Running Back Room

TGHusker

On 7/27/2022 at 6:50 PM, admo said:

Clearly Grant will not be day 1 RB.  But for Damon Benning to suggest Allen will be more ready to play is quite the "hot take sports opinion".  

The first 3 games will be guys getting their fair amount of touches.  IMHO the cream rises to the top.  

I agree with those that think Rhamir will be more dangerous in the passing game, more often then running between the tackles.  Which is fine.

I would also guess that Ervin, Yant and Grant will battle it out for the #2 and #3 spots (Rhamir #1, for now).  

There is also good reason to get Allen some touches this year; as well as the #4th back in the group.

You never know how things will shake up by the 8th game vs Minnesota, and the home stretch.  We are in a great position here, with Applewhite.

For the record - Rhamir is slightly bigger than Ameer was as Junior (and Soph).

I got to think Allen and Grant will be fighting it our for # 1.   I think we finally have enough quality RBs to be real good in the running game if the OL performs better.  

But what a log jam of talent - makes me wonder who will transfer out by the end of the year  - so many talented guys and not enough touches.  

Rhamir, Allen, Grant, Yant, Erin and we have Johnson  the new recruit from Minnesota also in the mix - perhaps he'll get touches on special teams. 

15 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

Rhamir sounds like he's in position to get a lot of snaps. Whip really likes his receiving abilities.

I can't be the only husker fan that believes that Rahmir is a scat back and not a number 1 running back bc of his smaller body type. I have never questioned if he wasn't a good receiver as a running back i question if he can handle the responsibility of blocking a bigger de or lb or has enough size to get that extra yard.  Yes i know Nebraska has running backs in case they need to like Yant but overall i feel Grant is the most complete running back in that room rn.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I can't be the only husker fan that believes that Rahmir is a scat back and not a number 1 running back bc of his smaller body type. I have never questioned if he wasn't a good receiver as a running back i question if he can handle the responsibility of blocking a bigger de or lb or has enough size to get that extra yard.  Yes i know Nebraska has running backs in case they need to like Yant but overall i feel Grant is the most complete running back in that room rn.

Ameer was a little more compact muscles wise maybe but size doesn't always matter. Rahmir was actually a good blocker last year and can catch the ball very well. Does struggle a tad in between the tackles. I think he starts game 1 based off of experience and trust. 

42 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

Rhamir sounds like he's in position to get a lot of snaps. Whip really likes his receiving abilities.

Yeah, apparently said they're looking to utilize him similar to former Philadelphia Eagle Brian Westbrook, who had six straight years of 70+ targets and 400+ receiving yards (obviously more games in the NFL).  Westbrook led the NFL in yards from scrimmage in 2007.

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Rahmir was our best blocking back last year. That is why you saw him on 3rd down or obvious passing situations. You are correct about his receiving being the best out of our RB room.

I don't know who the best back is but you can be sure Rahmir will be on the field the most out of the running backs because of his utility, and trust/ experience as Big ERN said. Anthony Grant is most likely the #2 back and Yant/Ervin will battle it out for reps as the #3 back. We also do not want to be predictable so rbs need to be able to do it all out of the back field. I also think we will have a clear 1-2 punch and not a lot of musical chairs like we saw last year. This will get the best guys touches and they will get in a rhythm. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Rahmir was our best blocking back last year. That is why you saw him on 3rd down or obvious passing situations. You are correct about his receiving being the best out of our RB room.

I don't know who the best back is but you can be sure Rahmir will be on the field the most out of the running backs because of his utility, and trust/ experience as Big ERN said. Anthony Grant is most likely the #2 back and Yant/Ervin will battle it out for reps as the #3 back. We also do not want to be predictable so rbs need to be able to do it all out of the back field. I also think we will have a clear 1-2 punch and not a lot of musical chairs like we saw last year. This will get the best guys touches and they will get in a rhythm. 

I just remember the 'block' that he got blown up on against Minnesota where he ended up with a concussion.  It was not pretty.

Just now, HuskermanMike said:

I also think we will have a clear 1-2 punch and not a lot of musical chairs like we saw last year. This will get the best guys touches and they will get in a rhythm. 

We pretty much had a 1-2 punch last year.  It wasn't musical chairs.  Only injuries made them shuffle, and Yant coming into fall out of shape.

