Huskers vs Expected Wins

Mavric

2 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Our record indicates we've been a crap team that can't win. You can point to all the stats on offense/defense that you want but by far the most important stat is the Win/Loss column. And that stat is crap. When those other stats start to translate into wins then they might mean something but until then pointing to stats that "show we are much better than our record indicates" is nothing more than pointing to moral victories.

I get your point but the stats do mean something.  We have done a lot right and truly were very close last year.  I think that plays a pretty big part in offseason motivation, some players decisions to stay, Frost getting another year, and recruiting.  It also added immensely to the entertainment value of the games.  Heartbreaking in the end but most of the games last year were exciting to watch- at least up until Minnesota.     

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Whose expectations are these? Official CFB prognosticators? Las Vegas? 

The other way to look at this is that expectations for Nebraska have remained high, even a generation after the Glory Years. 

Unreasonably high? I mean, me and Las Vegas just assumed Scott Frost could do four games better than Mike Riley with the same raw materials. For that matter, everyone figured Mike Riley finally had the pieces in place to build on his 9 win season in 2016. Bo Pelini had too many wins to show much win improvement, but every year his team was ranked higher in pre-season than it finished.

Hard to accept, but the media has had a pro-Nebraska bias for years. 

I guess you are right. We are expecting too much from a Scott Frost team. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Cigarman said:

I guess you are right. We are expecting too much from a Scott Frost team. 

Exactly. If this analysis is wrong as some are claiming and the statement in the article "A 3-9 season that should have been a whole lot better!" is hogwash then maybe 3-9 is exactly where we should have ended up. Even with all the close games and the ones we literally gave away. Doesn't bode well for the future at all.

• Fire 1

I'm telling you this is the curse of Bo, if they fire me they will never win anything again...  not sure when he said it, i think it was after the big12 CG or right before SE fired him for being a hot head and a good coach at the same time (who would love 8-9 wins a season right now?).  The best improvement to NU's athletic programs was firing (um, sorry... retiring) of Harvey Pearlman...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 2/13/2022 at 5:37 PM, San Diego Husker said:

I'm telling you this is the curse of Bo, if they fire me they will never win anything again...  not sure when he said it, i think it was after the big12 CG or right before SE fired him for being a hot head and a good coach at the same time (who would love 8-9 wins a season right now?).  The best improvement to NU's athletic programs was firing (um, sorry... retiring) of Harvey Pearlman...

It's always worth reminding folks that Bo Pelini had one of the worst records against ranked teams of any P5 coach, went on to get fired as HC at the lower pressure, more forgiving Youngstown State, before flaming out at LSU for one historically bad statistical season in his return as DC. 

Bo Pelini cursed himself. Nebraska is on its second HC, third AD, and has had a new non-Perleman chancellor for 7 years now. The last thing we need to blame is superstition. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1