Running Back Room

TGHusker

38 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Mavric There were two hundred players at the FBS level who accumulated at least 500 rushing yards last season. In what universe is it even remotely close to acceptable for the Huskers to fail to produce an RB who reaches that lowly mark?

You wanna talk injuries and RB by committee, and say Rahmir maybe kinda-sorta coulda-shoulda been an 800 yarder? That still wouldn't have even cracked the top 75! Even that hypothetical should be considered a dogs#!t performance.

My point is I think it was more about lack of opportunity than lack of skill.  Between the offensive line struggling and injuries, there wasn't anyone who got as many chances as a lot of other guys did.  Definitely not quality chances.

Rahmir was #167 in the country in attempts.  So it's not that different from where he was in yards.

4 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

When you think about, DONU historically has been best known for its powerful, consistent O line (the Pipeline) and it’s almost uninterrupted line of excellent I backs.  The two areas of the team that have just dropped off the national map in the past 7 years.  Yes, the success of each is inextricably tied to the other of course.  

But, the pursuit of the elusive supreme passing game has contributed to the lack of focus and development of both too!  Essentially NU hasn’t been exceptionally good at anything offensively for a decade(s).  Some individual talents intermittently but nothing to build or rebuild or establish a real identity.   We’re mediocre + or - but nothing approaching elite.  That has to change, somehow. 

Yeah by not having a running back by committee.

I went back to last year there were only 53 running backs that broke 1,000 yards. Rahmir was ranked as the 203 running back for yardage. His avg was 4.4 yards. I know it takes 2 to tango meaning both him and the o-line needed to do a better job. But Imo if he wasn't a straight line down hill running back he would have gotten more yards last year just by making the first man miss. No wiggle like Wandale!!!!!

9 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Sounds like as of now, Rahmir is on each of the core 4 special teams units which is very interesting for a RB. Ervin as well.

Man, Rahmir, Ervin and Allen all playing on special teams.  Only 1 out of 3 is a starter.  We still must not care about special teams.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Applewhite said Gabe Ervin Jr. had returned “extremely well” after missing the spring while recovering from a knee injury.  “It’s been like he practiced all spring,” Applewhite said.

Applewhite said if a team had 120 kids with Rahmir Johnson’s attitude, it would be in great shape.

On3

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Ervin said the offensive line was “waaay better” this season than last year, and the new offensive coaching staff was “night and day” compared to before.

818k1CLbUbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No word on what the order was but Grant and Ervin listed as the RBs that looked good during the scrimmage today.

Running game said to be good overall.

Where's Rahmir at? I know the first game is coming up but i hear or see Grant in the lead up highlights. I believe Grant is the real deal  just hope his blocking is as good as his running. 

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

No word on what the order was but Grant and Ervin listed as the RBs that looked good during the scrimmage today.

Running game said to be good overall.

Yeah, you can almost feel it with those two guys being the top dawgs. 

Because I Wasn't sure if Applewhite would recognize what Rhamir's true role and value is within the offense, or just put him at #1 back automatically...... because he started several games last year. But also understanding the Huskers need a few dawgs at the top to get it done.  If that makes sense.

Got to say I am very impressed with our new RB coach.