Ervin and Stepp got most of the work for the first three games until Ervin got hurt in the fourth game.  The it was mostly Rahmir for seven games with Yant having a good game against Northwestern.  Then a mix the last couple of games after Rahmir got hurt.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We pretty much had a 1-2 punch last year.  It wasn't musical chairs.  Only injuries made them shuffle, and Yant coming into fall out of shape.

Ervin and Stepp got most of the work for the first three games until Ervin got hurt in the fourth game.  The it was mostly Rahmir for seven games with Yant having a good game against Northwestern.  Then a mix the last couple of games after Rahmir got hurt.

Looking back it was a little more consistent than I thought. Non conference was a mess - Ervin was sort of the starter but then Stepp got the Fordham game and Morrison was looking like the number 3. Then Rahmir came out of nowhere and it was pretty much him and Yant when available. But the availability of Yant was weird - I understand the game plans probably dictated some things, but he had 4 carries against Michigan and 0 against OSU. Think he was suspended for Wisconsin? It felt like his usage was all over the place, but without being part of the team not sure whether that's totally on him or what. Seems on a better track this year at least. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Looks like I did not remember Rahmir getting hurt. Now, I remember that at Minnesota as I rewatched pat of that game. (Credit to suh_fan93) There was also something with Yant where he refused to come in and so the coaches did not like that. It may have been when Ron Brown took over or right before so that affected his touches some. 

A 1-2 punch of RJ and Anthony Grant with Yant for goal line/short yardage is what I believe will happen. What do you think the rotation will be Mav? 

3 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Looks like I did not remember Rahmir getting hurt. Now, I remember that at Minnesota as I rewatched pat of that game. (Credit to suh_fan93) There was also something with Yant where he refused to come in and so the coaches did not like that. It may have been when Ron Brown took over or right before so that affected his touches some. 

A 1-2 punch of RJ and Anthony Grant with Yant for goal line/short yardage is what I believe will happen. What do you think the rotation will be Mav? 

Maybe.  Maybe not.   I’d say, they’ll want a good pass route running, pass blocker who can get three to five tough yards when the defense plays pass heavy defensively.  Not sure which, if any, fit the bill.  Most seem to have 2 of the 3 but ???   
Whipple will want the guys who know the plays and schemes and reads certainly.  I don’t see an obvious leader so we may once again have a trio of guys rotating.  I’m ok with such IF we truly use them enough.  More RB carries/catches than last couple years BUT keep the swing passes to a couple three a game, unless we throw and block them much better.  A bunch newbie receivers again so - can they block and run after the catch?   

7 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I got to think Allen and Grant will be fighting it our for # 1.   I think we finally have enough quality RBs to be real good in the running game if the OL performs better.  

But what a log jam of talent - makes me wonder who will transfer out by the end of the year  - so many talented guys and not enough touches.  

Rhamir, Allen, Grant, Yant, Erin and we have Johnson  the new recruit from Minnesota also in the mix - perhaps he'll get touches on special teams. 

No disreprect TGH, but I disagree. 

Rhamir clear #1 (for the first 3 games for sure)

Yant #2a

Gabe #2b

Grant #3-2 (depends how the season goes).

I don't think Rhamir stays #1 week to week, all year.  But he will be involved quite a bit.

Ajay Allen is a true freshmen and will be allowed 4 games without losing a redshirt.  I will bet they sprinkle him in to get a taste.

1 hour ago, admo said:

No disreprect TGH, but I disagree. 

Rhamir clear #1 (for the first 3 games for sure)

Yant #2a

Gabe #2b

Grant #3-2 (depends how the season goes).

I don't think Rhamir stays #1 week to week, all year.  But he will be involved quite a bit.

Ajay Allen is a true freshmen and will be allowed 4 games without losing a redshirt.  I will bet they sprinkle him in to get a taste.

I was/am thinking that Allen is so good that you can’t afford to keep him off the field in this the “Save HCSF’s Job Campaign “ year

I hope RJ is/will be as good as you predict but that to me is because the OL has greatly improved. I just don’t see him as an every down back. I know he has speed and desire but I see him more as an outside the tackle runner and pass catcher 

I do think Grant is the real deal and the fact that everyone has to learn the new playbook puts him in immediate discussion 

• Thanks 1