Running Back Room

TGHusker

18 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Let's let Grant do this over a full season before we put him above Ameer, Rex, Helu, and others.

I understand where you are coming from in the sense you want to see Grant's full body of work(how many yards he is going to gain, td's scored). But to me regardless if he doesn't gain 1000 yards this season that doesn't define him as a runner. Ameer was tiny but quick but lacked top end speed. Rex was Mr. consistent, not overall great at one particular thing but productive, Helu I would say not shifty just a very straight line runner. Now on to Grant he breaks arm tackles like he isn't even touched. He consistently makes people miss in the open field and has top end speed not to get caught. I will say if injuries don't slow him down he will be drafted to the nfl regardless on how his production is. His production will come into play on how high he gets drafted imo. But we are very fortunate to have him as a running back. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand where you are coming from in the sense you want to see Grant's full body of work(how many yards he is going to gain, td's scored). But to me regardless if he doesn't gain 1000 yards this season that doesn't define him as a runner. Ameer was tiny but quick but lacked top end speed. Rex was Mr. consistent, not overall great at one particular thing but productive, Helu I would say not shifty just a very straight line runner. Now on to Grant he breaks arm tackles like he isn't even touched. He consistently makes people miss in the open field and has top end speed not to get caught. I will say if injuries don't slow him down he will be drafted to the nfl regardless on how his production is. His production will come into play on how high he gets drafted imo. But we are very fortunate to have him as a running back. 

Ameer Abdullah was a heisman candidate at one point. And a second round draft pick. Grant has played two games against two bad schools. One of them an FCS school. Pump the breaks. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
2 minutes ago, Decked said:

Ameer Abdullah was a heisman candidate at one point. And a second round draft pick. Grant has played two games against two bad schools. One of them an FCS school. Pump the breaks. 

Im not taking anything away from Ameer or Rex. Im just saying to me Grant is a complete running back. Yes he has only played 2 games but he consistently has made plays for himself. That's what good/great running backs do!!! He wasn't the top juco running back just bc and yes I know this isn't juco but if you are a top notch juco player you can play anywhere. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Also want to say, I get the hype. since Ziggy graduated and maybe even before, our backs have struggled at time to even take what the o-line and opposing defense gave them as far as yardage goes. I think this is the first time in a long time we've had a back that can seem to make something from nothing - Ameer/ Rex being the last who could do that previously. 

He does dance in the backfield, a bit much trying to make plays, he was able to turn it into positives against North Dakota. But I worry his efforts will result in much more frequent tackles for a loss against better competition. You hate to coach a guy out of his instincts to make plays (I think this is where coaching screwed up Martinez) but at the same time there is some risk/reward evaluation that needs to be done. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Also want to say, I get the hype. since Ziggy graduated and maybe even before, our backs have struggled at time to even take what the o-line and opposing defense gave them as far as yardage goes. I think this is the first time in a long time we've had a back that can seem to make something from nothing - Ameer/ Rex being the last who could do that previously. 

He does dance in the backfield, a bit much trying to make plays, he was able to turn it into positives against North Dakota. But I worry his efforts will result in much more frequent tackles for a loss against better competition. You hate to coach a guy out of his instincts to make plays (I think this is where coaching screwed up Martinez) but at the same time there is some risk/reward evaluation that needs to be done. 

Dancing in the backfield also let’s some of the wash pass and opens up holes in a zone blocking scheme. How many times over the last few years have we seen the RB just plow right into the back of the OL and gain nothing. He has some patience to be able to pick out the hole and get through it like no back has done since Ameer. 

• Plus1 1

Geesh, some pretty hi-low praise and hesitation for Grant.  Just like HCSF said about it - don't talk about it (blah blah blah, faults the media).

If people are excited that he has shown steady improvements from what they noticed, that's great.

If people say pump the brakes, he's not Ameer, it's only 2 games, and that's fine too. 

I think he's a dawg, has great vision/anticipation, stop and go, and runs hard like RB1.  I am so glad he earned the top spot, and as the games get more difficult, the production on the field will too.  It's all up to him and the OL.

8 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Ameer was tiny but quick but lacked top end speed. 

8 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Now on to Grant he breaks arm tackles like he isn't even touched. He consistently makes people miss in the open field and has top end speed not to get caught.

I would like to submit the following exhibits, if it pleases the court, to show Ameer doing all of the things you've just praised Grant for (links are timestamped):

• Oh Yeah! 1
13 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I would like to submit the following exhibits, if it pleases the court, to show Ameer doing all of the things you've just praised Grant for (links are timestamped):

Not once did I say he wasn't good at all. I just remember he was quick and shifty but lacked top end speed bc he would get caught from behind most of the time. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Not once did I say he wasn't good at all. I just remember he was quick and shifty but lacked top end speed bc he would get caught from behind most of the time. 

And had a fast, dangerous running weapon (Taylor Martinez) to take the pressure off of him in the ground game.  

And had guys to look up to and learn from - Helu and Burkhead.

Not saying AA wasn't a really good back, but he did have some major help being successful throughout his career.  Give credit to those 3 for sure which benefited AA.  Nothing wrong with admitting that.

9 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Not once did I say he wasn't good at all. I just remember he was quick and shifty, broke arm tackles like he wasn't even touched, and consistently made people miss in the open field and had top end speed not to get caught at least some of the time with video evidence but lacked top end speed bc he would get caught from behind most of the time. 

Fixed it for you :P

• Plus1 1