Running Back Room

TGHusker

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Even the most talented teams don't "just run whatever they want".  I remember a couple years ago reading an article about Alabama and how Saban changes his offense to the talent he has on the team.  He's had QBs that are pure drop back passers all the way to QBs that are very mobile and athletic.  His offenses changed with what talent he had.

I expect Whipple to do the same.  Yes, his offense will require a good passing QB.  But, if he's more mobile and athletic, there might be some wrinkles put in that take advantage of that.

Well, it’s true that you can’t just run whatever you want from any type of plays but when you can’t mount a legit run game or can’t mount a legit pass game, (Bama can do either every year at a high level because they always have top ten players - period).  

Although Osborne could most of his 25 years.  He ran it until he forced the defense to let him take easy gains throwing.  OU wishbone did the same. LSU threw at will with Burrow.  

as Neb sits today, you’re going to have to whatever plays give you a chance, not what Whip wants. He had better talent, ready to run his scheme at Pit, than he will have in just 35 practices with a new staff and ‘green’ roster.  

Ino, Whipple wants to win games with a strong passing attack and a complementary run game. Like Frost.  But this fall, year 1,  he may have to run 65% and throw to complement the runs because he knows his pass protection won’t hold up to pass as much as he wants.   I just hope the O line is ready to bulldoze in the ground. That’ll set up selective passing.  

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Pitt also had 3 guys with over 500 yards, and ran the ball 37 times per game compared to 40 for us. I like a bell cow back, but I'm much more concerned about the totals and I'm not worried. We might run slightly less than 37 a game - Pitt ran ~7 more plays a game than we did, and it's just hard to get the volume of plays when you're facing Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. But this isn't going to be the air raid offense or anything. 

Totally agree my man

Started looking at the stats for when Whipple first started at Pitt, when Pickett was just some mediocre unknown and not a Heismen-level guy and their roster was geared toward being a run-heavy team.

The first game Pickett threw it 41 times.  The second game he threw it 37 times.  The third game he threw it 51 times.

You get the idea.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The first game Pickett threw it 41 times.

Yeah, he's probably the only OC who ever throws more when they're losing by two scores most of the game and averaging 2.6 yards per rush.

The second game he threw it 37 times.

Funny how you left out the part where they ran it 37 times as well.

The third game he threw it 51 times.

Yep, should definitely have been running it more when they were averaging 1.0 yards per rush.  Who needs that 7.3 yards per pass, anyway.

You get the idea.

Yep, I do.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Started looking at the stats for when Whipple first started at Pitt, when Pickett was just some mediocre unknown and not a Heismen-level guy and their roster was geared toward being a run-heavy team.

The first game Pickett threw it 41 times.  The second game he threw it 37 times.  The third game he threw it 51 times.

You get the idea.

There is a video out there, I will try to find it.  But basically, Kenny Pickett was a marginal QB before last season.  Chance for getting drafted to NFL was slim at best. 

Bottom line, he owes a lot to Coach Whipple. because Whipp got him straight. 

And they ran the ball too at Pitt.  We will be fine.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yep, should definitely have been running it more when they were averaging 1.0 yards per rush.  Who needs that 7.3 yards per pass, anyway.

Is that true?  That's awful.  It's also more clear evidence that Whipple isn't exactly a run-first OC.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yep, I do.

I don't think you do.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

You get the idea.

Pitt also graduated two 1,100 backs when he was hired, they didn’t have a strong RB room his first year.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
44 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Because a 50/50 run pass split is far from the pass happy vision you are trying to paint.  

It also wouldn't indicate he's a run-first coordinator, if 50/50 was his track record (it's not).  Every year at Pitt he passed the ball more than he ran it, to varying degrees.   Which is okay.  I thought that's what people wanted?  I thought it was the only way to win in today's game?  And now it's controversial to talk about?  We're supposed to pretend that he's really a run-first coordinator (for some weird reason) but he just passes more due to extenuating circumstances?  Nonsense!

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

It also wouldn't indicate he's a run-first coordinator, if 50/50 was his track record (it's not).  Every year at Pitt he passed the ball more than he ran it, to varying degrees.   Which is okay.  I thought that's what people wanted?  I thought it was the only way to win in today's game?  And now it's controversial to talk about?  We're supposed to pretend that he's really a run-first coordinator (for some weird reason) but he just passes more due to extenuating circumstances?  Nonsense!

How many strawmen can you argue against in one post?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2