PGA Tour 2022

Mavric

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While it is hilarious that his NFL career is now an afterthought, it is not by accident. Woodhead has gotten into plus-handicap territory in retirement, and, as his Wikipedia page says, he's already qualified for a number of USGA events. This past year, Woodhead made it to the Sectional Qualifying stage for the U.S. Open, a herculean feat for some of the top club pros and amateurs in the world let alone a running back who didn't get serious about golf until he hung up the cleats. 

How has Woodhead gotten so good so fast? Look no further than his football career. Woodhead wasn't highly recruited in his home state of Nebraska, and he was always the smallest guy in the room. But he gritted and grinded his way to a nearly 10-year NFL career, so it should come as no surprise that he's found success on the golf course, too. Much of the credit, however, goes to Woodhead's amazing wife Stacia, who once told him the one thing every golfer dreams of hearing from their wife: get the hell out of the house. 

"We retired, it was a couple months in, and she was like 'ya know, during the week, you really need to go golf or something," Woodhead said on this week's episode of The Loop podcast. "I looked at her and I was like, is this a trap game? When you have trap games in the NFL you are literally like 'is this a trap game?' I kind of looked at her and said 'Golf? Like you want me to play golf?' She had been running a house for that many years and me being home kind of interrupted it. She loves me, right? I love her. But it was kind of like, just get out of the house." 

Luckily for Woodhead, it was not, in fact, a trap game. He and his wife came to an understanding that he'd be gone all week just like any other human would be for work, only he'd be grinding away on his game. Really, really good work if you can get it, we'd say. 

Link