Running Back Room

TGHusker

Rahmir has made a ton of progress, and I'd be comfortable with him being the top dog. The thing I'm waiting to see from him is that track speed - he definitely has it, but it hasn't shown up yet. Quickness, toughness, hands all showed up last year but there were a few times he just needed to shift to another gear and it didn't quite happen.

Rahmir is hauling at the 17:00 mark when he catches that swing pass from 2AM.  I get where you're coming from but I think Johnson's running style is such that he 'glides' and it's hard to tell how fast he is versus someone like Jamaal Charles who always looked like he was shot out of a cannon.

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Rahmir is hauling at the 17:00 mark when he catches that swing pass from 2AM.  I get where you're coming from but I think Johnson's running style is such that he 'glides' and it's hard to tell how fast he is versus someone like Jamaal Charles who always looked like he was shot out of a cannon.

True, I just didn't see that consistently or at all in the run game. The OL bears a lot of the responsibility for sure, but if you told me when he signed that his longest run through 141 career carries would be 29 yards I wouldn't have believed you. There's more there, and I'm optimistic he can get to it - it's probably more decisiveness than any lack of ability.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

True, I just didn't see that consistently or at all in the run game. The OL bears a lot of the responsibility for sure, but if you told me when he signed that his longest run through 141 career carries would be 29 yards I wouldn't have believed you. There's more there, and I'm optimistic he can get to it - it's probably more decisiveness than any lack of ability.

Agree with you there.  I thought for sure he would've busted a couple long runs by now.

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Oh....we could have won that game.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as i want to say that Rahmir Johnson is going to be the starter i just feel that he is more of a scat back then an every down back or complete back. For me i think Grant is the starter. Rahmir has put weight on but i don't think he has the body to endure a big 10 season. Yes get a few plays in but certainly if he is your number 1 then wouldn't you use him as a blocker and i don't see that happening.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Rahmir's talent seems to be catching the ball out of the back field.  I'm not sure I see him developing into an every down back.

My biggest complaint with most of the backs under coach Frost is their lack of vision (yes its hard at times to see holes when getting hit in the backfield).  Deciding to bounce outside when there was a cutback lane, running into the back of linemen when there is a hole 3 ft to the right or left etc.  I think it was Rahmir who mentioned coach Applewhite implementing more drills to help with their vision.  I think if true that could really help the room that doesn't have a back that is just a better athlete than everyone on the field.  

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Decked said:

I still think Rahmir Johnson is and will continue to be your RB. sprinkled in with Yant/Grant/maybe Allen. 

For some reason I just don’t think he’ll be the #1 guy but I that’s just based of a hunch more than anything. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was the 3rd down back though since he’s probably the best at catching the ball and pass pro. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Rahmir's talent seems to be catching the ball out of the back field.  I'm not sure I see him developing into an every down back.

Also hard to tell when you have a terrible running backs coach & horrible OL. Rahmir could make a massive step if some of that got cleared up and he added some mass. 

• Plus1 2
On 7/26/2022 at 9:03 AM, Farms said:

I didn't listen to it but apparently on his radio show Damon Benning said that he doesn't think Grant will be RB1.  I think he has previously indicated he thinks Ajay Allen will be more ready to play day 1 than Grant which is interesting.  This should be one of the biggest position battles of fall camp.

Clearly Grant will not be day 1 RB.  But for Damon Benning to suggest Allen will be more ready to play is quite the "hot take sports opinion".  

The first 3 games will be guys getting their fair amount of touches.  IMHO the cream rises to the top.  

I agree with those that think Rhamir will be more dangerous in the passing game, more often then running between the tackles.  Which is fine.

I would also guess that Ervin, Yant and Grant will battle it out for the #2 and #3 spots (Rhamir #1, for now).  

There is also good reason to get Allen some touches this year; as well as the #4th back in the group.

You never know how things will shake up by the 8th game vs Minnesota, and the home stretch.  We are in a great position here, with Applewhite.

For the record - Rhamir is slightly bigger than Ameer was as Junior (and Soph).