to sit here and support Held. I don’t think he was getting it done. 

But, to say he was developed by the other staff was a stretch.  He didn’t do much until this staff got here. 

So you would attribute his success to his 1 year with Held and not the vast majority of his career with another RB coach? Why in the following years did we not see a back come close to Ozigbo then? He also was what? 3rd on the depth chart to start the year? Held didnt even think he was worthy. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So you would attribute his success to his 1 year with Held and not the vast majority of his career with another RB coach? Why in the following years did we not see a back come close to Ozigbo then? He also was what? 3rd on the depth chart to start the year? Held didnt even think he was worthy. 

I don't know.  Why did he all of a sudden have success with this staff and not the previous one?

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know.  Why did he all of a sudden have success with this staff and not the previous one?

He played all 4 years while at NU, True Fresh 200 yds, Soph 400 yds, Jr 500 yds and Senior 1000 yds. He was part of a RB stable those first 3 years and split tons of carries with other backs. He was our leading rusher his JR year and started once Tre Bryant was hurt. Recorded 3 straight 100 yds game to open B1G play that year as well. It wasn't like he was a nobody who was 5th on the depth chart until Held discovered him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
15 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

He played all 4 years while at NU, True Fresh 200 yds, Soph 400 yds, Jr 500 yds and Senior 1000 yds. He was part of a RB stable those first 3 years and split tons of carries with other backs. He was our leading rusher his JR year and started once Tre Bryant was hurt. Recorded 3 straight 100 yds game to open B1G play that year as well. It wasn't like he was a nobody who was 5th on the depth chart until Held discovered him. 

Cool. 

look. Both of us are happy that Held was replaced. 

I remember fans being very pleasantly surprised with him after Held got here. 

Now we should both be encouraged that Held was replaced. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Cool. 

look. Both of us are happy that Held was replaced. 

I remember fans being very pleasantly surprised with him after Held got here. 

Now we should both be encouraged that Held was replaced. 

We are both happy and it doesnt really matter in the end who was responsible for Ozigbos 1000 yd season. I just dont think Held deserves the credit.