Running Back Room

TGHusker

• 2 weeks later...

Because he doesn't get those gaping holes, Grant is tremendous at being patient and shifty to get yards.  Might be my favorite back that I enjoy watching in a long time.  He runs different, not sure how I would explain it.  With all due respect to Rex and Ameer, it almost seems like he runs with a little bit of both of their hardness, vision and determination.  Whatever Grant has been doing, it has been a breath of fresh air.  Love it.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, admo said:

Because he doesn't get those gaping holes, Grant is tremendous at being patient and shifty to get yards.  Might be my favorite back that I enjoy watching in a long time.  He runs different, not sure how I would explain it.  With all due respect to Rex and Ameer, it almost seems like he runs with a little bit of both of their hardness, vision and determination.  Whatever Grant has been doing, it has been a breath of fresh air.  Love it.

Previous years backs didn’t have the patience that Grant has so they’d run up the back ends of the oline. The oline this year has been horrendous in pass pro, but they’ve been solid with run blocking. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anthony Grant seemed like a lock to be Nebraska's 1st 1000 yard rusher since 2018.  After averaging 120 yards/game through the first 5 games, he has averaged 48 over the last 3 games.  Grant is at 743 yards with 4 games to go.  He needs to average 65 yards/game to do it, and he will be facing some very stiff rush defenses.

#2 Iowa 2.6 ypc

#6 Michigan 2.8 ypc

#27 Wisconsin 3.4 ypc

#50 Minnesota 3.8 ypc

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Anthony Grant seemed like a lock to be Nebraska's 1st 1000 yard rusher since 2018.  After averaging 120 yards/game through the first 5 games, he has averaged 48 over the last 3 games.  Grant is at 743 yards with 4 games to go.  He needs to average 65 yards/game to do it, and he will be facing some very stiff rush defenses.

#2 Iowa 2.6 ypc

#6 Michigan 2.8 ypc

#27 Wisconsin 3.4 ypc

#50 Minnesota 3.8 ypc

I hope he gets there but the line isn't doing him any favors.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I hope he gets there but the line isn't doing him any favors.  

Maybe not, but even in his limited carries against Illinois Grant was getting decent holes to work with, and while quick outs to Grant count as receiving yards rather than rushing yards, it's good to get him involved that way. 

Illinois was still the #1 defense in the first half when Nebraska was working them for 200+ yards, so we had the talent and play-calling to do something right. But when we fall behind Whipple wants to get it all back in one play (almost worked against Purdue) and Grant just isn't gonna get his touches. 

42 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe not, but even in his limited carries against Illinois Grant was getting decent holes to work with, and while quick outs to Grant count as receiving yards rather than rushing yards, it's good to get him involved that way. 

Illinois was still the #1 defense in the first half when Nebraska was working them for 200+ yards, so we had the talent and play-calling to do something right. But when we fall behind Whipple wants to get it all back in one play (almost worked against Purdue) and Grant just isn't gonna get his touches. 

Grant didn't do himself any favors either, I think he also wants to get it back in one play. Or maybe just wants to maximize every touch because he knows they can dry up. But two examples, first of which I can't find in any videos but it was this play:

0Yf8p2p.png

He could've put his head down and got the first down, but he tried to bounce it and got cut down 2 yards short. Then a poorly executed rollout and we punt. Weirdly on the 10 yard run that got called back he did cut it upfield and had the first down. 

Second example is his fumble - maybe he fumbles anyway, but he had no business trying to reverse field here and put himself in a bad position. This wasn't going to be a huge play or anything, but we've got a hat for a hat here and he just bails. 

Y3qdYdH.png

Again, some of that is probably trying to maximize the touches he gets and time was not on our side. You don't want to totally coach the cutbacks out of him because he's had some really good ones, but these were two bad decisions and they both hurt. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...