Running Back Room

TGHusker

On 3/18/2022 at 4:50 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know.  Why did he all of a sudden have success with this staff and not the previous one?

To hear Ozigbo himself tell it, he was about to enter his senior year, knew it was his last chance at a football career, and trained like a madman, adding significant muscle, speed, and focus. 

Ozigbo probably wouldn't have gotten those 1,000 yards if Frost's hand-picked RB Greg Bell hadn't quit the team in a huff. But Oz most definitely earned his carries. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

To hear Ozigbo himself tell it, he was about to enter his senior year, knew it was his last chance at a football career, and trained like a madman, adding significant muscle, speed, and focus. 

Ozigbo probably wouldn't have gotten those 1,000 yards if Frost's hand-picked RB Greg Bell hadn't quit the team in a huff. But Oz most definitely earned his carries. 

I think this is the key.  I know I'll get blasted, by IMO, OZ was an after thought entering the 2018 season.  It was his hard work and attitude that allowed him to play  It was Bell NOT PANNING OUT that gave Oz the nod.  Oz had worked himself into a position to succeed by his effort.  not the coaches development.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

I think this is the key.  I know I'll get blasted, by IMO, OZ was an after thought entering the 2018 season.  It was his hard work and attitude that allowed him to play  It was Bell NOT PANNING OUT that gave Oz the nod.  Oz had worked himself into a position to succeed by his effort.  not the coaches development.

This is true. But I think Bell's ceiling was higher than Ozigbo's. His speed and big play ability was pretty dang good

• Plus1 1

A lot of spilled milk the past four years with mistakes all around no doubt.  Time to focus on the future and the future is 2022.  Frost is the HC and ultimately he is responsible for the results.  It’s his job to assemble the staff and players and coach the team to wins.  He’s had plenty of time and resources and support to be successful.  Dam few other coaches would have been given any more time and patience than he has.  

He has the staff, players, support and fans to do well.  This is 100% his team.  He knows football (or should) with his background from play and coaching at all levels.  He’s got 7 years now as a HC and training under some of the very best of all time.   

This fall will be telling imo.  If he falls yet again, it is hard to imagine the reason to continue into 2023.  I believe that Trev and those above believe Frost can figure it out finally.  If he accepts the advice and lets his experienced staff work and make meaningful changes, the wins will come.   The team has been competitive in most games but seems to lack the confidence and determination to finish games.  Scott was a tough confident player that seems to coach the same way.  But, somehow, some way, that feeling doesn’t transfer into his teams.  Whipple and Joseph both exude these traits - a big change from before imo.  I expect better from Applewhite and Raiola as well.  

The defense has shown the capabilities and better play can come if the offense can be trusted to score and get first downs.  All signs suggest special teams will make a big jump if confidence is bolstered there as well.   This team should win 8 and maybe more if they play confidently.  

• Oh Yeah! 2
4 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

This is true. But I think Bell's ceiling was higher than Ozigbo's. His speed and big play ability was pretty dang good

I don’t disagree with Bells potential or ceiling.  I wonder would a different RB coach have made a difference.  Same with Washington.  I’m looking forward to seeing how we look this season.  With what little we are hearing, it sounds promising (other than Fidone).  

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

"Hand picked" is a ridiculous term for Bell.  Frost was trying to assemble his first recruiting class at the time.

Martinez was "hand picked".  No other recruit that first class was.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, TheSker said:

"Hand picked" is a ridiculous term for Bell.  Frost was trying to assemble his first recruiting class at the time.

Martinez was "hand picked".  No other recruit that first class was.

Does "hand-picked" make it seem too intimate for you?

In 2018, Frost was inheriting Devine Ozigbo and throwing together his first recruiting class, as you mention. In a process that in no way involved his hands, Frost approved grabbing proven JC player Greg Bell out of Arizona, expecting him to make immediate impact as he had already penciled in Ozigbo as third or fourth on the depth chart, quite possibly using his hands when he filled out that chart. 

If you're suggesting Frost left these pesky personnel decisions to underlings so he wouldn't be accused of hand-picking, well there you go. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Does "hand-picked" make it seem too intimate for you?

In 2018, Frost was inheriting Devine Ozigbo and throwing together his first recruiting class, as you mention. In a process that in no way involved his hands, Frost approved grabbing proven JC player Greg Bell out of Arizona, expecting him to make immediate impact as he had already penciled in Ozigbo as third or fourth on the depth chart, quite possibly using his hands when he filled out that chart. 

If you're suggesting Frost left these pesky personnel decisions to underlings so he wouldn't be accused of hand-picking, well there you go. 

With this line of thinking, every recruit that a coach brings in is "hand picked".

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

With this line of thinking, every recruit that a coach brings in is "hand picked".

Of course it is. That's why we judge coaches by the recruits they bring in. The very same guys we credit for a strong recruiting class. 

I think it's even more the case with portal and JC transfers who are generally targeted for immediate contributions. 

We could change the word "hand-picked" to "recruited" if it makes you guys happier, but if the question is about the recruiting and development of RB talent under Frost (and it is) what would that really change? 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

If every recruit that a coach brings in is hand picked, then it makes it unnecessary and a waste of time to say it, and your original use of the phrase was obviously meant to be a specific distinction.

Yes. Scott Frost inherited Ozigbo. He chose Greg Bell. His subsequent choices haven't been better than Ozigbo.

If you think I'm criticizing Scott Frost and staff for poor RB recruiting and development over the last four years, you're right. It's why I chose the words I did.

Not sure what you guys are arguing at this point. 

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yes. Scott Frost inherited Ozigbo. He chose Greg Bell. His subsequent choices haven't been better than Ozigbo.

If you think I'm criticizing Scott Frost and staff for poor RB recruiting and development over the last four years, you're right. It's why I chose the words I did.

Not sure what you guys are arguing at this point. 

Completely agree. I know Frost and Held liked their small scat backs, but especially in this conference, I'd prefer a big body RB like Grant appears to be, with the ability to use power but also be agile. Time will tell, but it appears Yant is putting in work, Grant looks good in limited highlights, and Rahmir actually grew on me a lot with his play last year, and he's a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield.

With that said, the success of the RB position really hinges on the OL performance this fall. Fingers crossed there.

• Plus1 3
59 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Completely agree. I know Frost and Held liked their small scat backs, but especially in this conference, I'd prefer a big body RB like Grant appears to be, with the ability to use power but also be agile. Time will tell, but it appears Yant is putting in work, Grant looks good in limited highlights, and Rahmir actually grew on me a lot with his play last year, and he's a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield.

With that said, the success of the RB position really hinges on the OL performance this fall. Fingers crossed there.

Very good take. I couldn't not agree more.

• Thanks 1