Running Back Room

TGHusker

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I was/am thinking that Allen is so good that you can’t afford to keep him off the field in this the “Save HCSF’s Job Campaign “ year

I hope RJ is/will be as good as you predict but that to me is because the OL has greatly improved. I just don’t see him as an every down back. I know he has speed and desire but I see him more as an outside the tackle runner and pass catcher 

I do think Grant is the real deal and the fact that everyone has to learn the new playbook puts him in immediate discussion 

I'm not predicting anything so much, but what we seen last season, spring, and going into fall.

Rhamir got the ball because he blocked/protected Adrian in the pocket.  Undersized back giving it up against DL/LB bigger than him.  Plus he has good hands, some twitch, and quickness.

Last year it was "Don't want to block?  You won't get the rock"

It will be interesting to see how Gabe Ervin does.  I think Yant has taken leaps and bounds to be a #2 guy.

Grant has established himself from where he came from, and had a good showing in spring.  So it will be interesting to see him get in a groove.

Freshmen, such as Allen can contribute.  But realistically far down with mental toughness and physicality.  Most freshmen (like Mo Washington for example) see the DL coming and they want to immediately run to the sidelines and avoid contact/getting smacked hard.

5 minutes ago, admo said:

I'm not predicting anything so much, but what we seen last season, spring, and going into fall.

Rhamir got the ball because he blocked/protected Adrian in the pocket.  Undersized back giving it up against DL/LB bigger than him.  Plus he has good hands, some twitch, and quickness.

Last year it was "Don't want to block?  You won't get the rock"

It will be interesting to see how Gabe Ervin does.  I think Yant has taken leaps and bounds to be a #2 guy.

Grant has established himself from where he came from, and had a good showing in spring.  So it will be interesting to see him get in a groove.

Freshmen, such as Allen can contribute.  But realistically far down with mental toughness and physicality.  Most freshmen (like Mo Washington for example) see the DL coming and they want to immediately run to the sidelines and avoid contact/getting smacked hard.

Ahman Green didn't do that when he was a freshman. 

3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

To be fair most of the time he was already headed toward the sideline.  

Or the end zone

But @admo  is correct - there is a mental side of the game that has to be taken into consideration.  Everyone is much faster, bigger, and the game is more complex than the High School game.  Ervin did start last year as a true freshman - that may have been a reflection of how poorly our RB room was being managed in prior years.  Due to injury, Ervin couldn't prove himself as a full time freshman starter. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Or the end zone

But @admo  is correct - there is a mental side of the game that has to be taken into consideration.  Everyone is much faster, bigger, and the game is more complex than the High School game.  Ervin did start last year as a true freshman - that may have been a reflection of how poorly our RB room was being managed in prior years.  Due to injury, Ervin couldn't prove himself as a full time freshman starter. 

I believe Ervin got the nod last year because he could actually pass block.  I think if he is fully recovered from the knee injury he will be in the mix 

11 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I believe Ervin got the nod last year because he could actually pass block.  I think if he is fully recovered from the knee injury he will be in the mix 

That is a skill that will be needed in Whip's offense.  Back in the day, we looked for WRs who could block for RBs in the option game.  Now we look for RBs who can block to protect the passing game. 

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

That is a skill that will be needed in Whip's offense.  Back in the day, we looked for WRs who could block for RBs in the option game.  Now we look for RBs who can block to protect the passing game. 

Literally, everyone on the field (except maybe the QB) needs to be good blockers.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

With all this blocking and pass catching going on it makes me wonder how many carries there will be to go around for all these runningbacks.

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What does that have to do with (potentially) not having enough carries to go around?

There will be plenty of carries to go around just who is going to put themselves in that position to get the carries. There is enough running backs in that room that you can say they realize what is at stake this year. No f****** around to much is at stake for the program.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

What does that have to do with (potentially) not having enough carries to go around?

I'll take an offensive scheme that highlights our best 1-2 backs, which could be more receiver-heavy, than a system where the QB is ad-hoc'ing almost every play.  The former, we hope, yields more wins.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Literally, everyone on the field (except maybe the QB) needs to be good blockers.

I think you are correct. With that said, I remember Frost blocking. He laid a hard one on a Texas Aggie defender in the Big 12 Championship. He literally leveled the guy. 

• Plus1 2