Running Back Room

TGHusker

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I wouldn't say that exactly, but everything I've heard from camp suggests the running game is currently the strength of the offense.

Part of that has to be contributed to the o-line as well. The o-line has opened up holes and running lanes where the pass blocking and protection from what i heard needs improvement. Overall Nebraska has the pieces in place with the football players they brought in to be great in both area's not necessarily just one. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Makes sense as Johnson finished '21 as the starter, Ervin was the game 1 starter in '21 and if you believe coach speak is back to form and Grant was the top JUCO and by all accounts has been doing well in camp.  As the season wears on, it's hard not to imagine 1 or 2 getting nicked up and missing some time, so I think Yant will see some decent reps as well as some flashes of Allen/Emmet J. --although it would be nice to be able to limit them to 4 and preserve their shirts.

I know this isn't really an option in Frosts system but I wish they would have a package, even if it's just a  goaline package where Yant would come in at Fullback.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
29 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Part of that has to be contributed to the o-line as well. The o-line has opened up holes and running lanes where the pass blocking and protection from what i heard needs improvement.  Overall Nebraska has the pieces in place with the football players they brought in to be great in both area's not necessarily just one. 

Yep I've heard the same from the offensive line.  Looks really good run blocking, pass blocking could still be a liability.

The passing game could take some time to develop, especially if the offensive line is a liability in pass blocking. 

51 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I wouldn't say that exactly, but everything I've heard from camp suggests the running game is currently the strength of the offense.

Over the passing game?????  If that were actually the case which I'm suspect of that we'd be looking at a much less optimistic 2022 season.

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yep I've heard the same from the offensive line.  Looks really good run blocking, pass blocking could still be a liability.

The passing game could take some time to develop, especially if the offensive line is a liability in pass blocking. 

If the o-line needs time to develop with pass protection then slants and screens and draws are a great way to take pressure off the o-line

9 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Over the passing game?????  If that were actually the case which I'm suspect of that we'd be looking at a much less optimistic 2022 season.

There as been a lot more praise coming from the running back room then you can say the wide receivers room bc MJ expects a lot and i would say so does Applewhite. Just the wide receivers have had days to where MJ was looking for more communication, more leaders, more ability to not get pushed off the line by d-backs. Everyone is excited about the passing game bc of who they brought in and the players so i can see where the excitement comes from. Everyone knows in order for the team to succeed the individual groups have to play their parts too.

29 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Believe it or not, there are actually people out there who are not optimistic about the 2022 season regardless of what is being said by the media and coaches. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
20 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Believe it or not, there are actually people out there who are not optimistic about the 2022 season regardless of what is being said by the media and coaches. 

Let's be honest.  Can you blame them?  I'm still both excited for the season for sure mostly because of the newcomers to be honest (Whipple and Joseph as well) but as usual I'm still cautiously optimistic.  Reason being the SF factor if I'm being honest.  

7 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Let's be honest.  Can you blame them?  I'm still both excited for the season for sure mostly because of the newcomers to be honest (Whipple and Joseph as well) but as usual I'm still cautiously optimistic.  Reason being the SF factor if I'm being honest.  

I don't blame them at all no.  The SF factor is my reasoning as well for pumping the brakes.  There could be a lot of good change happening, but then again there might not with the same guy as HC.  We shall see won't we? 

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Let's be honest.  Can you blame them?  I'm still both excited for the season for sure mostly because of the newcomers to be honest but as usual I'm still cautiously optimistic.  Reason being the SF factor if I'm being honest.

Least you are looking forward to something. The players don't need pessimistic people around the program like professors or teachers that made AM feel uncomfortable. Yes you can say he has thick skin and it didn't bother him but when your own teachers put you on blast in front of the whole class someone needs to step up and tell whoever that its not needed. Players are trying their best to help this team they don't need pessimistic people to bring them down in the process.

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't blame them at all no.  The SF factor is my reasoning as well for pumping the brakes.  There could be a lot of good change happening, but then again there might not with the same guy as HC.  We shall see won't we? 

Exactly how I feel.  Of course the key word is 'could' which I feel like is the key word every single season pretty much.  With guys like CT and Mathis coming on board I'm hopeful.

6 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Not really. What you are describing is a pass heavy offense. A pass first offense is an offensive mindset where you use the passing game to spread the field and open the run game up to face more 6 man sets. The opposite is the run first approach which means you are using the run game to crowd the box, getting the defense to commit an 8th man to the run defense and drawing the safeties in then using the pass to exploit the space that creates downfield. Not quite the same thing.

Fair points, but in the context of using percentage of pass vs run plays in the previous posts, I think the meaning of "pass-first" is different.

I think people are thinking that Whipple is going to do some form of air raid because his focus in his career has been QB coaching and keying on that making plays with the arm. But, I’m not convinced that he doesn’t understand the importance of a ground game. I dont think guys last as long as he has without understanding the importance of both the pass and the run. 

• Plus1 1