Realistic Options

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

"The buyout number would decrease by $3.5 million for each season Hoiberg remains employed by NU. There is also mitigation language in Hoiberg’s contract that would decrease a potential buyout based on Hoiberg’s salary at his next job."

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/extension-hefty-buyout-part-of-hoiberg-contract-that-was-quietly-revised-in-2020/article_668a9258-cdd7-5fd8-acb9-009ecd1323f0.html

So really we are only looking at a difference of what it takes to hire a new coach. If our athletic department is so worried about a couple million bucks when they bring in what they bring in and they trot Fred back next season well....I have lost hope. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

13 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So really we are only looking at a difference of what it takes to hire a new coach. If our athletic department is so worried about a couple million bucks when they bring in what they bring in and they trot Fred back next season well....I have lost hope. 

trot fred out with minimum wage assistants and support people.  make it hard enuff to make him quit!

7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I would take Tim back with open arms at this point.  Fred just isn't working... At all.  

I agree.  He isn't.  What is so disappointing is the lack of competitiveness in our players.  These guys are good BB players and they were obviously hard working competitive players before they got here.  Why aren't they now?  Ultimately, that falls on Fred.  But.....at some point, the players need to look in the mirror and ask themselves if they are putting forth maximum effort.....and they aren't.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  He isn't.  What is so disappointing is the lack of competitiveness in our players.  These guys are good BB players and they were obviously hard working competitive players before they got here.  Why aren't they now?  Ultimately, that falls on Fred.  But.....at some point, the players need to look in the mirror and ask themselves if they are putting forth maximum effort.....and they aren't.

Unfortunately this team had a few really close games that didn't go there way.  Winning cures everything.  But after losses started piling up this team had nothing to play for and the better players on this team are likely only worried about their next step.  It's frustrating though because we've fielded much better teams with a lot less talent (on paper anyway).  

10 minutes ago, Farms said:

Unfortunately this team had a few really close games that didn't go there way.  Winning cures everything.  But after losses started piling up this team had nothing to play for and the better players on this team are likely only worried about their next step.  It's frustrating though because we've fielded much better teams with a lot less talent (on paper anyway).  

OK...I agree.  But, wouldn't those better players on the team want to put forth maximum effort to look good so they can get to the best place possible at the next step?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...I agree.  But, wouldn't those better players on the team want to put forth maximum effort to look good so they can get to the best place possible at the next step?

I barely see them put forth the effort on defense after a missed gimme at the rim. That will occur consecutively and then the third possession is hero ball drive or 3 for another brick. In that span, the opponent has had 5 possessions and just rattled off 10-12 points. 

…too many transfers and roster turnover, and his PGs can’t be a revolving door of 1 and done (or less) selfish play

honest question here. 

I have heard the local media laugh and joke about how terrible the basketball team is and how you cant bring Fred back etc. Why did they not have the same tone after year 3 of Frost? Year 4 and we are "close" with Frost so he needs another year. Why isnt Hoiberg given a 4th year to see if he can be close in all his games? Hoiberg took over the absolute historically bad power conference program and has tried to continually flip the roster to make it better. It hasnt worked out at all. But why does Hoiberg is recruiting at the best level in nebrasketball history. Should we see if these last two high school classes can become something? Is that worse than having a new coach come in and have to completely flip the roster like Fred tried to do when he got here. Will the new coach be able to stock the cupboards at the B1G level to make us competitive? How many years will that take? 3 or 4? I just wish the media etc. would be fair on both sides of all of this. 

11 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

honest question here. 

I have heard the local media laugh and joke about how terrible the basketball team is and how you cant bring Fred back etc. Why did they not have the same tone after year 3 of Frost? Year 4 and we are "close" with Frost so he needs another year. Why isnt Hoiberg given a 4th year to see if he can be close in all his games?

I'm not necessarily in the Fire Hoiberg camp.  I honestly don't know what to think at this point.

But if you can't tell the difference between the competitiveness of the football team and the competitiveness of the basketball team, I don't know what to tell you.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
31 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

honest question here. 

I have heard the local media laugh and joke about how terrible the basketball team is and how you cant bring Fred back etc. Why did they not have the same tone after year 3 of Frost? Year 4 and we are "close" with Frost so he needs another year. Why isnt Hoiberg given a 4th year to see if he can be close in all his games? Hoiberg took over the absolute historically bad power conference program and has tried to continually flip the roster to make it better. It hasnt worked out at all. But why does Hoiberg is recruiting at the best level in nebrasketball history. Should we see if these last two high school classes can become something? Is that worse than having a new coach come in and have to completely flip the roster like Fred tried to do when he got here. Will the new coach be able to stock the cupboards at the B1G level to make us competitive? How many years will that take? 3 or 4? I just wish the media etc. would be fair on both sides of all of this. 

If you're truly watching both teams, it's obvious that there is a huge difference between how the football team was playing compared to the basketball team.  

If Fred comes back, I'm not going to be someone coming on here complaining about it.  The program is where it is and someone's going to have to bring it back to some level of competitiveness.  If Trev decides Fred is the best option for another year, then so be it.  The problem I see with the basketball team is that I could see a mass exodus of players after the season.  When you watch them, they are clearly not bought into what Fred is selling.  That wasn't the case with the football team.  So, if whomever is the coach has to completely rebuild the roster, do we want Fred to do it or a new coach?

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If you're truly watching both teams, it's obvious that there is a huge difference between how the football team was playing compared to the basketball team.  

If Fred comes back, I'm not going to be someone coming on here complaining about it.  The program is where it is and someone's going to have to bring it back to some level of competitiveness.  If Trev decides Fred is the best option for another year, then so be it.  The problem I see with the basketball team is that I could see a mass exodus of players after the season.  When you watch them, they are clearly not bought into what Fred is selling.  That wasn't the case with the football team.  So, if whomever is the coach has to completely rebuild the roster, do we want Fred to do it or a new coach?

I think they buyout keeps him here at least another year.  I just don't see laying out that kind of money for a program that has traditionally been pretty low-achieving.

And I don't really have an issue with that.  It's not like we're going to be competing for conference championships or Sweet 16s anytime soon, no matter who the coach is.  Fred recruits better than anyone we've had.  I'm fine with another year or two to see if he can at least get us to the middle of the conference.  Although I'd really like to see a significant decrease in the complete disasters next year to go past that.

• Plus1 1