Running Back Room

TGHusker

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

To be fair to Whipple, he inherited a pretty bad offense, which ranked in the bottom 25% in scoring offense in 2017 and 2018. 

Pitt's yards/play ranking

2017 Shawn Watson 94th

2018 Shawn Watson 59th

2019 Mark Whipple 106th

2020 Mark Whipple 96th

2021 Mark Whipple 25th

Interestingly, Frost's yards/play ranking since he started at NU: 20th, 72nd, 72nd, 18th

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

2017 Shawn Watson 94th

2018 Shawn Watson 59th

2019 Mark Whipple 106th

2020 Mark Whipple 96th

2021 Mark Whipple 25th

Interestingly, Frost's yards/play ranking since he started at NU: 20th, 72nd, 72nd, 18th

I'm not going to pretend that I have any knowledge on Pitt football over the past 5-7 years.  I do know that Pat Narduzzi is a defensive-minded coach, who has had middling success.  I have no idea about the talent level on offense for those Pitt teams before 2021.  In 2021, with an experienced QB and talent at skill positions, Whipple was able to have a very good/great offense, which was the basis for Pitt's best season under Narduzzi.  Based on Narduzzi's recent comments, he wasn't sad for Whipple to leave, because Pitt wasn't winning "his way" (lower scoring, defense oriented games, running the ball).

I have no idea if Whipple will be successful here, but I think he has good pieces to make it work here.  With his age, this is probably Whipple's last stop in college football, and who knows how long he is looking to last at NU.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Pitt's points/game ranking

2017 Shawn Watson 101st

2018 Shawn Watson 94th

2019 Mark Whipple 112th

2020 Mark Whipple 58th

2021 Mark Whipple 3rd

Frost's points/game ranking since he started at NU: 58th, 72nd, 101st, 71st

I think we are all aware that Frost's offenses have performed well in moving the ball, but have underachieved in scoring points.  Looking at the stats from 2020 and 2021, it shows that Whipple's scoring offense outperforms the yardage offense.  Sam McKewon has pointed out that Whipple's offenses have done a very good/great job of throwing TD passes inside the red zone.  Any Nebraska fan can tell you that was a weakness under Frost/Martinez.  Was Whipple's success due to a future NFL QB (Pickett) or was it Whipple's offense that made Pickett into a star?  That's the question we are all trying to figure out.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm not going to pretend that I have any knowledge on Pitt football over the past 5-7 years.  I do know that Pat Narduzzi is a defensive-minded coach, who has had middling success.  I have no idea about the talent level on offense for those Pitt teams before 2021.  In 2021, with an experienced QB and talent at skill positions, Whipple was able to have a very good/great offense, which was the basis for Pitt's best season under Narduzzi.  Based on Narduzzi's recent comments, he wasn't sad for Whipple to leave, because Pitt wasn't winning "his way" (lower scoring, defense oriented games, running the ball).

I have no idea if Whipple will be successful here, but I think he has good pieces to make it work here.  With his age, this is probably Whipple's last stop in college football, and who knows how long he is looking to last at NU.

Depending on this season’s success, if this works out with Wipple, and MJ sticks around, I tend to think Mickey would be the next OC. But if this season is a total failure, then who knows what happens all the way around. 

1 hour ago, Farms said:

I wonder how many 3-9 teams have had their offense average 5 ppg more than their defense.

Against FBS teams, it's only about a 1.6 PPG advantage, and pretty much all of that is just from the Northwestern blowout. If you also exclude Northwestern, we scored 22.7 PPG vs giving up 25.8 PPG.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Red Five said:

2017 Shawn Watson 94th

2018 Shawn Watson 59th

2019 Mark Whipple 106th

2020 Mark Whipple 96th

2021 Mark Whipple 25th

A lot of Riley guys chuckleshuffle  Not too shabby

8 hours ago, Red Five said:

Pitt's points/game ranking

2017 Shawn Watson 101st

2018 Shawn Watson 94th

2019 Mark Whipple 112th

2020 Mark Whipple 58th

2021 Mark Whipple 3rd

Frost's points/game ranking since he started at NU: 58th, 72nd, 101st, 71st

More from Riley's guys chuckleshuffle  Even though Riley receives a lot of blame... maybe he deserves some credit?

20 hours ago, The Dude said:

It also wouldn't indicate he's a run-first coordinator, if 50/50 was his track record (it's not).  Every year at Pitt he passed the ball more than he ran it, to varying degrees.   Which is okay.  I thought that's what people wanted?  I thought it was the only way to win in today's game?  And now it's controversial to talk about?  We're supposed to pretend that he's really a run-first coordinator (for some weird reason) but he just passes more due to extenuating circumstances?  Nonsense!

I have yet to see a single post on this board claiming Whipple is a run first coordinator. At most many have pointed out that Whipple is usually around 50-50 or 55-45 pass to run ratio; everyone gets that they will pass more, but most expect him to lean more towards a 50-50 spilt more so this season based on the team makeup. 

• Plus1 2