Realistic Options

10 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think Fred is back next year. If we move on from Fred, I really don't care who we get. Fred was a can't miss hire. Guys like Pikiell and Gard were far from "sexy hires". Just find a guy with a plan who can get the kids to play hard - don't care if he's currently coaching high school kids. 

I still think Fred is about as good a coach as NU will ever get.  Better just keep him at this point.  This team’s got some (maybe too many) skilled players.  He recruits as well as any coach we’ve ever had.  He just needs to blend and sort, mix and rematch.  Find a few old fashioned blue collar guys to do more of the grunt work.  

Sometimes stars are all about me, not we, and shooting 3s and dunks.  And I sometimes think those two rule changes (dunk, 3 pt line) are the ruination of good basketball.  Although I liked both!  lol. I’d maybe add a 4 pt line another 7 ft out.  Shot clock is too short.  Maybe turn it in for final 5 minutes of each half.  I’d also make all fouls in those final 5 minutes 2 shots and ball possession.  I hate the foul fest end to every game, or just award the pts with the call. 

Fred can coach. He’s done it before.  Neb is NOT a mens BB place.  Never has been and many have said it can’t be done.  Idk.  But I think Fred deserves more time.  He got a big, long term deal for good reasons.  Let’s see how it works to stick with a plan once.  Can’t lose what you’ve never had.  Every reason that Frost has for being still on the job, applies to Fred and then some imo. Fred had proven success over time. Frost had a Cinderella season basically.  Both after 3 years are at the bottom looking up.  A couple more years and reassess then.   

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I still think Fred is about as good a coach as NU will ever get.  Better just keep him at this point.  This team’s got some (maybe too many) skilled players.  He recruits as well as any coach we’ve ever had.  He just needs to blend and sort, mix and rematch.  Find a few old fashioned blue collar guys to do more of the grunt work.  

Sometimes stars are all about me, not we, and shooting 3s and dunks.  And I sometimes think those two rule changes (dunk, 3 pt line) are the ruination of good basketball.  Although I liked both!  lol. I’d maybe add a 4 pt line another 7 ft out.  Shot clock is too short.  Maybe turn it in for final 5 minutes of each half.  I’d also make all fouls in those final 5 minutes 2 shots and ball possession.  I hate the foul fest end to every game, or just award the pts with the call. 

Fred can coach. He’s done it before.  Neb is NOT a mens BB place.  Never has been and many have said it can’t be done.  Idk.  But I think Fred deserves more time.  He got a big, long term deal for good reasons.  Let’s see how it works to stick with a plan once.  Can’t lose what you’ve never had.  Every reason that Frost has for being still on the job, applies to Fred and then some imo. Fred had proven success over time. Frost had a Cinderella season basically.  Both after 3 years are at the bottom looking up.  A couple more years and reassess then.   

There is no such thing as "too many skilled players".  It's up to the coach to sort out who the best are and teach them how to play as a team....then have good players coming in off the bench.  

As to your second paragraph.  The only change I can see that would improve the game is to expand the court to the size of the NBA and have the NBA three point line.  That would improve the inside game.

Fred very well could be our best answer right now.  But, he needs to do some real soul searching and make changes similar to what Scott did.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys...my name is Jeff Linder.  I am currently the head basketball coach at the university of Wyoming. 

The two years prior to my arrival, Wyoming was 8-24 and 9-24, respectively. 

My first year in Laramie,  we went 14-11, led our league in ppg and 3pt% and now this year we are currently 22-4, leading the mountain west conference and NCAA tournament bound.

My base salary is $225,000 with incentives to go up to $260,000.

You won't be the only suitor...so act swiftly in your pursuit.  

Sincerely,

Jeff

UW_MBB_Coach_Jeff_Linder.png

• Plus1 2

On 2/15/2022 at 8:37 AM, BigRedBuster said:

There is no such thing as "too many skilled players".  It's up to the coach to sort out who the best are and teach them how to play as a team....then have good players coming in off the bench.  

As to your second paragraph.  The only change I can see that would improve the game is to expand the court to the size of the NBA and have the NBA three point line.  That would improve the inside game.

Fred very well could be our best answer right now.  But, he needs to do some real soul searching and make changes similar to what Scott did.

You don't really think Scotty made all these changes on his own do you?? 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Hey guys...my name is Jeff Linder.  I am currently the head basketball coach at the university of Wyoming. 

The two years prior to my arrival, Wyoming was 8-24 and 9-24, respectively. 

My first year in Laramie,  we went 14-11, led our league in ppg and 3pt% and now this year we are currently 22-4, leading the mountain west conference and NCAA tournament bound.

My base salary is $225,000 with incentives to go up to $260,000.

You won't be the only suitor...so act swiftly in your pursuit.  

