Running Back Room

TGHusker

I'm fairly certain Yant is #2, change up back.

I'm 100% sure they go with Rhamir #1 the first 3 weeks.

I believe Gabe Ervin will get every opportunity to supplant Rhamir.  He can block too, is bigger, and a Frost kid.

I believe Rhamir will have a different role in the B1G. Some runs, but mostly swing passes in the open (Warrick Dunn Tampa Bay).  

Will be interesting to see how Grant does.  He's pretty strong runner and has good instincts.  He could be a #1 down the stretch.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, admo said:

I believe Gabe Ervin will get every opportunity to supplant Rhamir.  He can block too, is bigger, and a Frost kid.

I believe Rhamir will have a different role in the B1G. Some runs, but mostly swing passes in the open (Warrick Dunn Tampa Bay).  

Will be interesting to see how Grant does.  He's pretty strong runner and has good instincts.  He could be a #1 down the stretch.

I could see them inserting Yant as a "fb" on passing situations.  They will run  the triangle routed Whip likes 

I enjoyed the past few thoughts here on how these RB's could "tongue and groove" ... yet, with my view of the OL, I don't see the consistencies and germination coming as I'd like.  We will have a struggle as we get further down the road and the B1G wears on us.  The quality and depth just isn't there yet.  Certainly some good potential and the new OL Coach and focus will help for sure.  It does raise the eye brow of curiosity and excitement for sure.

13 minutes ago, admo said:

I think Yant will be farther down the list than most people think.  He'll get some carries in situations, but he's not as complete of a back as others.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I do like Rahmir in passing situations.  If Yant can show that he can handle more carries and not turn the ball over I think he could have a really good season because the big man can plant a foot as well as drag defenders with him.

I'm not as impressed with Grant as a lot of others but that is no knock on him either.  We're really going to have to wait and see how he and Allen respond when given there opportunity.  At least we have experience returning in Johnson and Yant. 

I think the real story also when talking about our running backs will be of course the offensive line.  

Yant was pretty raw last year in a lot of aspects. Needed a lot of toolage. Attitude adjustment and weight loss too. Biggest thing for him is getting him to be coached up and be consistent and put in more effort. First thing he could do is learn or at least try to not stand straight up while running the football. If he could play behind his pads he would be able to utilize his size and power better. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

I can understand why a lot of husker fans believe that Rahmir is the true number 1 back coming into this season but if SF believed that then why bring 3 other running backs into the program??? Yes i understand he has certainly skills but it was his for the taking last year and we all know how that turned out. It was running back by committee with no rhythm or go to guy. If Grant doesn't start the first game then that's understandable but imho he will surpass him he is just too good!!!!!

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I can understand why a lot of husker fans believe that Rahmir is the true number 1 back coming into this season but if SF believed that then why bring 3 other running backs into the program??? Yes i understand he has certainly skills but it was his for the taking last year and we all know how that turned out. It was running back by committee with no rhythm or go to guy. If Grant doesn't start the first game then that's understandable but imho he will surpass him he is just too good!!!!!

Because by the end of the year last year we had Brody Belt playing significant snaps at RB. You need depth, and I don't think anyone is arguing that Rahmir will be our greatest running back of all time or anything. I think he can produce as the #1, but you need depth and competition. Trying to recruit over guys doesn't mean they're bad, that's just how you get better. 

I really have no idea how it's going to shake out though, I tend to pick the wrong horse in these kinds of things so I'm trying to not even speculate. Aaron Green and Braylon Heard were going to be an incredible duo, and that 3-star kid from Alabama was just a depth guy who wouldn't be able to get on the field. 

• Plus1 2

I wasn't saying that Nebraska brought in more competition bc Rahmir is bad as a running back. I tend to believe that the reason why they brought in more is bc they didn't believe they had take a bull by the horns rb in that room. Not saying Rahmir can't just saying he wasn't last year. I went back to watch Rahmir highlights and the thing that sticks out to me he has speed but no wiggle no shake and bake for his statue. A very straight up hill runner. I think the rb's that they brought in have some wiggle to them especially Allan but Grant as well, like you saw in the spring game.

8 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I can understand why a lot of husker fans believe that Rahmir is the true number 1 back coming into this season but if SF believed that then why bring 3 other running backs into the program???

I can't help but wonder if they've just been snake-bitten so badly at that position that they wanted to make sure they were loaded up.  Between injuries and guys transferring out, they have just been scrambling since they got here.

I'm not sure they really planned on taking three.  But when they had an in on Ajay Allen they thought he was too good to pass up.  And at that time you couldn't be certain that Ervin would be back to full go.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I can't help but wonder if they've just been snake-bitten so badly at that position that they wanted to make sure they were loaded up.  Between injuries and guys transferring out, they have just been scrambling since they got here.

I'm not sure they really planned on taking three.  But when they had an in on Ajay Allen they thought he was too good to pass up.  And at that time you couldn't be certain that Ervin would be back to full go.

You bring up very good points Mavric. Hope that Allan makes a contribution and sticks around and doesn't transfer out that seems to be the trend with super highly ranked recruit's that come here.

None of last year's RBs have proven a goddamn thing. I mean for god's sake, none of them even cracked the 500 yard mark last year! :facepalm:  If every one of them had transferred out at the end of last year, I wouldn't have batted an eye.

With that said, Held should have been fired the day we started Wandale at RB, and Austin along with him. Maybe the new coaches can squeeze something more out of them, but as of now, I consider them unproven at best.

• Thanks 2
Just now, Toe said:

None of the RBs have proven a goddamn thing. I mean for god's sake, none of them even cracked the 500 yard mark last year! :facepalm:  If every one of them had transferred out at the end of last year, I wouldn't have batted an eye.

With that said, Held should have been fired the day we started Wandale at RB, and Austin along with him. Maybe the new coaches can squeeze something more out of them, but as of now, I consider them unproven at best.

That seems overly-harsh to me.

Setting aside that they need at least a little help from the offensive line, I don't think any of them got enough opportunities to get there.  Johnson missed your mark by all of five yards, but he basically did that in 6.5 games, bookended by the injury to Ervin and his own injury.  Rahmir was on an 800-yard pace while he was the lead back.  Not All-American material but nothing to sneeze at. 

And the workhorse running back barely exists anymore.  It's pretty much a committee all but a few places.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

@Mavric There were two hundred players at the FBS level who accumulated at least 500 rushing yards last season. In what universe is it even remotely close to acceptable for the Huskers to fail to produce an RB who reaches that lowly mark?

You wanna talk injuries and RB by committee, and say Rahmir maybe kinda-sorta coulda-shoulda been an 800 yarder? That still wouldn't have even cracked the top 75! Even that hypothetical should be considered a dogs#!t performance.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

When you think about, DONU historically has been best known for its powerful, consistent O line (the Pipeline) and it’s almost uninterrupted line of excellent I backs.  The two areas of the team that have just dropped off the national map in the past 7 years.  Yes, the success of each is inextricably tied to the other of course.  

But, the pursuit of the elusive supreme passing game has contributed to the lack of focus and development of both too!  Essentially NU hasn’t been exceptionally good at anything offensively for a decade(s).  Some individual talents intermittently but nothing to build or rebuild or establish a real identity.   We’re mediocre + or - but nothing approaching elite.  That has to change, somehow.