Realistic Options

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think they buyout keeps him here at least another year.  I just don't see laying out that kind of money for a program that has traditionally been pretty low-achieving.

And I don't really have an issue with that.  It's not like we're going to be competing for conference championships or Sweet 16s anytime soon, no matter who the coach is.  Fred recruits better than anyone we've had.  I'm fine with another year or two to see if he can at least get us to the middle of the conference.  Although I'd really like to see a significant decrease in the complete disasters next year to go past that.

The cost of keeping him another year might be higher?  I don't know.

What I do know is he is performing terribly at Nebraska and his players aren't giving 100% under his leadership.  Fred would have to lead Nebraska to a conference record of 46-30 over the next 76 games just to tie the performance of the guy we fired before him.  It's not going to happen.      

53 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not necessarily in the Fire Hoiberg camp.  I honestly don't know what to think at this point.

But if you can't tell the difference between the competitiveness of the football team and the competitiveness of the basketball team, I don't know what to tell you.

No kidding. 

Not to mention that Scott came to Neb with 2 years of G5 Head Coaching experience. Fred had nearly a decade worth of head coaching experience, half at a P5 school and half in the NBA. The level of incompetence shown by Fred is staggering. 

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm not necessarily in the Fire Hoiberg camp.  I honestly don't know what to think at this point.

But if you can't tell the difference between the competitiveness of the football team and the competitiveness of the basketball team, I don't know what to tell you.

Like the butt kicking Frost endured his 3rd year against tOSU? I understand they are different situations. I also understand that Frost took over a blue blood program and Hoiberg took over a never been program. I just wish a little more consistency existed in criticisms. We had close games this year against good teams. We had blowout losses to all sorts of teams. Simply saying it is apparent that Frost gets special treatment because MuH 9o'S

2 hours ago, Fru said:

No kidding. 

Not to mention that Scott came to Neb with 2 years of G5 Head Coaching experience. Fred had nearly a decade worth of head coaching experience, half at a P5 school and half in the NBA. The level of incompetence shown by Fred is staggering. 

and both are at the bottom of win % for their programs in our lifetimes. 

30 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Like the butt kicking Frost endured his 3rd year against tOSU? I understand they are different situations. I also understand that Frost took over a blue blood program and Hoiberg took over a never been program. I just wish a little more consistency existed in criticisms. We had close games this year against good teams. We had blowout losses to all sorts of teams. Simply saying it is apparent that Frost gets special treatment because MuH 9o'S

Hoiberg took over a program that was actually doing pretty good by Nebraska basketball standards.  We finished 4th in the conference in 2017-18 with a record of 22-11.  In 2018-19 we still had a winning record with 19 wins.  Both years went to the NIT.  Frost took over after Riley's team finished 4-8.  The two situations are nowhere near the same. 

As far as competitiveness, the basketball team has played a couple close games but it is obvious his guys are quitting on him.  There is turmoil with players fighting, calling out coaches publicly, etc.  You never saw quit in the football team this past season save for maybe a little of the Minnesota game.  Frosts has his players playing for him.  Fred does not.  Frost isn't getting special treatment imo.  He is being given one more chance because he appears close to turning the corner.  Fred's team is showing the exact opposite.    

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Total annual revenue for men's basketball is about $15M.  So I'm pretty sure any lost revenue (which would pretty much just be ticket sales) is not going to hold a candle to an $18M buyout.

I agree but the 15 million isn't the figure to focus on imo.  The 3.5 we save by keeping him another year is.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him turn it around but it is looking less and less likely with each passing game.   

10 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Hoiberg took over a program that was actually doing pretty good by Nebraska basketball standards.  We finished 4th in the conference in 2017-18 with a record of 22-11.  In 2018-19 we still had a winning record with 19 wins.  Both years went to the NIT.  Frost took over after Riley's team finished 4-8.  The two situations are nowhere near the same. 

As far as competitiveness, the basketball team has played a couple close games but it is obvious his guys are quitting on him.  There is turmoil with players fighting, calling out coaches publicly, etc.  You never saw quit in the football team this past season save for maybe a little of the Minnesota game.  Frosts has his players playing for him.  Fred does not.  Frost isn't getting special treatment imo.  He is being given one more chance because he appears close to turning the corner.  Fred's team is showing the exact opposite.    

I am comparing year 3's not this current year for Frost. 

44 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

and both are at the bottom of win % for their programs in our lifetimes. 

Okay? No one is disputing that. You started off by wondering why the media hasn’t been as hard on Frost as they have been on Fred, which I have no idea how you arrived to that conclusion. Frost has been rightfully scrutinized for his entire tenure at Nebraska. 

But moreover, Frost and Fred are not an apples to apples comparison. 

Frost gets another year because his team had the redemptive quality of being competitive, while also playing ball by taking a pay cut and axing half his staff. 

Fred, a man who spent half a decade coaching at the highest level of this sport, is three years and still getting blown out with his team visibly quitting on him. 

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am comparing year 3's not this current year for Frost. 

And you don't think circumstances were just a bit different in Frosts 3rd year??  Covid, no fans, etc... is the same circumstances Fred is facing this year?  Seriously man.  Neither has performed well but there is a drastic difference between the trajectory of both programs.     

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

And you don't think circumstances were just a bit different in Frosts 3rd year??  Covid, no fans, etc... is the same circumstances Fred is facing this year?  Seriously man.  Neither has performed well but there is a drastic difference between the trajectory of both programs.     

id imagine the trajectory over time for both is that neither will win a conference or national championship during their time at NU. 

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We get it.  You're pissed off that Frost is still here. You have made that very clear over and over again.

I am actually not pissed off that Frost is still here. Should he be? Probably not but he actually made at minimum 3 upgrades in his assistant coaches out of 4. Just seems odd how up in arms people are after 3 years of Fred and 4 years of Frost. I will cheer on the Huskers and hope they win every game in every sport. I hope Frost turns it around next season allowing Busch and Joseph to get the cupboards stocked up with NFL talent. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am actually not pissed off that Frost is still here. Should he be? Probably not but he actually made at minimum 3 upgrades in his assistant coaches out of 4. Just seems odd how up in arms people are after 3 years of Fred and 4 years of Frost. I will cheer on the Huskers and hope they win every game in every sport. I hope Frost turns it around next season allowing Busch and Joseph to get the cupboards stocked up with NFL talent. 

And, it's been explained to you over and over again but you don't seem to accept it.

• Plus1 1

I'm not sure who they would realistically go after and have a chance to get.

At this point, I'm assuming that Fred will be back next year because I don't think the athletic department wants to be on the hook for 18.5M for him with the potential to need to buy out Frost at the end of the football season.  If neither of them turn it around next season they will bite the bullet and eat both buyouts, but they have to be hoping that at least one of them does manage to turn it around.

We just have to hope that the players he brings in are better than the players that leave.  Maybe not individually, but from a whole team concept.  I still don't see anyone who will be a true point guard next season.  Not necessarily a pass first guy, but someone who will actually run the offense and not feel like he has to play hero ball half the time.