Sincerely,

Jeff

UW_MBB_Coach_Jeff_Linder.png

Sounds a lot like Tim Miles.

26 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Sounds a lot like Tim Miles.

Tim miles took over a program that was 17-13 the previous season, didn't have a winning record at csu until year 4...didn't make it to the ncaas until year 5...was 17 games under .500 at csu and 22 games under .500 in the mountain west. 

Linder has only been at Wyoming 2 years...not 5.  Both winning seasons and an ncaa birth and potential conference championship in year 2.  

Also, miles finished his tenure here with an above .500 record and won 22 and 19 games his final 2 seasons before he got canned.  Linder is not tim miles...but even tim miles would be better than what is currently our situation.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think he's back next year and should be. Don't throw that money out the window. Suck it up for another season. It's not like Nebraska wins conference titles in hoops or makes it to March Madness. I think it sucks to be in this position, but if he was going to get terminated, they should have done it 3 weeks ago.  Now or end of year makes no sense.

I can only look forward to next season.  Lots of players will be gone.  Briedenbach (spelling) will be back from injury.  Many new guys will see the floor.  Who knows, the Huskers could even win 5-8 conference games next year (in the NW / Indiana / Penn State range etc).

I feel the lineup on the floor is awful together.  Just friggin terrible. 

Bryce & Trey are good-to-great high quality team players.  And they're probably gone.  Even if Bryce doesn't go pro, he can easily transfer to a winner for a year, then go pro.  I think he could use one more year of CBB and hone up his skills.  Would probably go higher in draft with another year (unless some team over values him). 

And finally, I don't know if anyone would come here, but Trev needs to blow up Hoiberg's staff.  We need new better coaches for shooting, rebounding and defense to surround Hoiberg. 

42 minutes ago, admo said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think he's back next year and should be. Don't throw that money out the window. Suck it up for another season. It's not like Nebraska wins conference titles in hoops or makes it to March Madness. I think it sucks to be in this position, but if he was going to get terminated, they should have done it 3 weeks ago.  Now or end of year makes no sense.

I guess I'm still thinking he'll be back.  I just don't see us paying a buyout bigger than the gross annual revenue of the program.

Apparently I'm pretty stuck in apathy right now.  I think he'll be back and my expectations for the program are pretty low so I'm fine with that.  But I'm also fine if he's fired.

I kind of doubt we'll be any good next year either way.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I'm still thinking he'll be back.  I just don't see us paying a buyout bigger than the gross annual revenue of the program.

Apparently I'm pretty stuck in apathy right now.  I think he'll be back and my expectations for the program are pretty low so I'm fine with that.  But I'm also fine if he's fired.

I kind of doubt we'll be any good next year either way.

You're probably right! and I'm having a hard time following the rest of the season as well. 

3 hours ago, admo said:

I can only look forward to next season.  Lots of players will be gone.  Briedenbach (spelling) will be back from injury.  Many new guys will see the floor.  Who knows, the Huskers could even win 5-8 conference games next year (in the NW / Indiana / Penn State range etc).

I feel the lineup on the floor is awful together.  Just friggin terrible. 

Bryce & Trey are good-to-great high quality team players.  And they're probably gone.  Even if Bryce doesn't go pro, he can easily transfer to a winner for a year, then go pro.  I think he could use one more year of CBB and hone up his skills.  Would probably go higher in draft with another year (unless some team over values him). 

And finally, I don't know if anyone would come here, but Trev needs to blow up Hoiberg's staff.  We need new better coaches for shooting, rebounding and defense to surround Hoiberg. 

I would be shocked if he isn't back.  I think the buyout is too big.

How good the team is next year will depend on who comes back & who thinks it's a sinking ship.  Wilcher & Edwards basically have no choice but to come back since they have already used their one time free transfer.

I agree that Bryce should come back for another year of college basketball.  He needs to be more consistent with his outside shot, get stronger & work on his ball handling/passing.  With NIL he should be able to make pretty good money if he stays at NU.  Not as much as in the NBA, but he will get playing time at NU and ride the pine in the NBA.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I would be shocked if he isn't back.  I think the buyout is too big.

How good the team is next year will depend on who comes back & who thinks it's a sinking ship.  Wilcher & Edwards basically have no choice but to come back since they have already used their one time free transfer.

I agree that Bryce should come back for another year of college basketball.  He needs to be more consistent with his outside shot, get stronger & work on his ball handling/passing.  With NIL he should be able to make pretty good money if he stays at NU.  Not as much as in the NBA, but he will get playing time at NU and ride the pine in the NBA.

Agreed.  It sure would be nice though, to find an Erick Strickland, a Chris Cresswell, a Bruce Chubik, and a Mikki Moore.